case study

hello
can anybody answer this case. i am confusing.

Titus and Bertha come in and ask that the name of the godparents for their son, Bart (who was baptised six years ago), should be changed to Lisa and Maggie, who were not even present at the baptism. The reason they give is that the godparents who were actually at the ceremony are no longer on speaking terms with Titus because of a long standing court case. Lisa and Maggie are partners in what I think they are now calling a "long-term committed relationship. As it turns out, the court case revolves around Titus’ paternity of young Bart. After various medical tests, it is determined that the biological father of the child is Father Chad, who happened to be the priest who baptised Bart. Bertha now demands that the baptismal register entry be modified to list Bart’s biological father, and that a new baptismal certificate be issued.

What should be done, and by whom?

Pretty sure biology has nothing to do with it and the baptismal cert remains unchanged as it records who was there on the day. You can’t change your godparents.

I could be wrong but that is my gut instinct.

Salutations
HOLY COW!
I would suggest DNA TESTING FOR LEGAL REASONS.
The Superior of said priest should be contacted.
IT MATTERS NOT ON THE God parent issue.
Your friends can take over guiding the child in the faith.
Birth certificates can be changed. That’s why the DNA. ONCE a paternity is accepted in some states, even if DNA proves you are not the Father you are stuck. The priest will have to pay child sport.
OH WHAT TANGLED WEBS WE WEAVE.
God convict the hearts of those who sinned and let your Son be glorified in this complicated situation.
In Christ’s love
Tweedlealice

Very bizarre situstion. I think it’s hypothetical.

This is way off, and I think the questions being asked is if the original baptism is valid and can Godparents be changed and if so to a homosexual couple.

Pretty cut and dry…op what do u think, knowing what you know about Godparents roles, and the permanancy of the role… and that Baptisms happen 1 time.

I think this is the wrong subforum too

Godparents cannot be changed.

Godparents can’t be changed.

Godparents, if there are two (only one is required) must be one man and one woman.

The parents on the Baptismal certificate are the mother and father that are listed on the birth certificate. The exception to this, at least in my diocese, is when the child has been legally adopted prior to Baptism. Then the adoptive parents are listed on the Baptismal certificate.

The legal side issue has nothing to do with the Baptismal certificate.

Yes.
They are permanent.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.