Carmelite Scapular

I am a little confused on the conditions for wearing the scapular. To share in the promise of Our Lady must one have to pray the Little Office or the rosary every day or is that for the Sabbatine privilege only.
Thanks

No, and the official Carmelite catechesis, issued by both Carmelite orders, for the Brown Scapular is this:

http://www.meditationsfromcarmel.com/content/scapular-catechesis

In essence, what is needed is participating in some part of Carmelite spirituality, which includes (excerpted from the Catechesis):

• frequent participation in the Mass and reception of Holy Communion;
  • frequent reading of and meditation on the Word of God in Sacred Scripture;
  • the regular praying of at least part of the Liturgy of the Hours;
  • imitation of and devotion to Mary, the woman of faith who hears the Word of God and puts it into practice;
  • the practice of the virtues, notably charity, chastity (according to one’s state of life), and obedience to the will of God.

This should be primary reason for investing in the brown Scapular: to share in the spiritual goods of the Carmelite family, which includes their devotion to the Blessed Mother, especially under her Carmelite title.

So in short, praying the Little Office (or better yet, the Liturgy of the Hours), and the Rosary does fall well within this practice of Carmelite spirituality, but it’s a wrong notion to consider it a “requirement.” It may have been, at one point, but the current Catechesis is the mind of the Carmelite family, and where the Brown Scapular is concerned, the Carmelites’ word carries the day.

(And by “Carmelite” I do not include the schismatic “Sisters of Carmel” group).

Thank you.
Oh…I did not know the sisters of carmel were a schismatic group. I’ve gotten a rosary from them…

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.