Cathars?

“Derived from the Greek word for purity. Catharism was the dominant religion in Southern France between 1150 and 1300. Also known as Patarenes. Cathars believed in reincarnation, they were strict vegetarians were celibate. They called the Church of Rome a ‘den of thieves’. The Church condemned the Cathars in 1139. They offered land and property and eternal salvation to anyone who would take up the Crusade against the Cathars”

I was very concernced when i heard about this…i especially dont like the bit where they call the catholic church a “Den of Thieves”.

It makes me feel as though they had reason to say something so vicious about the church…anyone got anything to say on this subject.

Also the bit where the catholic church offered ETERNAL SALVATION to anyone who FOUGHT against them…“whoever lives by the sword dies by the sword”

I need some reassurance?:frowning:

“Derived from the Greek word for purity. Catharism was the dominant religion in Southern France between 1150 and 1300. Also known as Patarenes. Cathars believed in reincarnation, they were strict vegetarians were celibate. They called the Church of Rome a ‘den of thieves’. The Church condemned the Cathars in 1139. They offered land and property and eternal salvation to anyone who would take up the Crusade against the Cathars”

I was very concernced when i heard about this…i especially dont like the bit where they call the catholic church a “Den of Thieves”.

It makes me feel as though they had reason to say something so vicious about the church…anyone got anything to say on this subject.

Also the bit where the catholic church offered ETERNAL SALVATION to anyone who FOUGHT against them…"whoever lives by the sword dies by the sword"
Always seems to me that the church to offer salvation to fight…seems as if they will cut out the cathars at any cost as they may spread the the truth about the catholics coruption…just a thought!

[quote=godsent]“Derived from the Greek word for purity. Catharism was the dominant religion in Southern France between 1150 and 1300. Also known as Patarenes. Cathars believed in reincarnation, they were strict vegetarians were celibate. They called the Church of Rome a ‘den of thieves’. The Church condemned the Cathars in 1139. They offered land and property and eternal salvation to anyone who would take up the Crusade against the Cathars”

Also the bit where the catholic church offered ETERNAL SALVATION to anyone who FOUGHT against them…“whoever lives by the sword dies by the sword”

[/quote]

Do a google —Im sure youll find both sides of the question.

:slight_smile: Hello, Godsent!

While I suspect you have long since had your answer, I believe you might not have heard of this superb source:

Montaillou: The Promised Land of Error, by the French historian and sociologist, Emmanuel Leroy Ladurie (sp?), a fascinating, practically first hand account of a Cathar (or Albigensian) network of misery and terror in Southern France, around 1300 AD,. and the role of one Bishop Jacque Fournier, in helping put out one of the last outbreaks of this sect.

This same “Bishop Jacque Fournier” is often cited in the Catechism of the Catholic Church as Pope Benedict ??!.

And it was in his later role as Pope Benedict, that this former bishop defined such things as “The Particular Judgement.”

Now, Godsent, I have to tell you: it’s like reading “A Fatal Vision,” about the famous so-called “Green Beret Murder Case,” it’s a tough, raw, totally authentic book, translated directly from the original Occitanian French and Latin original sources.

It’s about real life people, “warts and all,” yet, too, it’s about beautiful testimonies of faith by “simple” men and women who remained loyal to the Catholic Church (helped by their bishop being a future pope, I’ll bet you!) no matter what.

The author makes the disquieting observation too, that there were instances of where “orthodox” (really strict Catholic believers) made common cause with Cathars against “Roman authority of any kind.”

I’ve used this book myself since 1979 or 1980 as a sort of “field guide” to help me understand how these same Cathars are very much with us today, as are their “strict orthodox brethern.”

And, saddest of all, the inclination of both “orthodox” American and European Catholics and what we might call the “Neo-Cathars” to bash Pope Benedict XVI, Rome, you name it, seems to have become really troubling, especially since 1990.

If by chance you know French, please! Try this same book in modern French: it’s called something like:

Montaillous une village Occitan

Me, I’m ashamed to say, I’m still plugging along with it as best as I can, after so many years!:o :o

Hope this helps.

[Yeah, we’re a year late, but that’s REALLY medieval!:smiley: ]

See ya…

Aurelio:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.