Cardinal Joe: Fixing Trump’s Immigration Ban is a Pro-Life Issue

Cardinal Joseph Tobin of Newark has a new article on Trump’s immigration ban:

The stark, clear and urgent language of Scripture impels my brother bishops and me to call on the federal government to alter its executive actions, and instead craft a well-conceived and comprehensive approach to immigration and refugee-resettlement reform that both protects our people and national security and treats newcomers and refugees with respect, mercy, love and kindness.

The reasons for our objections and our call for a better approach are easy to understand. Any ban that endangers the lives of people who have served alongside U.S. forces in Iraq, for example, can only result in Iraqi men, women and children being killed solely because they chose to help the United States. As a result, U.S. forces will be more at risk, because Iraqis who at one time would work with them will refuse to do so out of fear.

These executive actions tear families apart. Among the more moving moments during the past weekend were television images of people, already approved by the government to live or travel here, being stopped and led away in airports, and family members learning that their loved ones – children, wives, husbands, siblings, friends – were removed from airplanes and detained.

millennialjournal.com/2017/02/06/cardinal-joe-fixing-trumps-immigration-ban-is-a-pro-life-issue/

I agree with the Bishop that there needs to be reform, and like a friend reminded me, this ban is temporary.

Families who are torn apart is a horrible thing, but I wonder what their story is and why they didn’t come together?

Also, did they have to come here, there are so many other countries, and living in America is a privelege, not a right or a neccesity. This is a large earth with many countries, they didn’t have to come here, just as my ancestors didn’t have to, they chose to and didn’t demand to immigrate here.

I think that we should help and pray for those refugees. I myself wouldn’t want to be a refugee or from one of those banned countries.

But also, aren’t the countries where they come from also responsibile for splitting up families? Making conditions hard to live in, not protecting its own people. Why aren’t other Muslim majority nations taking in these people? Do they have more in common than with those banned nations than with Western post-Christian America?

Saudi Arabia for example is a rich country, with many wealthy people that can help these refugees, what are they doing to help?

Anyhow, let us pray for all refugees and for our own nation.

Tim

A thread strangely silent.

Tim,
It’s temporary right now…but how many times have we seen tyrannical governments say that and it prove to be anything but? Consider history of the 19th and 20th centuries. Heck…income taxes were supposed to be temporary…

Yet the silence speaks volumes.

[quote=]Defense Secretary James Mattis is crafting a list of Iraqis who worked with the U.S. military who he believes should be exempt from President Trump’s executive order temporarily banning visitors from seven predominantly Muslim countries, according to multiple reports.

Pentagon spokesman Capt. Jeff Davis said Monday, according to the Los Angeles Times. “We have been provided an opportunity by the White House to submit names, and we are working forward to do that.”
[/quote]

thehill.com/policy/defense/316922-mattis-writing-list-of-exemptions-from-trump-order

[quote=]A bipartisan group of House lawmakers have sent a letter urging President Donald Trump to honor a request by Secretary of Defense James Mattis to exempt Iraqis who served as “interpreters, aides and other allies who risked their lives alongside U.S. personnel in Iraq” from the recent national security executive order.

Republican Reps. Duncan Hunter of California and Adam Kinzinger of Illinois, both U.S. military veterans who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, sent the letter to the Commander-in-Chief on Monday.
[/quote]

breitbart.com/national-security/2017/02/01/mattis-urges-trump-exempt-iraqis-aiding-u-s-military-executive-order/

Just like here:

Note the absence of liberals.

This is a blog post, not a news item.

The ban on Syrian refugees is indefinite.

Amnesty international estimates that 13,000 prisoners have been executed by hanging. Their crimes were being opposed to the government.

You guys even pick fights with news bots.
:rolleyes:

:

Note the absence of liberals.Still trying to paint all who disagree with your Beloved Leader with that same big brush huh.

Your link shows misconduct by individuals …not a trend among all who disagree with or despise your president.

I notice also that by and large none of you right wingers ever do more than deflect valid questions or opposition. You cannot justify his remarks and actions so you deflect. crying "But…but…but…Obama this …8 years that… and other straw men arguments when it doesn’t matter than many of us were not fans of his either…nor of Clinton and that neither of them is in the Oval Office now , working to “Make America” a fascist police state even as another such tyrant did in Germany in the 30s and 40s.

A man who cost the lives of millions and said …

“The greater the lie, the greater the chance that it will be believed.”

“Keep a very firm grasp on reality, so you can strangle it at any time.”

“Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it”

“All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.”

“How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.”

“Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as hell, and also the other way round, to consider the most wretched sort of life as paradise.”

“The leader of genius must have the ability to make different opponents appear as if they belonged to one category.”

“If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed”

“It is not truth that matters, but victory”

:thumbsup: Thanks for pointing that out Mary. It seems like some where not paying attention to last Sundays first Mass reading from the Prophet Isaiah…

Fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 73

** Reading 1 Is 58:7-10**

*Thus says the LORD:
Share your bread with the hungry,
shelter the oppressed and the homeless;
clothe the naked when you see them,
and do not turn your back on your own.
Then your light shall break forth like the dawn,
and your wound shall quickly be healed;
your vindication shall go before you,
and the glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard.
Then you shall call, and the LORD will answer,
you shall cry for help, and he will say: Here I am!
If you remove from your midst
oppression, false accusation and malicious speech;
if you bestow your bread on the hungry
and satisfy the afflicted;
then light shall rise for you in the darkness,
and the gloom shall become for you like midday. *

When everything is a “pro-life” issue, then nothing is and I guess that’s the point. By making immigration a pro-life issue, people can justify voting for pro-abortion and pre-euthanasia political candidates because they support unlimited immigration, or universal healthcare, or universal preschool, or climate change, or whatever. The unborn just become a competing political interest.

This.

Perhaps the silence reflects that those of a conservative disposition don’t have to do cartwheels to make our beliefs fit a narrative. Hmm?

You see, I don’t support the ban on refugees and have written letters to my congressmen and continue to donate to CRS. I don’t support the death penalty and I have written several letters to my congressmen and sign petitions.

If politics were a simple check the box and vote on check marks then my decisions would be difficult. But I have a sense of proportion. For example, you mention Hitler: if one simply listed the good and the bad (without regard for just how bad the bad was or the scale of bad) that took place while was dictator of Germany, he would look heroic. End of depression, built autobahn, low crime, decrease in poverty. Check, check, check… Murdered millions. Check. From the liberal prism with regard to abortion, you don’t list out the millions, you just right down “abortion” under the bad column. See how much easier that makes things?

As leftist hero Stalin said: One death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic.

We should have had better safe zones in/near Syria from the beginning. I read Trump is taking action to make this happen. BTW, this is the strategy laid out in the UN Agreement on Refugees.

We don’t have room for everyone who is unhappy with their Government, we can impose sanctions but we can’t fool ourselves into thinking we can fix every regime we don’t like.

To boil this down to saying we don’t have room for everyone who is unhappy with their government is a gross distortion of what is going in Syria. It’s as if you’re implying that defenseless people whose families have seen multiple deaths, whose homes are destroyed, who have been gassed by their own government are just a bunch of agitators whose side lost.

No, what you said is unjust and uncharitable in the extreme.

You do realize your very presence in this country was because somebody in your family’s past was unhappy with their government?

How do you figure that?

Interesting question.
One of my hobbies has been genealogy. I have traced my family line into the early 19th century, before that the trail grows cold. My family line includes Irish, French, and Slovak. Tracing each nationality led me to very similar reasons for immigration: war, famine (or The Great Hunger as the Irish call it), or revolution. People fled to start a new life.
Perhaps that is not true for every immigrant, but for many it was.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.