Catechism over the Bible? (Revisited)

Yes, there are numerous contradictions in the Bible.

And if you are a simplistic secularist who has fallen from the faith bequeathed to you by a reformist, evangelical denomination, which conditioned you to believe in Holy Writ having a standard of purity and non-contradiction which not even our secular laws contain, then you are ripe for the picking by atheist rubes like Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens.

The Bible was written not by God, from whom we could expect a certain standard of purity and holiness, but is a collection of writings encompassing several hundred, perhaps even a thousand years, so apparent contradictions between culture, language and time are simply to be expected.

This is the deplorable state Christianity has sunk to due to the legalistic wrangling of heretics, aka “reformers,” who accorded the Christian Holy Scriptures a legalistic standard they were never intended to have in the minds of the faithful. And when you substitute the written page as the word of God instead of the Incarnate Person who was the Word made Flesh, you become the embodiment of a time warp, a loss of faith characteristic of 16th century Europe, near a certain chapel in Wittenburg.

I am an ex-Baptist. Emphasis on the “ex.”

Hello, I don’t think there is a Saint Louis Catechism and I doubt the Baltimore Catechism says anything like that. Also the Bible is Infallible.

God Bless

All of the catechisms that were extant before the one we have now, were adaptations of the Catechism of the Council of Trent.

You can be SURE that there is no contradictions between the Bible and any catechism of the Catholic Church. Since your father makes the claim, the burden of proof is on him. Just ask him to show you these contradictions. :wink:

The Bible is inerrant. Only a person can be infallible (according to Catholic doctrine.) Many Protestants use the expression that the Bible is infallible however, meaning “trustworthy” :slight_smile:

This thread is 13 years old!

I[Me personally] highly doubt the veracity of your dads position.

HOWEVER, the bible is it would seem, given the number of non-Catholic churches; each identified by its OWN translation; whereas the Catechism is NOT open to ANY personal translations.

Still I doubt that many [if any] differences exist in a RIGHT[meaning a Catholic] understanding of the bible verses the teachings of our Catechism:thumbsup:

GBY

Thank you Ambrose SJ

God Bless

Thank you!

Here’s how I explain it:

THE BIBLE IS ALWAYS TRUE, BUT NOT ALWAYS FACTUAL:thumbsup:

GBY welcome home

Patrick

The Bible is Infallible in what it TEACHES, but NOT always in its facts:)

GREAT reply and I love the Catechism of TRENT:thumbsup:

:smiley: Good eye!
Nevertheless, it is eminently clear from the fruits of Protestantism that everyone knows what scripture says, but no one agrees on what it means. Thus, the Church Magisterium must be the ultimate arbiter of revealed truth. Otherwise, Jesus’ prayer for unity would seem to be irrational. Bible Christians somehow fail to note this.

Scripture and catechisms have different purposes. Scripture was never intended to be a catechism, but rather stands on its own as a compilation of various writings down through the centuries, all inspired by God in one way or another. Parts of it are easy to understand while other parts are difficult, sometimes vague or even seemingly contradictory. Either way it was never meant to be some sort of theological treatise whose purpose is to clarify and categorize the faith, even as it serves as a primary source for doing so. A catechism, OTOH, has that very purpose. Post #7 provides the right way to look at the matter.

We shouldnt say there are contradictions in the Bible, the Bible may use symbolic and metaphorical language. but there are no true contradictions since the Bible is innerant.

Thanks

God Bless

This is a very helpful resource to read along with the CCC

[on the Vatican’s website]Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church

No it’s Catechism and the Bible.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.