Catechism

I am interested in purchasing a Catechism but am confused as I see there are various options out there. Which catechism do you use for yourself and for educating your children? Please include why. Also, what are the essential differences between the options available?

(I now attend an EF mass if that means anything in which catechism would be best for me)

Thank you,
Tom

For children I think that a reasonable one is the Baltimore Catechism, they have a different version for each group age (e.g. vol 0 to vol 4). For adolescents I would add the latest YouCat that came out last year. For adolescent and adults I would also consider as a must the Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. For people that have a reasonable grasp of the teachings of the Church I would also suggest to buy the Catechism of the Catholic Church. The form of the Mass that you attend has nothing to do with the Catechism that you buy, the teachings of the Church are the same. The only time that you would find substantial differences in the explanations of the same teachings is when you look at the catechism books of the Eastern Catholic Churches.

This.

Also, let me add the Roman Catechism to the list for adults who already have a decent grasp of the Catholic Faith and the history of Catholicism.

Man, not sure what that says about me since I’m 34 and still sometimes reference a Baltimore Catechism :smiley:

I second the Baltimore Catechism. There are four version for various age levels, so you can get the one that’s right for your children, or get the whole set.

I also hear that the Youcat is good, but I think it’s for High School age.

I prefer the large green Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) for adults. It is a large thick book and can seem a daunting task to read it but you will find that the index is very helpful when you need information on a certain topic. The index in the large green CCC is more detailed than the topic index in the small white CCC.

Also, I suggest that a person take some time and study the Contents pages of the CCC. This will help you understand how the CCC is set up and make it easier to find specific information.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church is a fantastic book! Take the time to study the Contents at the front of the book and check out the index at the back and you won’t be overwelmed.

Man, not sure what that says about me since I am 34 and still sometimes reference a Baltimore Catechism :smiley:

Thank you, you’ve been very helpful.

The ones for high school students and teachers are perennially valuable. I have beautiful illustrated one from Sarto House that always teaches me something new.

Might also want to look into Douay Catechism of 1649, aloha.net/~mikesch/DouayCat.htm and the Catechism of Council of Trent, catholicapologetics.info/thechurch/catechism/trentc.htm

After a few days of being down finally Catechetics Online is up and running again. That site and the Nazareth Resource Library are very useful sources of information.

Good thread for family forum.

CLOSED

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.