Cardinal Reinhard Marx voted as new head of German Bishops Conference

dw.de/cardinal-reinhard-marx-voted-as-new-head-of-german-bishops-conference/a-17489760

The Archbishop of München and Freising, Reihard Cardinal Marx has been elected the president of the German Bishops’ Conference. He succeeds the retired Archbishop of Freiburg, Robert Zollitsch.

I find it quite surprising they voted for him, since His Eminence is already very busy. He’s an active Archbishop, a Cardinal on Pope Francis’ Council of Eight, and I think he is also on the newly established Council for the Economy.

He probably got elected because of those things, not in spite of them - especially being one of the “Eight.” The German bishops would naturally want a “seat” at the most influential table of all.

Where does he stand on communion for the divorced and remarried? That is the most pressing debate in Germany, after all.

A question for CutlerB (or anyone else that knows).

A while back, (at the time when the Diocese of Freiburg issud that “guideline” to give communion to the divorced/remarried, and the CDF made them remove it), I remember reading some German Bishops said that at their next Episcopal conference (in the Spring). they were going to vote to allow remarried people throughout Germany to take communion. At the time they acted like this vote was likely to happen and pass, and I remember people were worried about whether this would mean schism, whether they would actually do it, etc.

Is this the meeting where that would have happened? Did nothing come of it?

He and Card Kasper are the two most prominent Cardinal voices for allowing communion for the divorced/remarried.

:frowning:

That’s not surprising, but it is depressing. :frowning:

Makes sense.

Indeed, but then all Bishops on the Conference take a similar stance. Cardinal Müller is the only German bishop I know of who doesn’t agree with them in one way or another, and he is not on the conference.

Yes, this is the meeting, and yes it is on the agenda. But not a “vote to allow them to receive”. The topic is on the agenda, discussions and so forth. The meeting is still in progress and no news on that matter yet.

Actually, since this “issue” started, Card Kasper and Card Marx are the only two Cardinals I have seen that have explicitly said they are for it.

Another two, Card Maradiaga and Card Schonbourn, have said they want discussion/dialog on it, which could imply they are for it.

How about his brothers, Groucho, Chico, Harpo, Karl, and Richard?:smiley:

My impression has been that Cardinal Maradiaga actually does not favor a change in the Church’s discipline. He gave that interview to a German newspaper or magazine and his comments sort of augured against the change favored by Cardinal Kasper. But we’ll just have to see. It may change or it may not, and I would like it to remain unchanged. But the fundamental doctrine on marriage will, of course, remain inviolable.

:sad_yes: :banghead:

I am confident that the Church will not change her teaching on this issue. But the fact that this grave error is endorsed by two men in such high positions is certainly cause for concern. Not only does it go against Scripture and Tradition, it makes a mockery of those brave people who have tried - in difficult situations - to follow the Church’s laws.

Sandro Magister’s blog recently had an encouraging observation:

"Noted Vatican observer Sandro Magister wrote March 11 on his blog Settimo Cielo that the Cardinal’s speech generated “a very animated discussion, with numerous cardinals of the first order intervening against the thesis presented by Kasper.”

ncregister.com/daily-news/cardinal-kaspers-speech-on-marriage-to-be-released-as-book/

ncregister.com/daily-news/cardinal-kaspers-speech-on-marriage-to-be-released-as-book/

Sandro Magister recently made an encouraging observation:

"Noted Vatican observer Sandro Magister wrote March 11 on his blog Settimo Cielo that the cardinal’s speech generated “a very animated discussion, with numerous cardinals of the first order intervening against the thesis presented by Kasper.”

Good for them! :thumbsup:

Also, just a little off-track: “Sandro Magister” is an awesome name for an observer of the Magisterium. I must use it in a story someday. :wink:

I heard on the radio today that the Bishop of Regensburg, Dr Rudolf Voderholzer, is opposed to changing anything about remarried divorcees. To quote the reporter, “he sees no room to change anything”. That would be the first German Bishop I know of who opposes the propositions made.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.