Carmelite nuns mn

Does anyone know anything about the nuns in MN?

Are they still in habit and true to their rule? Do they have ppl coming in? ARe they true to their rule?

Which group of nuns are you referring to? I'm only aware of men's orders in Austin and Lake Elmo. Do you have a website? :)

I assume you're talking about the ones in Santa Fe. When I was discerning a religious vocation in the spring, I called them several times. The Mother Prioress is wonderful to talk to and will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about them. They are orthodox, wear the habit, and fully obedient to the Pope (that's an important thing for me).

Not sure if you've researched the difference between the 1990 and 1991 constitutions... but the ones in Santa Fe follow the 1991 constitutions. The 1990 constitution follows St. Theresa's original rule. The 1991's may not adhere to every tradition from St. Theresa's original rule. There isn't a "good" or "bad" constitution, but the 1991 constitution allows more flexibility and leniency. This can be good or bad, depending upon the community.

During the spring, I decided that if I were to join a Carmelite community, I wanted to join a very traditional community that followed the original rule of St. Theresa, so I joined one that followed the 1990 constitution. However, I found that it was much too strict for me and left after a week. I think my experience would have been different had I gone to an order that was a bit more lenient. Everybody has different needs and God calls you not just to a certain vocation, but to a specific community. The only way to know where he's calling you is to contact the community. God bless you as you discern His will.

49 Mount Carmel Road
Santa Fe NM 87505-0352
Tel. 505-983-7232

no they don’t have a website…they are near the brothers there…the missionaries of charity in mn told me about them and i found an address but no information other than that :open_mouth:

Bc i live in MN it would be easier for me to visit one up here or near by

Discalced Carmelite Nuns /C
8251 De Montreville Trail North
Lake Elmo - MN 55042-9547
U.S.A.
(651) 7773882

I just now realized that you meant Minnesota and not New Mexico... I got "mn" mixed up. Oops!

What Carmelite community did you join that so strict?

There are quite a few out there that are pretty strict in their observance of the rule. These are the ones I am aware of:

Valparaiso, NE
Elysburg, PA
Buffalo, NY (I actually discerned with this community, but never visited)

I would recommend the Carmelites in Denmark, WI. I corresponded with them for a long time and really wanted to visit, but never actually got the chance to since I had to end discernment because of illness. Their Prioress, Mother Mary Elizabeth, is very nice.

holynamecarmel.org/

[quote="DaughterOfMary6, post:8, topic:215570"]

I would recommend the Carmelites in Denmark, WI. I corresponded with them for a long time and really wanted to visit, but never actually got the chance to since I had to end discernment because of illness. Their Prioress, Mother Mary Elizabeth, is very nice.

holynamecarmel.org/

[/quote]

Do you know if the monastery in WI is still apart of Rome and the Pope, papal enclosure?

[quote="mariagoretti24, post:3, topic:215570"]
I assume you're talking about the ones in Santa Fe. When I was discerning a religious vocation in the spring, I called them several times. The Mother Prioress is wonderful to talk to and will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about them. They are orthodox, wear the habit, and fully obedient to the Pope (that's an important thing for me).

Not sure if you've researched the difference between the 1990 and 1991 constitutions... but the ones in Santa Fe follow the 1991 constitutions. The 1990 constitution follows St. Theresa's original rule. The 1991's may not adhere to every tradition from St. Theresa's original rule. There isn't a "good" or "bad" constitution, but the 1991 constitution allows more flexibility and leniency. This can be good or bad, depending upon the community.

During the spring, I decided that if I were to join a Carmelite community, I wanted to join a very traditional community that followed the original rule of St. Theresa, so I joined one that followed the 1990 constitution. However, I found that it was much too strict for me and left after a week. I think my experience would have been different had I gone to an order that was a bit more lenient. Everybody has different needs and God calls you not just to a certain vocation, but to a specific community. The only way to know where he's calling you is to contact the community. God bless you as you discern His will.

49 Mount Carmel Road
Santa Fe NM 87505-0352
Tel. 505-983-7232

[/quote]

Just a note.

The Rule that Carmelites follow is the Rule of St Albert.

St Theresa wrote no rule. She decided that her reformed community would follow the first mitigation of the Rule which at the time was thought to be the original Rule.

Regardless of which constitutions the Discalced nuns follow they are still faithful to the Rule.

A young lady in my parish just left to enter the cloister in Lake Elmo. She got her hair cut super short (think pixie) the week before she left because she said they have no hair dryers there. In MN. In the winter. If that's not strict, I don't know what is. :)

One of the main reasons she entered that particular cloister was due to their faithfulness to the magisterium, and their austere environment. She said that the hermits live just up the road from them, and the hermits conduct their masses and other sacraments, and give them spiritual direction when needed.

I don't know much about the carmelites but we do have one at our parish here in Fargo. I'm sure she could shed some light on it?

I have seen her too her name is sister Marie and she is apart of the Carmelite monastery in wahpeton north Dakota. I also go to your parish. St Anthony’s :slight_smile:

lol wow! Fancy seeing you here! St. Anthony’s is such a wonder parish to be a part of and I love love love sister Marie. She is one of the most genuine people I have ever known. She is a beautiful representation of the carmelites. Let’s pray the daily rosary before mass sometime, k?

Joshua

[quote="joshvanrad, post:14, topic:215570"]
lol wow! Fancy seeing you here! St. Anthony's is such a wonder parish to be a part of and I love love love sister Marie. She is one of the most genuine people I have ever known. She is a beautiful representation of the carmelites. Let's pray the daily rosary before mass sometime, k?

Joshua

[/quote]

I don't know if you know anything about the Wahpeton Carmelites but they are O. Carm.'s. IMO a very beautiful and joy-filled Carmel.

fargodiocese.org/Vocations/carmelmary/

[quote="joshvanrad, post:14, topic:215570"]
lol wow! Fancy seeing you here! St. Anthony's is such a wonder parish to be a part of and I love love love sister Marie. She is one of the most genuine people I have ever known. She is a beautiful representation of the carmelites. Let's pray the daily rosary before mass sometime, k?

Joshua

[/quote]

Yes I just moved to Fargo in September of this year. It's totally different from pueblo where I used to live. How early do I have to come in to recite the rosary before mass? Oh and sr. Marie is very fun and joyful! I love the Carmelites!!

The Carmelite nuns of Santa Fe, NM have a new website: carmelofsantafe.org/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.