Catechism for 3rd grader

I'm debating whether to switch from the parish faith-formation classes this year to a do-it-yourself using CatechismClass.com or MyCatholicFaithDelivered.com. My son wants to do it at the parish, but its difficult for me to tell what he's learning. I do some teaching now, mostly just a few informal minutes around bedtime though, and thought it might be good to do something a little more formal and organized also. Another option is to it in addition to the parish program, but his school gives a lot of homework, so I don't want to burn him out either.

Advice, recommendations, other do-it-yourself programs you'd recommend?

So many people have used and benefited from Ignatius Press Faith and Life series. We've used it in both homeschool catechism and parish program for years.

But is there a chance you might consider helping out with the parish program in your son's classroom? That way he'll stay where he's happy AND you'll see what he's learning, all the while doing a work of mercy at the parish.

I just got back from the St John Bosco conference. During the conference we were given a demonstration of a new catechesis being developed at Notre Dame de Vie in France. It can be found online at comefollowme.org, I believe.

Is it possible for you to allow him to participate at the parish so he learns about parish life while still doing home catechetics?

[quote="LSK, post:3, topic:250571"]
I just got back from the St John Bosco conference. During the conference we were given a demonstration of a new catechesis being developed at Notre Dame de Vie in France. It can be found online at comefollowme.org, I believe.

Is it possible for you to allow him to participate at the parish so he learns about parish life while still doing home catechetics?

[/quote]

Yes, we will probably do that. But can you expound on what you mean by learning about "parish life"? I assume you mean feeling more connected, more a part of the community?

[quote="milimac, post:1, topic:250571"]
I'm debating whether to switch from the parish faith-formation classes this year to a do-it
Advice, recommendations, other do-it-yourself programs you'd recommend?

[/quote]

just to point out that having him do a DIY on the computer or with a book is still adding to the homework he already has so may not be a perfect solution.

The best and easiest may be to ask for a used copy of the book they use in the parish and go over the lessons with him to not only learn what they are teaching, but what he has actually picked up. If you spend time and money on faith formation resources do so first on what will grown and bolster your own faith so you feel confident working with him.

if he wants to attend CCD and likes it that is very positive and should be encouraged if you can. You can still supplement at home, and in fact, that is always where most of his faith formation should be happening. Something about getting up and out to a certain place at a certain time for this makes it more special, and more likely he will keep up with it.

[quote="LSK, post:3, topic:250571"]

[/quote]

I don't think that website is related to the catechesis program.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.