Career update/Chinese medicine?

So after my angst-filled thread of a month ago, I’m leaning towards studying to be a nurse-midwife or a “direct-entry midwife” (not so much hospital technology and education, but licensed to be independent). I’m looking at schools which would be able to help me with this, and one of the direct entry schools offers as an elective a course in “Chinese medicine”. It’s put with courses on homeopathy and “astrological medicine”*, so I assume it’s sort of mainstream in American alternative medicine, but I don’t know anything about it. Does anyone who has actually had first or second-hand experience with traditional Chinese medicine know how it works? Is it something like Ayurveda? I’m just curious.

• The place seems to be a little bit on the “witchy woo woo” side. I don’t think I would actually attend there unless it was a really good school and I don’t find any Catholic schools (which I doubt I will).

Georgetown University has a really great CNM program. Although Georgetown’s catholicity is probably debatable, the hospital does respect Catholic teachings (no abortions or sterilizations, and limitations on contraception). That means that in the nursing school you would not be required to participate in these things in the same way that you might “need” to at other non-Catholic schools.

However, if you go the DEM route, those issues might not really come up at all; thus it wouldn’t really matter what type of school you go to.

As for the courses you mentioned, I’d probably steer clear of the astrological medicine (what is that?!) but a course on chinese medicine would be interesting…and probably helpful, especially if you are becoming a DEM. DEM’s often have restrictions on their ability to prescribe medicine, so I’d want to know everything I could about alternative medicines (which I’m guessing wouldn’t be regulated the same way as regular western meds).

Depending on what state you want to practice in you’ll want to do tons of research so you know what’s required in various states for CNM or Direct Entry.

Here are a few sites to get you started:
naturalhealers.com/qa/midwifery.html
mana.org/statechart.html
narm.org/htb.htm

a list of some licensed schools:
naturalhealers.com/meac.shtml

God bless,
Jennifer

Depending on what state you want to practice in you’ll want to do tons of research so you know what’s required in various states for CNM or Direct Entry.

Here are a few sites to get you started:
naturalhealers.com/qa/midwifery.html
mana.org/statechart.html
narm.org/htb.htm

a list of some licensed schools:
naturalhealers.com/meac.shtml

God bless,
Jennifer

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.