Cardinal George: US is adopting 'official religion' on homosexuality that is reminiscent of sharia [CC]

In an archdiocesan newspaper column, Cardinal Francis George of Chicago said that American law has "taken upon itself the mantle of a religion and officially told its citizens what they …

More…

“What was once a request to live and let live has now become a demand for approval.”

Here is a link to Cardinal George’s column.

This is a great column. Just the first couple of paragraphs describing so concisely the Church are worth a separate read, and he makes wonderful point throughout on the topic.

Eventually, if we keep going down this road, it will be a crime to even speak out against homosexuality.

Be careful Mikekle,

someone will report you. :slight_smile:

In Canada, people have been prosecuted for doing so. Luckily. we have the First Amendment in the US.

The first amendment notwithstanding, when one speaks what is essentially Catholic doctrine on homosexuality (or nearly any other matter involving sex) many people will take it as ‘hate speech.’

The fact that no hate is present makes you wonder about the sanity of such a reaction.

When anyone speaks the truth about sex, contraception, cohabitation, homosexual practices, or anything which people are in fact practicing in their own life or in their friends’ lives, no matter how neutral the language, it is perceived as a personal attack. The fact that general social morality has been in decline since the 1960’s means that a lot of people will perceive Catholic doctrine as a personal attack on themselves.

That is how they will get around the 1st amendment, they already call it hate speech in many areas, wont take much for it to become a national/ legal thing. Its a shame they can find ways around what our founders wanted.

Right now, its being used to help the homosexual community, but Ive said before, what group is next is anyones guess!! I think pedophiles will begin to fight for their ‘rights’ next, but it could be any fringe group really, maybe bestiality, etc. who knows! LOL

As far as I can tell it’s already considered hardcore bigotry. It’s a form of thought crime, and at some point in the future it will probably be considered an actual legal hate crime. One can certainly lose one’s job for speaking out against homosexuality, depending on where one works.

Cardinal George has written a very brave column that rings with truth. It is astonishing that a sub-group estimated to be no larger than one and a half percent of the population has effected such a sweeping change.

Sodomite “right to marriage” is being mainly crammed down on the general population as law by tyrannical extreme liberal and radical Jacobins on the bench and Cultural Marxist phony fake “conservative” state and Federal judges who are destroying the People’s state constitutions and the U.S. Constitution and democratically enacted laws against this degeneracy passed by popular vote, in my opinion.

One can certainly lose one’s job for speaking out in favour of homosexuality, depending on where one works, for that matter, but apparently that is OK with Catholics. :shrug:

Matthew 7:3 would seem applicable.

The whole idea of “hate speech” is just a tool of the left to shut down an speech they disagree with. When a person accuses another of “hate speech”, they are just saying “I hate your position and don’t have the arguments to refute it”.

The equivalent would be a gay youth program firing an employee who thinks gay sex is wrong. Surely you would defend their right to do that, and so you should also defend the right of a Catholic school to fire employees who go against the school’s fundamental moral beliefs.

It is no coincidence that this whole homosexual equality thing is where it is right now…it is an abomination to God, that is the intent, I truly think in the near future, a homosexual couple will challenge the church on why they cant get married in a church…and will probably win in a court case. They likely probably dont even care about being married in a church, but are doing it out of spite for the church and all it stands for…they want to ‘get back at the church’.

One can certainly lose one’s job for speaking out in favour of homosexuality, depending on where one works, for that matter, but apparently that is OK with Catholics. :shrug:

The equivalent would be a gay youth program firing an employee who thinks gay sex is wrong.
[/quote]

Well, no. I said nothing about where I stand on the continuum of (employers always have the right to fire employees for expressing their beliefs) <—> (employers never have the right to fire employees for expressing their beliefs) - I just pointed out the double standard being applied to Catholics firing liberals for expressing their beliefs or liberals firing Catholics.

And there is an interesting bias in your ‘equivalency’ - very obviously the equivalent to a Catholic school with a strong anti-gay statement of moral beliefs firing a teacher who dared to express pro-gay sentiments in private would be a Secular school with a strong pro-gay statement of moral beliefs firing a teacher who dared to express anti-gay sentiments in private. Yet you feel the need to distort your equivalency into a charity whose entire aim is explicitly to support homosexuality.

Why is that? Do you feel that Catholics somehow have more rights than everyone else? That every single business run by a Catholic should receive the same consideration as a charity whose sole aim was to promote the ideals of Catholicism? :ehh:

So by the same logic you should support the right of the gay youth program to fire an employee who thinks gay sex is wrong, so you agree that it is perfectly OK that one can “lose one’s job for speaking out against homosexuality, depending on where one works” and disagree with Exiled Child, so what, exactly, is your point? :wink:

How very right you are.

Yes, I find that so strange. Discrimination or “hatred” against homosexuality (which is basically anything short of complete acceptance) is put on a par with racism, supporting slavery, the degradation of a WHOLE RACE of people by another race. I mean, the unspeakable cruelty inflicted on generations of slaves. It’s ludicrous. And almost everyone unquestioningly adopts this position. To me, it’s an indication of the increasing irrationalism and amorality of the left, and in turn of the culture in general. It is a religion, no doubt. It’s not just 1.5% of the population driving this - gays just have this wind at their back. I don’t think there is really that much mutual understanding between the left and the gay community. It’s the left’s mindset - it doesn’t seek to understand anything.

But I personally can’t believe this kind of thing can last. Maybe I am being optimistic, but I can’t think of an example of such extremism surviving. Look at communism, Nazism, or maybe more like an inverted puritanism, sharia law, etc. Usually people somehow break through back to sanity, balance, openness. Might not be too pretty though how we get there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.