Carly Fiorina quits 2016 race

Business executive Carly Fiorina dropped out of the 2016 contest on Wednesday, ending a campaign that failed to enlist enough support despite Republican voters’ clear preference for a Washington outsider this cycle.

“I’ve said throughout this campaign that I will not sit down and be quiet. I’m not going to start now,” the former Hewlett-Packard CEO said in a statement. “While I suspend my candidacy today, I will continue to travel this country and fight for those Americans who refuse to settle for the way things are and a status quo that no longer works for them.”

It’s an end to a campaign that scored a brief moment in the Republican spotlight, courtesy of an insult from Donald Trump that elicited a sharply crafted response from Fiorina.

politico.com/story/2016/02/breaking-news-carly-fiorina-drops-out-of-white-house-race-219095

I doubt it matters much since she didn’t have much support. 2 of these 3… Bush, Kasich, Rubio… need to drop out so it soon becomes a race between Trump, Cruz, and just one more. In that scenario Trump and Cruz could split votes giving the last man standing against them a shot. If by then momentum for Trump or Cruz hasn’t gotten to the point where it is too late. Winning often begets winning in politics. People like to vote for winners. Until it’s 3 left, Trump and Cruz can just keep on racking up wins as they have in the first 2 contests and grow their momentum. And if Trump or Cruz win the southern state of SC, that will be another. 3 for 3 Trump/Cruz. What some may have thought was a good thing to have such a wide open playing field, thus far at least has backfired with votes being so split among the candidates. Backfired thus far at least unless of course someone is a Trump supporter.

It’s unfortunate that she lost momentum, both she and Carson were high in the polls at one point. :frowning:

It shows how things can change.

Nothing new. I remember in 2012 the Republicans had a flavor of the month too.

Chris Christie (who it looks like is suspending) and Carly Fiorina may have been on the lower tier of things but together they received combined over 30,000 votes in New Hampshire. Their supporters in South Carolina and elsewhere that were supporting either of them will now have to move on to somebody else. I wonder which candidate or candidates will benefit from their likely departure.

I hear Bush of the so called “establishment” ones who are left, has money and good organization in SC and in the “SEC” states. As I hear Cruz does. And that’s even more important come March when the schedule is not limited to just 1 state on a particular day. When you get to March, an organizational ground game with surrogates working on the ground is important because a candidate can’t be in all places at the same time. Anyway at the moment subject to change til I see how the next 9 or 10 days go there, my early line for 123 is Trump, Cruz, Bush. Nikki Haley hasn’t endorsed. I know Sen Graham has Bush and Scott has I believe Rubio. But Haley endorsed Mitt in 2012 and Gingrich won. I’m not sure such endorsements play that big a role anyway today. In NH Hillary had the governor and Sen Shaheen and in Iowa the governor warned against Cruz. Will be interesting though.

I hate to see it. I, for one, liked her. Same with Christie if, in fact, he has dropped out.

I liked Carly Fiorina also. She was very impressive and came across as truly honest and a very hard worker all her life. I hope she will still be able to contribute for our sake.

There are six candidates left, if you exclude Jim Gilmore.

Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
Marco Rubio
Jeb Bush
John Kasich
Ben Carson

Is it inconceivable that any of these top 5 (sorry, Dr. Carson) couldn’t be the Republican nominee? It’s still wide open in my book. That’s why I don’t except anyone else (except Dr. Carson) to drop out before Super Tuesday - they are all in the game (except Carson).

I’m not going to gloat over someone having to suspend his or her campaign, but I will say that on the plus side, I’m glad to see the GOP field thinning out to a more “manageable” amount of candidates.

This is not surprising in the least. Candidates who have never held elective office have a hard time winning the most powerful office in the world. And to say her track record at HP was less-than-stellar is the most charitable way I can describe it.

Is there a special place in Hell for the women who didn’t help here?

Sorry, couldn’t resist. :slight_smile:

Not surprised… she was somewhat unbelievable on many issues… I won’t bring up her PP tirade.

She might have had a chance without her bald-faced lies.

I read someone say that she added class to the race. I agree, she is a fast thinker; she knows the politics of this well; at least on foreign policy.

On domestic issues, say health care, I don’t know if I heard her talk but she is a real thinker, I guess, sort of intellectual.

It’s our loss she withdrew.

Well done Carly.

Gilmore dropped out, so we are officially down to six.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.