Carter: Globally, Bush administration 'worst in history'

“I think as far as the adverse impact on the nation around the world, this administration has been the worst in history. The overt reversal of America’s basic values as expressed by previous administrations, including [those of] George H.W. Bush and Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon and others, has been the most disturbing to me,” Carter said.

The 39th president said that during Bush’s two terms in office, he has radically departed from every other U.S. president.

“We have a new policy now on war,” Carter said. “We now have endorsed the concept of pre-emptive war where we go to war with another nation militarily, even though our own security is not directly threatened, if we want to change the regime there or if we fear that some time in the future our security might be endangered. But that’s been a radical departure from all previous administration policies.”
The Nobel Peace Prize winner, who brokered the Camp David accords between Egypt and Israel, also faulted Bush’s Middle East diplomacy skills. “For the first time since Israel was founded, we’ve had zero peace talks to try to bring a resolution of differences in the Middle East. That’s a radical departure from the past,” he said.

biblebeltblogger.com/biblebelt/2007/05/carter_bush_adm.html#more

Well, I guess no one can accuse Jimmy Carter of being lukewarm. He calls them as he sees them!

Nah, he is just saying that in the hopes of moving up to second worst.

Mr. Carter need to take a look in the mirror.

While I don’t necessarily agree with all this president is doing globally, I also don’t think it is the job of a former president to make remarks about a sitting president.

Normally they don’t. Carter has been the first.

I agree. I think the comments, along with his description of Israeli/Palestinian relations as “apartheid” make me wonder if he is being deliberately trying to be outrageous or if he simply is becoming more careless/incautious as he ages.

Carter’s close relation with Habitat for Humanity is why I do not support them. His actions as President and afterwards makes me not want to be involved with anything associated with him.

Mr. Carter could have said everything that he said without saying the part about the administration being the “worst in history.” While it’s appropriate for me and the vast majority of the country to say it, I don’t think it’s appropriate for a former president to be saying it.

Reference please? I’ve never seen a poll that would indicate that the “vast majority of the country” believes that the Bush administration is the “worst in history.”

Low support numbers currently is not enough to draw that conclusion; especially, considering the man was re-elected to office.

WARNING

I am having problems with this thread. Neither Bush bashing or Carter bashing will be allowed.

Not sure what else you will talk about given the topic of the OP, but I am willing to keep it open and watch it.

I consider the legacy of a president to be mostly on how they advance the pro life cause. President Bush has done much for that with his nominees to the supreme court.

I really don’t know anything about President Carter’s nominatioins to any of the courts.

dmelosi,

I don’t recall this thread having anything to do with abortion. Maybe I was wrong.
History will determine the rest.

John

Why not? Abortion is a global issue, so I think it’s a fair assessment.

Funniest thing is how I will sometimes hear people say “carter hates Jews” or “carter was the worst president” or stuff like that, but you never hear any quotes or evidence to back him up. He wasn’t my favorite president but he was a heck of a lot better than many other presidents. I mean here is a guy who is now a pastor at his own church in is hometown, he is anti-abortion and has written no less than several dozen books on Christianity, I mean how many other presidents can you name who have had those qualities? As far as accusing the current administration of being the worst, I think it will be judged to be pretty bad and up there, but for now at least as I look back I think we had ones that were just as bad or worst, like Teddy, Wilson, FDR, and LBJ.

You beat me to this witty remark!

11 countries went Communist during his administration.

Then there was the first attack on U.S. soil: the seizure of the U.S. embassy in Tehran, Iran … and Mr. Carter just covered the White House with yellow ribbons and tore his shirt.

Mr. Carter is one of the few duly-elected presidents who was defeated for re-election.

The title of the thread has to do with “worst administration in history”. Abortion has a lot to do with determining how an administration will be judged.

If thats true, then Reagan would be the worst president ever since abortion levels peaked during his presidency and have gone down since

pollingreport.com/wh-hstry.htm

Please try to follow my logic. In the Gallup Poll from December of 2006 on Presidents and History, Jimmy Carter has a combined 22% score from people who believe that history will consider his presidency to have been either “below average” or “poor.” You can’t get worse than “poor.” George Bush has a combined 54% score from people who believe that history will judge his presidency to have been either “below average” or “poor.” And that was 6 months ago.

So when you are outscoring Jimmy Carter more than 2 to 1 on the bad president scale, that makes you the worst.

Both of these presidents are still alive and at least for Bush, the ramifications of his presidency won’t be felt for years after his presidency (Carter’s presidency is long gone). Historically speaking, you can’t judge Bush yet, and I would say since the Middle East had such a profound impact on Carter’s presidency, that until this era passes in the Middle East, you can’t judge Carter’s presidency yet either. It is too soon.

You can always take polls, but the US public is notoriously fickle. If you were to poll the public during Lincoln’s time, I have absolutely no doubt that he would have ranked as the “worse president in US history.”

Among those polled, I wonder how many were living when Jimmy Carter was president. Hard to compare a poll taken 6 months ago when everything in the news is negative about the current president and almost everything in the news is positive about the past president.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.