Cardinal: If Lefebvre had seen proper Mass, he may not have split

ATTN: MODERATION STAFF: I debated whether this qualified as “news” or not and considered the Traditional Catholicism forum as well. If you would rather this thread is there and do not wish to move it yourself, please let me know and I will gladly re-post there.

Rome, Italy, Jan 18, 2013 / 01:09 pm (CNA).- According to a Spanish cardinal, the superior general of the Society of St. Pius X once said that if the group’s leader had seen the Mass celebrated properly, he may not have broken off from the Church.

Cardinal Antonio Canizares, prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship, made this statement on Jan. 15 in response to questions from reporters after he delivered an address on Vatican II at the Spanish Embassy to the Holy See.

“On one occasion,” Cardinal Canizares recalled, “Bishop (Bernard) Fellay, who is the leader of the Society of St. Pius X, came to see me and said, ‘We just came from an abbey that is near Florence. If Archbishop (Marcel) Lefebvre had seen how they celebrated there, he would not have taken the step that he did.’”

“The missal used at that celebration was the Paul VI Missal in its strictest form,” the cardinal added.

catholicnewsagency.com/news/cardinal-if-lefebrve-had-seen-proper-mass-he-may-not-have-split/

Very interesting information, in my view. Considering that the most beautiful Masses I have seen are at monasteries or being celebrated by monks, I find it interesting, and not surprising, that the Mass in this particular article was being conducted in that setting.

I cannot of course, speak for Bishop Fellay’s statement on the matter.

Peace of Christ,

I have to agree with my Lord Cardinal.

Thanks for the post.

No problem.

agreed.

youtube.com/watch?v=5aed3AFwsWE

Not so fast, it seems.

sspx.org/superior_generals_news/what_bishop_fellay_really_said_to_cardinal_canizares_about_the_new_mass_1-21-2013.htm

Cardinal Antonio Canizares, the Prefect for the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, stated to the press on January 15th:

On one occasion, Bishop (Bernard) Fellay, who is the leader of the Society of St. Pius X, came to see me and said, “We just came from an abbey that is near Florence. If Archbishop (Marcel) Lefebvre had seen how they celebrated there, he would not have taken the step that he did”… The missal used at that celebration was the Paul VI Missal in its strictest form.[1]

Bishop Fellay has kindly given sspx.org this clarification of what he actually said, and the context of his words, concerning the Novus Ordo Missae.

Unfortunate.

However, at the time Bishop Lefebvre said he was interested in the training of priests, not necessarily the form of the Mass they celebrated. Was he disengenuous then? Has the issue gotten so far away from them that they no longer know?

If the Mass he witnessed then was acceptable (and was the OF), than it is wrong for the SSPX to now say the OF is invalid and “bad”. They could certainly say that it is not always celebrated well, which is something we can all agree on. But to digenerate it is always bad and wrong for people to attend isan appalling claim on their part.

This revelation actually makes their situation worse, not better. :frowning:

Edited to add this after reading the update:

The New Mass puts at risk the Catholic Faith and the numerous examples of faithful and priests who have lost the Faith directly linked with the celebration of the Novus Ordo are quite blatant.

The POPE celebrates the “New Mass”. So he is in effect saying that by going to a papal Mass you may be putting your faith at risk. :eek:

I am truly scandalized! :mad:

I don’t think I’ve ever attended an improper Mass. The New Mass has many options and many vernaculars and if people clap or laugh or dance, it’s really reflective of that culture, not the Mass itself I would think.

The whole subtext here is really frightening.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.