Career Change and Marriage

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so I hope I am putting it in the right place. :slight_smile:

I’m here looking for some perspective about career vs. family. My boyfriend and I have been talking about getting married (we’ve been together 5 years). I want this and really do feel as though it is right, and that I am called to be his wife.

However, I’ve recently (within the past few years) begun pursuing a new career path (in the medical field), which would take a couple more years to finish schooling for. I’m 28 years old, and I am trying to figure out whether I should give it up or not.

I know I can’t “have it all”, and I am willing to sacrifice going back to school to start a family. The whole biological clock thing is starting to get me worried and I don’t want to end up waiting too long. But I really feel strongly about this career and worry that if I start a family now, I will never go back. There are also financial concerns, since I do have student loans from my other degree. I guess what I am looking for is other people’s experiences- going to school or working while being a mom, if it balances out, how it does, and how hard it is. I just feel like I am being called to two different things, and I don’t know whether they are compatible or not, or how to figure out what God really wants from me.

There is no reason you can't have it all - it just may take a while longer. If you get married the children will come in God's time. You can schedule your semesters around that and even take online classes when you can so that you can stay at home with the children when they are younger. School is much easier to handle as a new parent than work I would think although I have admittedly never been a new parent. God bless you and good luck.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.