Cardinal urges Pope Francis to take hot-button issues off table for next family synod [How to write to the Vatican]

Today, in an article in the Catholic Herald (go here to read:

catholicherald.co.uk/news/2014/11/18/cardinal-urges-pope-to-take-hot-button-issues-off-table-for-next-synod/

Cardinal Burke is quoted urging “the Catholic faithful to write to Pope Francis and Vatican … to make their views known” on such Synod questions as the indissolubility of marriage.

How can we do that? Does anybody know? There are some email addresses floating around the internet, but they are always rejected as being bad addresses. Does anyone know where to write?

May God bless and keep all of you holy, Anne

The article appeared in the Tues., November 18th edition, under the title ‘Cardinal urges Pope Francis to take hot-button issues off table for next family synod’

I found this link just by doing a search. Looks pretty reliable, but others may know more or surely your local Parish would know.

Be respectful and VERY brief!! And pray over it and check the grammar! Good luck! :slight_smile: How exciting. I do feel that these hot-button issues have unfortunately side-tracked us all a little bit.

vatican.usembassy.gov/vatican/writing.html

For what its worth, I wrote to my Bishop and got an encouraging response. It was definitely a positive experience.

I thought the purpose of the surveys last year was to find out what Catholics think about different things under this topic. Why start a letter writing campaign amongst ‘activist’ of one side or another to try to shut down the discussion? What am I missing here? It reminds me of a political action committee. :confused:

Write it in Latin. That’s sure to attract some attention. :slight_smile:

I read the intent to be for Catholics who are concerned to express their views.

I agree.

Luke Ch. 15
The Parable of the Lost Sheep.a

• The tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to listen to him,
    but the Pharisees and scribes began to complain, saying, “This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.”b
    So to them he addressed this parable.
    c “What man among you having a hundred sheep and losing one of them would not leave the ninety-nine in the desert and go after the lost oned until he finds it?e
    And when he does find it, he sets it on his shoulders with great joy
    and, upon his arrival home, he calls together his friends and neighbors and says to them, ‘Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.’
    I tell you, in just the same way there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance.f

Simple answer for this one! The survey results did not meet the needs of the uber conservative agenda so they will find every way they can to derail next years synod. I don’t imagine that our Holy Father is very interested in having a worldwide conference just for show.:thumbsup:

Ok,I 'll try…

Hic et nunc we have our pastors and bishops,why skip them if one needs something ?:confused:
Kind of what Mc Call says she opted for. Had doubts,contacted her bishop.
Very strange a Cardinal is encouraging " direct line" . I would prefer to think the news are wrong

I disagree with everything here. I don’t think the “uber conservatives” are trying to derail the synod. They just disagree with some of the things (The Communion proposal.), which should not even be discussed. It does nothing but give fear to those weak in faith, and it is a slap in the face of all those that died for the defense of marriage.

I always think of what would St. Padre Pio think of the Communion proposal? ( I wouldn’t want to be around him if I was the one instigating the idea, personally.)

Actually you know Latin, don’t you? Would you translate my letter if I give it to you? Maybe for a nominal fee? I would love that. :):D;) The Pope would be very impressed. You better really know it though - I don’t want to send in something with a bunch of mistakes.

:smiley: would you take mine with you? It just says " I love you,dear Pope"
;):):D:D. Haha I will pay my share to Pro Vobis!

Perfect, I’ll put yours on top of mine - soften him up. :thumbsup:

What an example of discretion is given us by the Mother of God! Not even to Saint Joseph does she communicate the mystery. Ask our Lady for the discretion you lack.
-St. Josemaria Escriva, The Way 653

Or non manifeste, sed quasi in occulto if you prefer, as our Lord did going up to the feast in Jerusalem.

-Tim-

That should work. Ten points each. :thumbsup:

It’s the American way, maybe? I would write a letter applauding the Holy Father on his initiative with this synod, but I think I know better. He is a Jesuit, after all.

:curtsey::extrahappy:

Thanks for that reminder. I guess I shouldn’t start with “Sequor Benedictines” huh? :slight_smile:

The issue with bringing these “hot-button” topics up is to imply that they are subject to change. For this entire century and a good portion of the last, the world has been making demands for the Church to get with the times, make things easier, and conform itself more to mainstream thought. The Communion for the divorced and the remarried is the perfect example of this, asking the Church to soften it’s discipline based on the incredible surge of divorces in modern society.

The Church has been playing defense, and laity who have suffered to conform themselves to the Church’s(and Jesus’) tough standards feel like their own leadership does not take them seriously. The Synod should be offensive, attacking common misperceptions of Modernist thought and ask the world what the increase of secularism feel-goodism has brought.

Serious Catholics want an aggressive, confident clergy willing to call evil what it is.
Serious Catholics want a clergy that doesn’t care if they are liked by the world.
Serious Catholics want a true shepherd, which means tough love when necessary.
Serious Catholics want preaching of salvation as a tough narrow road, not a highway.

Serious Catholics want a document tough and authoritative enough to make the Bishops at the Council of Trent proud.

Serious Catholics, all in all, are sick of weak leadership.

Catholic .CATHOLIC brothers and sisters dialogue.
Catholic brothers and sisters make mistakes.
Catholic brothers and sisters have common ground,only sometimes it takes longer to find it.
Catholic is Catholic.

Having said that, and being a Catholic woman married to the same and only husband after 27 years,please,do not include me into the " sick "of the leadership list.
Include me on the list of those who stick to the Catholic family as diverse,easy,complicated,boring,troublesome,joyous,but always lovable Catholic family of mine.Please. And I am being very serious.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.