Castlevania game question

Hi! i apologize for my incorrect english, im italian...i hope this is the right section for my question...

do you know the game called castlevania..? i play it from years, firt time was in the NES, many years ago...i was wondering if it is disrespectful for the religion...there are positive chatolich themes in the game, but it has some aspects that may be disrespectful as well, like the use of sacred objects as weapons against monsters...i also watched the intro of chi no rondo for PC Engine (a castlevania game made in japain only) right now and i didnt like it very much because, even though it it in japaneese only (so i cant understand anything the narrator says), it shows a sort of human sacrifice inside a church, made by some knights that stand around a lady...and in the end of that room you can see an altar with a cross on it with a consecrated Host in it...

there are many castlevania games and and id like to play the new ones (for xbox 360)...
maybe playing theese games is only a venial sin, but if so, i dont want to play it anymore...I dont want to be disrespectful in any way to our Jesus...what do u think about the game..? thanks! (i hope my eng is readable!)

[quote="guido777, post:1, topic:253043"]
Hi! i apologize for my incorrect english, im italian...i hope this is the right section for my question...

do you know the game called castlevania..? i play it from years, firt time was in the NES, many years ago...i was wondering if it is disrespectful for the religion...there are positive chatolich themes in the game, but it has some aspects that may be disrespectful as well, like the use of sacred objects as weapons against monsters...i also watched the intro of chi no rondo for PC Engine (a castlevania game made in japain only) right now and i didnt like it very much because, even though it it in japaneese only (so i cant understand anything the narrator says), it shows a sort of human sacrifice inside a church, made by some knights that stand around a lady...and in the end of that room you can see an altar with a cross on it with a consecrated Host in it...

there are many castlevania games and and id like to play the new ones (for xbox 360)...
maybe playing theese games is only a venial sin, but if so, i dont want to play it anymore...I dont want to be disrespectful in any way to our Jesus...what do u think about the game..? thanks! (i hope my eng is readable!)

[/quote]

Simon Belmont toasts evil monsters and demons with holy water, how is that bad? Seems pretty respectful of Catholicism to me.:shrug:

I highly doubt its a sin. As long as you realize deep inside your heart, which you already seem to do, that it is JUST a video game, a minor source of entertainment and nothing more I don't see how it can be bad? I love the assassins creed games. The end of the second one you're fighting against the Pope for cryin out loud because the office was taken by corruption and the entire series they've painted the Templar Knights/Catholic Church as the bad guys. Do I enjoy the game for it's anti-God pro-science/alien message? Not at all. Do I enjoy the game for it's gameplay mechanics of scaling buildings and assassinations? Absolutely. Paying attention to the latter, does the fact I enjoy playing violent video games where you're killing people make it a sin? I don't believe so only because of the fact that I absolutely detest violence. It's the sole reason I quit the army prior to deployment because I wasn't about to let america force me to kill innocent people for their greed. It just all depends on the person. If you fantasize about the things you're experiencing in these games than I'd stay clear of them. If you play them solely for the sake of entertainment and don't buy into it then by all means, have fun.

thanks for the replies. I'd play it just to have fun, and i appreciate the fact that the good always wins against the evil in the game...i remember lament of innocence where the bad guy hate God and the protagonist of the game defeat him (and it is well know that the heroes of castlevania are good men, id say catholic men, in fact they often pray in front of the cross...so the message in the game is potitive (unlike some other games) but it contains some aspects i dont approve...

Nothing wrong with these games. In Castlevania III (NES), you can put in the password "Help Me" and you'll start with 10 lives. It's kind of neat because Belmont starts by praying in front of a Cross and then lighting goes off.

Actually, most of these games are pretty direct about good vs evil, which is refreshing in our current society.

Yes… in the 2nd one you could get healed in the church… I think that Christianity/faith vs evil is a positive thing.

In the Chapel area in Symphony of the Night, Alucard can enter a room with a confessional. If he sits on one side, sometimes a priest will bless him: "Come, son, rest here. In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit," and then he drops grape juice. :D Alucard can sit on the other side too, but I can't recall if he gets any reward from the crying female ghost. There are also two evil ghosts (one for each side of the confessional) who will stab him with a spear and assorted weapons respectively if he doesn't leave his seat fast enough.

the two evil ghosts may mean u cannot take advantage too much of good men :)

thanks for the replies guys!

I love castlevania!.... you fight evil with crosses and holy water and other weapons, and the music is awesome! ... you can probably call it catholic fiction?... but is just a great series of games except the ones for the N64, those where not good a all, they where boring. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.