Cardinal Kasper expresses regret for remarks on Africans [CC]

ardinal Walter Kasper has expressed regret about controversial remarks on African prelates in a conversation with journalist Edward Pentin, according to Catholic World Report. Cardinal …

More…

Don’t see any comment in there about his denial of ever saying the comments. Don’t see any apology to the reporter he lied about. Don’t see an apology for accusing the reporter of secretly recording him. Don’t see an apology for the fact that he was going to let this reporter have his career destroyed.

I hope he does so soon.

16By their fruits you shall know them. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit, and the evil tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit. 19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit, shall be cut down, and shall be cast into the fire. 20Wherefore by their fruits you shall know them. Matthew 7:16-20

MODERATOR NOTICE

Please remember not to make personal attacks on anyone, including Catholic clergy. Posts here at CAF are to be charitable.

Cardinal Kasper, and Cardinal Burke, need to recede from the undignified public spectacle they have unfortunately created. They have scandalized the entire synod process. Each seems to lack tact, and there is an unattractive abrasiveness that makes their public rivalry embarrassing for the church.

Frankly, another year of listening to the harsh bickering between these two prelates will be unbearable. Each position in the debate must find more attractive and sympathetic spokesmen to present their views in the public arena.

The church can do much better than what we have been subjected to with regards to the synod. We need to hear more measured tones, and far less public rancor. Respect and dignity must prevail at all times.

This is unsurprising. It seems pretty clear that Cardinal Kasper simply did not articulate his point regarding the African bishops very well.

When I listened to the “interview”, it was very hard for me to make out many of the things he was trying to say. However, I would NEVER have come to the conclusion that he made “racist” remarks. To me, when he was speaking of Africa and the African Bishops, it sounded exactly like his apology stated…he was simply saying that their cultural situation is entirely different. There, in some places, homosexuality is punishable by death, whereas in the west, the issues are about gay marriage, etc. Quite a difference!

I was SO disappointed when Cardinal Burke got huffy and made charges of “racism”.

I’m not a supporter of Cardinal Kasper and his views, but everyone deserves to be portrayed fairly.

Where did Cardinal Burke make an accusation of racism? :confused:

here: catholicworldreport.com/Blog/3449/cardinal_burke_to_cwr_confirms_transfer_praises_pushback_addresses_controversy_over_remarks_by_cardinal_kasper.aspx

The article also says that Cardinal Kasper’s “racist” remarks were “substantiated” by an audio recording. Yes, there is a recording. And it by no means substantiates the racism charges. People hear what they want to.

Thanks. I had not seen that. Burke refers to them as “racist remarks”, which is definitely better than accusing Kasper of “racism”.

I tend to think Kasper just misspoke, but I can see calling the remarks “racist”. They do sort of sound that way, though I’m sure that’s not what Kasper intended.

"Another comment made by Cardinal Kasper in speaking with Kath.net is quite breathtaking: he talked again about a “deliberate dirty trick” to denounce him. “The fact that Catholic media (and unfortunately a cardinal in person) should participate in it, in order to tear down another position morally, is shameful,” Kasper opined. When Kath.net asked as a follow-up question who that cardinal was, Kasper unfortunately gave no answer. The retired curial cardinal announced, however, that “other journalists” are going to take action against such “undignified machinations.”

It was so obvious after reading the original transcript that a conclusion of racism could only be motivated by mental deficiency or deliberate malice.

It is possible that Cardinal Burke was just a patsy reacting to the dodgy journalists original headline which read something along the lines of “Kasper says: Don’t listen to the Africans!”

Firstly, I must point out that I am not a supporter of Cardinal Kasper. His work leading up to the synod was provocative, but it has been proven out to be clumsy and flawed. Also, his tone was a bit too strident.

However, he most definitely has been, and continues to be the object of a smear campaign. I have observed this personally being played-out on EWTN’s “World Over” news program, orchestrated by the show’s host…Raymond Arroyo.

Now, it must be pointed out that Arroyo is a producer for Fox News and his style is reflective of that, but, it does not change the fact that he slams Kasper mercilessly, at every turn. Come to think of it, he never seems to miss a chance to zing Pope Francis, as well. His agenda is never well hidden.

That must be why I find myself watching EWTN “News Nighty” with more and more frequency. Good Catholic news resource without all of the political spin.

Is it even technically correct to define the African Church by ‘race’? Surely there are some white people in the African Church?

I too prefer “News Nightly”. There are no sarcastic remarks, and it is not as politically partisan.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.