Cassock V alb

In my home parish we wear am now we wear the cassock and surplice . But when I was away from home at college I was asked in another parish to help to serve at mass and I noticed that they wear albs .my question is if you have worn both serving the mass what vestment do prefer to wear serving the mass?

I prefer the alb, having worn both. It has the same difficulties as a cassock in terms of moving freely and so on, but without the surplice to get in the way of my hands.

All the best

Martin

P.S. I know my reasoning is simple and based on the practicalities of both, but from a server's point of view, that is most important.

[quote="Martin15, post:2, topic:322594"]
I prefer the alb, having worn both. It has the same difficulties as a cassock in terms of moving freely and so on, but without the surplice to get in the way of my hands.

I like the cassock and surplice more as it is traditional and I think it l, looks nicer than the alb.
but with the surplice if you got your hand in the sleaves its fine and Its a matter of getting use to it

[/quote]

Back when I served, definitely the cassock and surplice. Once the pastor demanded that we wear the alb and cincture (I had my own cassock and surplice, so I never wore the parish's when they had them) I just quit serving. Once you get the alb, along come the girls...

you should add to the poll what ever the pastor tells me to wear.

I would definitely say the Cassock and Surplice, but I would also do whatever the Pastor tells me to wear.

The Cassock and Surplice is Choir Dress - for people assisting at the altar. It is also traditional and a big Vocations Promoter. The Alb may be the cloth of all the Christian Baptised, but the Alb and Cincture (in terms of the Liturgy) should only be worn by those that are serving a Liturgical Function and are ordained/instituted TO that liturgical function.

When the GIRM talks about Lectors and Acolytes, he is not referring to laypeople as such, but to those who are instituted as Lectors and Acolytes and are usually preparing for ordained ministry.

In the Old From of the Mass, the Alb was only worn by the Celebrant, Deacon and Subdeacon. For other Ministers, the only option was the Cassock and Surplice.

Also, Cincture should not be worn by those that have not taken a vow of celibacy. The Cincture is the symbol of Chastity. This is actually the origin of the misused term; "Chastity Belt". All Deacons, Priests, Lectors, Acolytes etc. are expected to remain celibate, or be expelled from practicing their liturgical ministry. One should bear this in mind the next time they fasten that cincture.

However, if the Pastor feels strongly about such and such (whether they are right are wrong) surely, criticise and tell them why you believe such and such is wrong, but unless he is asking you to sin or perform Liturgical Abuse, one should submit.

God be with you,
Deus, Salus Nostra :gopray2:

If are parish priest did want us to wear albs I would but are last parish priest got them and he was only in are parish for a year

It’s worth mentioning that albs can be gotten hold of far more cheaply than cassock/surplices. Or at least that was the case when we had to order some for school masses.

All the best

Martin

[quote="Martin15, post:8, topic:322594"]
It's worth mentioning that albs can be gotten hold of far more cheaply than cassock/surplices. Or at least that was the case when we had to order some for school masses.

All the best

Martin

[/quote]

my paish had the same problem we had old albs what were very old and grotty and we throw them all out and resorted to the cassock and surplice even tho they are expensive it has been worth it its been 10 years since we got them and we had no repairs done to them as they are all in very good condition

[quote="Martin15, post:8, topic:322594"]
It's worth mentioning that albs can be gotten hold of far more cheaply than cassock/surplices. Or at least that was the case when we had to order some for school masses.

All the best

Martin

[/quote]

my parish had the same problem we had old albs what were very old and grotty and we throw them all out and resorted to the cassock and surplice even tho they are expensive it has been worth it its been 10 years since we got them and we had no repairs done to them as they are all in very good condition

I usually prefer C&S, but the alb, if the alb is a good one and it fits, can look very, very good. Good looking albs on acolytes give them a very strong monastic flavor.

If a parish is poor or strapped for cash, I would recommend going with C&S. It makes sense for looks-to-cost ratio. What I mean is, good looking albs can be prohibitively expensive, $200+ for a decent linen one. A cheap alb, on the other hand, always looks horrible. Now, an expensive C&S combo looks good. But a cheap C&S combo can also look quite good.

A cheap C&S combo almost always looks better than a cheap alb. So if cost is a major concern, I always recommend C&S.

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:11, topic:322594"]
I usually prefer C&S, but the alb, if the alb is a good one and it fits, can look very, very good. Good looking albs on acolytes give them a very strong monastic flavor.

If a parish is poor or strapped for cash, I would recommend going with C&S. It makes sense for looks-to-cost ratio. What I mean is, good looking albs can be prohibitively expensive, $200+ for a decent linen one. A cheap alb, on the other hand, always looks horrible. Now, an expensive C&S combo looks good. But a cheap C&S combo can also look quite good.

A cheap C&S combo almost always looks better than a cheap alb. So if cost is a major concern, I always recommend C&S.

[/quote]

Examples? All of the albs I've seen always look like a long toga with sleeves and a rope around the waist.

[quote="smndtupidisaftr, post:12, topic:322594"]
Examples? All of the albs I've seen always look like a long toga with sleeves and a rope around the waist.

[/quote]

wattsandco.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/P/o/Portsmouth_Cassock_alb_1.jpg

Those things look particularly bad, imho, as albs. They look somewhat like modified Dominican habits. Nothing wrong with the habit, but it isn't an alb. They're rather common around here, and it's common--for some reason--not to tie them with a cincture. They end up looking like these ill-fitting dress things that look bad when they're tied at the waist because they are made of this weird thick fabric that is designed purposely to be worn on its own.

On the other hand, what I recommend if albs are to be worn is something like what these guys are wearing: www.the-latinmass.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/carmelite-rite-009.jpg and 4.bp.blogspot.com/-u-X11Ma4ThY/T7mwrI1c7wI/AAAAAAAAO3I/tJbGjfBmTgM/s1600/carmelite-rite-019.jpg

They fit more closely to the body, the sleeves are narrower, the "collar" is much shorter if there is one at all, it is tied with a cincture, and the fabric is thinner and folds more gracefully.

as far as parishes go and the parishes I may end up being a pastor at I would probably at-least for the first few years stick with what the previous pastor did, if I was at a parish with albs I would use albs if I was at a parish with C&S I would use C&S, I would wait a few years at a parish before I ever changed something like that. Plus I think there may be more important things to reform at a parish then what your alter servers wear as long as its not ugly or something.

I never know the names but I prefer the cassock and surplice now though a few call them 'cotta's' so I get mixed up with what they are called. To the Alb etc because at my very first attempt of serving when I was 20 I could never tie the knott in the cord and of course it being known am a Scout when I asked I was shown but still couldn't do it and well just pretended to make it look like it. No knotts to tie in cassocks and 'cotta's. Much easier to put on:thumbsup: :blush: Other than the knott, I don't mind though having remembered that fussy little tie on thing under the alb... so my choice is cassock and cotta as much better in ease of putting them on. For looks, it makes no difference

[quote="The_Curt_Jester, post:4, topic:322594"]
Once you get the alb, along come the girls...

[/quote]

So... true.

Another point to make is that the Cassock and Surplice are big Promoters of Priestly Vocations, so are Altar Boys. This is because the Cassock is the clothing of the Priest; every altar boy wants to be like the Priest when serving, he wants to be Holy!

I know this is needed for another thread, but it is as simple as this; if you had a team of 20 altar boys and allowed girls into this team, it would be likely that by the next year there would be 3 boys left in that team, and the rest would be dominated by girls. As an Altar boy, I see this happening far too often. I know most guys would prefer not to serve with girls, although most girls I know would rather not serve, but do it because of pressure from parents.

However, returning to the main point, I would also like to say that a female wearing a Cassock is about as appropriate as a male wearing a Nun's habit. Therefore, it would not be advisable to allow a woman to wear C&S.

The Alb, however, is the symbol of all the Baptised Christian Faithful. The Cincture is the symbol of Chastity and should not be worn except by those who have received Major or Minor Orders (you know what I mean).

But as I said before, that liturgically Speaking, only those serving a Specific and Instituted Role should wear an Alb, Cincture and Amice. The Cassock and Surplice is the norm for any other men on the altar.

God Bless!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.