Cashless Society and the End

A ‘friend of a friend’ of mine believes that a ‘cashless society’ is a sign of the end times. Is there anyone out there who shares this belief who can explain its biblical basis? She belongs to a non-denominational fundamentalist church. Thank you!

Nope.

Kinda like a few other kookie ideas the fringe groups come up with from time to time.

I am not yet Catholic, so I guess that I still count as Protestant. ANyway, I have heard this all my life and just took for granted that it was true. The odd thing is that I don’t know what bible verse justifies this belief. :hmmm: Maybe you could ask your friend. Now I am curious, myself, to know where this idea comes from.

i would have to see the scripture quotes describing first cash, then the disappearance of cash, and the prophecies surrounding that event. as a fundamentalist, of course she has scripture quotes, I can’t wait, panting to hear the results.

I think it could be coming from Revelation, and the “mark of the beast”. The idea of buying and selling only with the “mark” could translate (in some circles) to buying without money. Imagine buying with a UPC on your hand or an RFID in your hand - I think this is one theory, at least.

We’re pretty close to that today, just with a piece of plastic carried around in your wallet called a debit card. What remains to be seen is the leap to Revelation 13.

By the way, I am a cradle Catholic and do not share this belief theory in this passage - but I know some people who do.

I’ve actually heard this for many years, in fact, the concept of a cashless society was around even when I was a child, and the idea that this may indeed be what John saw when he said “16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive [5] a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: 17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.”

I’ve never taken this passage to mean that the mark will be tatooed somewhere on your person, but rather printed on a card or memorized.

I’ve always felt that the Social Security number could be one possible explaination for the Mark of the Beast (though my own mother has always disagreed with me on this). As we see, in this “Post 911 Society” this could very much be the case. After all, what is your Social Security number? Can’t remember? Look at your drivers license. What hand are you holding your license in?

So how does the cashless society play into this? Simple, you have to have a SSN in to get a bank account. In a cashless society, you would be required to have a “Number of your name” in order to buy or sell anything.

So far, this only applies in the United States, but there has been some thought given since the tragic events of September 11th of an international ID card using a numbering system very similar to the SSN and to be used in a very similar way that the current SSN is being used, but critics have put up steep resistance to this calling it… yep, you guessed it, The Mark of the Beast.

There is a fantastic book What Does the Bible Say About the End Times: A Catholic View by William Kurz, S.J.

I had the pleasure of meeting him. He is a fantastic scholar and a devout priest. His book speaks of the bible as giving us confidence that “God’s plan for creation will be re-established conclusively when he sends his only Son a second time.” But while that is true, the book also asserts that there will once again be a great persecution to surpass the persecution spoken of in Revelation, with the Revelation account forming a type or foreshadowing of a future event rather like Antiochus IV as a foreshadowing of Nero.

Since the account in Revelation speaks of a real economic persecution of Christians, it is especially reasonable that such a persecution will form a component of the persecution that will occur in the end times.

We know that persecution will come. We know that there will be an anti-Christ. We know that Christ will come again. The bible and the catechism say as much

675 Before Christ’s second coming the Church must pass through a final trial that will shake the faith of many believers.574 The persecution that accompanies her pilgrimage on earth575 will unveil the “mystery of iniquity” in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth. The supreme religious deception is that of the Antichrist, a pseudo-messianism by which man glorifies himself in place of God and of his Messiah come in the flesh.576

676 The Antichrist’s deception already begins to take shape in the world every time the claim is made to realize within history that messianic hope which can only be realized beyond history through the eschatological judgment. The Church has rejected even modified forms of this falsification of the kingdom to come under the name of millenarianism,577 especially the “intrinsically perverse” political form of a secular messianism.578

677 The Church will enter the glory of the kingdom only through this final Passover, when she will follow her Lord in his death and Resurrection.579 The kingdom will be fulfilled, then, not by a historic triumph of the Church through a progressive ascendancy, but only by God’s victory over the final unleashing of evil, which will cause his Bride to come down from heaven.580 God’s triumph over the revolt of evil will take the form of the Last Judgment after the final cosmic upheaval of this passing world.581

I tend to think that such a mark may be real. At least there is no reason to dismiss it outright as garbage.

[quote=KBarn]There is a fantastic book What Does the Bible Say About the End Times: A Catholic View by William Kurz, S.J.

I had the pleasure of meeting him. He is a fantastic scholar and a devout priest. His book speaks of the bible as giving us confidence that “God’s plan for creation will be re-established conclusively when he sends his only Son a second time.” But while that is true, the book also asserts that there will once again be a great persecution to surpass the persecution spoken of in Revelation, with the Revelation account forming a type or foreshadowing of a future event rather like Antiochus IV as a foreshadowing of Nero.

Since the account in Revelation speaks of a real economic persecution of Christians, it is especially reasonable that such a persecution will form a component of the persecution that will occur in the end times.

We know that persecution will come. We know that there will be an anti-Christ. We know that Christ will come again. The bible and the catechism say as much

I tend to think that such a mark may be real. At least there is no reason to dismiss it outright as garbage.
[/quote]

From these CCC passages, I can’t tell if the Antichrist is ‘one person’ as opposed to a more general ‘spirit of evil’ that permeates the world… Is it clearer than this in the CCC or am I missing something?

I love my debit card. Use it ALL the time (sometimes to much :frowning: )

I would like NEVER to have to carry cash on me :thumbsup:

End Times???..Betcha God knows when that will be, but not me. And I like it that way :thumbsup:

[quote=Jo’s_Dad] ?

So how does the cashless society play into this? Simple, you have to have a SSN in to get a bank account. In a cashless society, you would be required to have a “Number of your name” in order to buy or sell anything.

So far, this only applies in the United States, but there has been some thought given since the tragic events of September 11th of an international ID card using a numbering system very similar to the SSN and to be used in a very similar way that the current SSN is being used, but critics have put up steep resistance to this calling it… yep, you guessed it, The Mark of the Beast.
[/quote]

Isn’t the mark of the beast, a specific number or name referring to the beast itself. Our ssn refers to us as individuals. I think that the Mark of the Beast will be some sort of outward sign of loyalty to the Anti Christ, not just a credit card.

ummm… it’s too easy a connection, I think. The way I see it, the “mark of the beast” is an intangible, spiritual mark, visible to the angels (good and bad) . Those without “the mark” will be given to economic punishment (loss of employment, discrimination),

I would propose that the “cashless society” is a symptom of greed, which will lead to economic collapse as credit-card and mortgage-mania leaves most people underwater if some unforeseen event trashes the credit market.

the thing that i’ve heard goes like this: that in the end times, a micro chip will be put in one’s forefinger and forehead (as a reference to Revelation). this will be used in buying instead of using credit cards. in this micro chip will be stored all the information about the person. i don’t want to rightly dismiss this thing but treat it with prudence.

Pio

[quote=Elzee]From these CCC passages, I can’t tell if the Antichrist is ‘one person’ as opposed to a more general ‘spirit of evil’ that permeates the world… Is it clearer than this in the CCC or am I missing something?
[/quote]

The Antichrist will be ‘one person.’ From the context we can see that a certain “spirit of antichrist” prepares the way for the Antichrist. This, at least, is the teaching of the Church.

Well anyone reading Revelation or the CCC knows that some random chip won’t be given out one day that if we take will condem us to hell.

We’re provided will a great deal of context on what to expect, one of which is persecution and apostasy.

Is it really a stretch to think in the freest nation in the world that being a professing Christian can some day be criminal? Who would have thought even 40 years ago that quoting the bible can be called “hate speech”. First that idea came to canada, then to the US last year in Philadelphia.

I think catholics who read the bible will recognize much of what is described, although I know some churches where the homily will continue to consist of feel good speeches and words on charity rather than the other-worldy nature of the Church and its mission.

Elzee: Yes, the constant Tradition of the Church has been that the Antichrist is an actual person who will someday rise to power. The context of the Catechism passage, as KBarn pointed out, do confirm this. There are many Scripture passages that make this clear as well. 2 Thes. 2:3 makes mention of the “Man of Lawlessness” who is to come, and 1 Jn 2:18 makes a distinction between the many antichrists who have come, and THE Antichrist who is to come.

Note that there are also many OT passages that some interpret to refer to the Antichrist, but as other Catholics may disagree as to the identity of some of these figures in the OT prophecies, I won’t go into that now.

And Jesus said that ONLY THE FATHER KNOWS WHEN THE END-TIME WILL BE…:bowdown2:

I don’t about you, but I’m trusting Jesus on this one…:yup:

I haven’t read all the threads, but have heard this from various fundamentalist Christian sects when I was in highschool.12 yrs ago… they were also the kids who thought the pope was the antichrist. . The only thing I could make of it is that there is a belief that our society will become dependant on “the beast” I guess being dependant on credit, and a society that is in debt forces us to be dependant on debt. I have also heard that the mark of the beast will be sort of like a bar code or micro chip under our skin that will also be used like a credit card to pay for things, forcing us to be dependant on an immoral culture. YOu will notice that many of the people in this mindset pay for everything in cash and do not use credit cards. When I worked at a jewelery store and asked a lady if she would be paying with cash or credit, she looked at me and said, I don’t wear the mark of the beast and went off on all this creepy mantra about teh end times. She acted like I was the devil, it was totally uncalled for! :bigyikes: Just another freeky day in the world of retail!

I disagree. Use logic and the scriptures and you will come up to something like this:

When there’s no cash (or money), love of money (which is evil) can’t exist, and the signs for the end of the times are all full of evil manifestations.

Remember that love of money is the root of all evil. 1 Timothy 6:10

PAX

[quote=Elzee]A ‘friend of a friend’ of mine believes that a ‘cashless society’ is a sign of the end times. Is there anyone out there who shares this belief who can explain its biblical basis? She belongs to a non-denominational fundamentalist church. Thank you!
[/quote]

I don’t know anything about a cashless society ushering in the end times, but I do know one thing: having a cashless society would be a huge mistake. For those of you who rely totally on debit or credit cards, you may want to rethink that. I worked in the banking industry for several years, and one day our computer servers went down. Everyone who owned debit cards through our bank were not able to use them anywhere. This went on for 48 hours. People came to the bank to withdraw money, but since we could not access their accounts, we had a $200 limit on withdrawals. Moral of the story: don’t depend so much on technology. If there would ever be some sort of massive power failure in this country, credit and debit cards would be virtually useless. The only people who would be able to buy things would be people who only carry cash. Also, I would be suspicious of a cashless system because I would wonder about the government’s motives behind such a thing–is it because they want to keep track of every purchase we make?? I know it sounds a bit paranoid, but people can say goodbye to their freedom and privacy once a cashless system comes into play.

I used to believe this whenI was being brought up in the pentecostal church that was of course trinitarian but i really do not give it any thought now because now I am in the one true church that Christ founded

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.