Carving your own path

Our priest gave a wonderful homily this weekend about allowing the Spirit to guide you through life. He tied it into the gospel where Christ instructed the others on how to conduct themselves. What really has me thinking, though, was the point he made about simply allowing God to map out your path rather than carving your own.

“The fallen self desires to achieve what it wants to achieve, regardless of whether it is right or not. So when the opportunity doesn’t present itself, we make it become available. When the door doesn’t open to us, we kick it down. Then we are unhappy with what has transpired, because we find ourselves in a career or a vocation that doesn’t bring us any happiness, and can’t understand why because it is what we “wanted”. Oscar Wilde once wrote, ‘The only thing worse than getting what you want, is getting what you want’.”

I know that I have done this in my own life, and that I am very unhappy in my current career. The homily had me thinking and asking myself, how have I allowed God to guide me? Where have I ignored His calling, and where have I inserted my own wishes instead? I thought it was a great sentiment, and I am hardly giving it justice, but wanted to share.

This is quite common in today’s world, and I would say it’s why we see so much unhappiness and depression.

How many times do you hear people say “I would be happy if I achieve X or own Y or get Z promotion”, but when we finally get X, Y, or Z we find that they still aren’t happy; they didn’t satisfy.

The only thing that truly satisfies, that will truly make us happy, is Christ. So, the best course in life is always to pursue Christ, and that means following the road that God has laid out for us.

Thank you so much for sharing this. It is relevant to what is happening in my life right now, and it helps to be reminded of this. God bless you and your priest!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.