Cathedrals

I love the beauty of Catholic Cathedrals…

The Cathedral in Sacramento is gorgeous… ( I use to live there and I miss it)

cathedralsacramento.org/pdfs/Visiting%20the%20Cathedral_Web.pdf

Anyone else have one to share?
I would love to see pictures of the ones you think are gorgeous.

I have been to Milano, and the Cathedral there is nothing short of amazing.

The Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, although not technically a Cathedral, is also a must see.

And our local Cathedral - well, it’s ours :slight_smile: So we love it :slight_smile: ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catedrala_Sf%C3%A2ntul_Gheorghe_din_Timi%C5%9Foara

The one I really really have to see one day is the Cathedral of Cologne.

I love my Cathedral, and the interior was very beautiful before they ripped out the High Altar.

The Outside:
[ATTACH]7180[/ATTACH]

High Altar; 1970:
[ATTACH]7181[/ATTACH]

New Altar:
[ATTACH]7182[/ATTACH]

Shrine to Mary:
[ATTACH]7183[/ATTACH]

My church, St. Joan of Arc Catholic Church of Indianapolis, isn't a cathedral...but it could be. In fact, it's more ornate than our archdiocese's actual cathedral, in my opinion.

The link above shows the church's website and a close-up view. Here's an aerial and interior view of it's beautiful high altar, ready for Christmas vigil Mass:

Wow… those are all grogeous!

Spencerian, I am in Carmel… I did not know St Joan of Arc was so gorgeous!

I was searcing cathedrals and came upon the St Louis, MO cathedral… wow… gorgeous.

cathedralstl.org/intro/

The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Savannah, GA is very beautiful:

savannahcathedral.org/index.php/virtual_tour

By the way, this is my local parish Church:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Biserica_Romano-Catolica_Elisabetin_Timisoara_1.jpg

And here’s another Church from my city:

dxn.ro/millenium_church_QT.html - 360 degree view

main site:

biserica-millennium.ro/

I love this cathedral in Ottawa, Canada :) I've been there, and it's beautiful.
notredameottawa.com/

Here's a picture of the cathedral in our city:
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/Cathedral_Nave_and_Chancel.jpg

Here's a couple of one of my favorites, the Cathedral of Naples (Italy):
farm1.static.flickr.com/110/251146581_09682642c9.jpg?v=0

Here’s one from Ireland - Galway Cathedral, or to be precise, The Cathedral of Our Lady Assumed into Heaven and Saint Nicholas… So, normally the shorter form, “Galway Cathedral” is used. It’s the mother-church of the diocese of Galway, Kilmacduagh & Kilfenora in the west of Ireland. It is the last of the great European stone cathedrals, dedicated on the feast of the Assumption of Our Lady in 1965, by Cardinal Cushing of Boston.

crookhaven.net/images/galway/cathedral.jpg

It has the traditional cruciform structure, but there is a mixture of styles: built with local limestone (so it looks quite rugged!), a Renaissance-style dome, and the great arch which you can see springing from the ground to the roof at the front of the cathedral is an unusual feature in Irish churches - it recalls the city’s ancient links with Spain, as it was inspired by a church in Salamanca, Spain.

The Interior:
static.panoramio.com/photos/original/291648.jpg
This picture makes the cathedral seem somewhat smaller than it is, I think!
One’s eyes are immediately drawn to the massive mosaic of the Crucifixion behind the high altar, designed by Irish artist, Patrick Pollen. As many materials as possible came from the local area, and all of the artwork was designed by Irish artists. The floor, for example, is of Connemara marble. At the base of the dome there is more mosaic-work, including the purpose of building the cathedral: “Gloria in excelsis Deo. Et in terra pax hominibus bonae voluntatis” - to give glory to God and peace to men. Originally the high altar had the tabernacle on it, along with tall candles - the tabernacle is now in the Blessed Sacrament chapel. However, we still have altar rails, which is a bonus!

The cathedral has three rose windows - and unusually, they actually do resemble roses!
web.simmons.edu/~fox/Ireland/galwayetal/galwaycathedral.jpg - this one depicts the five sorrowful mysteries of the Rosary (East Transept).
oasis.halfmoon.jp/extphoto2/ie2_photo/p9120231.jpg - this one depicts the glorious mysteries of the Rosary (West Transept).
ivan.tubert.org/gallery/albums/irlanda/IMG_0873.sized.jpg - the main window, beautifully encased by the organ pipes, shows the Immaculate Conception in the lowermost panel, and the joyful mysteries of the Rosary in the other five.

I couldn’t not mention the organ:
supertravelnet.com/iframe/?action=image&idcode=20016285&height=300 - it is the finest in the country, a delight to play. You only see some of the pipes in this picture - others are housed in the two bell towers on either side (you can see part of the two arches where these organ chambers are).

There’s so much more that I can’t describe here - it is a most beautiful building with real warmth and character, which one perhaps wouldn’t expect from a great building with bare limestone walls. So, if you want to see more, you’ll just have to take a trip over here!
media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/0b/e5/d4/outside.jpg
photos4webs.com/images/cathedral14m.jpg
eurotravelling.net/ireland/galway/images/cathedral_at_night.jpg
thecross-photo.com/images/Galway-Cathedral-Crucifixio.jpg
telefonica.net/web2/juanmedinadotcom/ire2005/thumb/089_Galway_St_Nicholas_Cathedral_4.jpg

[quote="Nowhere_Man, post:3, topic:181217"]
I love my Cathedral, and the interior was very beautiful before they ripped out the High Altar.

High Altar; 1970:
[ATTACH]7181[/ATTACH]

New Altar:
[ATTACH]7182[/ATTACH]

The curse of Modernity strikes again.
I'm shaking my head. I mean why tear down something edifying into something ugly.
Sometimes it's a waste of energy to fathom what goes into the minds of some clergy members and liturgist changing the so called new vision of architecture in the Catholic Church which no longer resembles a holy spiritual place to pray but simply a gathering place where people meet.

This brings to mind a good orthodox priest friend of mine who has since passed away.
He defined a new age modern Liturgist this way:

Liturgist are scourges that God sends to the Church
during times of non-persecution, to give the faithful
an opportunity to suffer for their faith.

[/quote]

[quote="centurionguard, post:11, topic:181217"]

The curse of Modernity strikes again.
I'm shaking my head. I mean why tear down something edifying into something ugly.
Sometimes it's a waste of energy to fathom what goes into the minds of some clergy members and liturgist changing the so called new vision of architecture in the Catholic Church which no longer resembles a holy spiritual place to pray but simply a gathering place where people meet.

This brings to mind a good orthodox priest friend of mine who has since passed away.
He defined a new age modern Liturgist this way:

Liturgist are scourges that God sends to the Church
during times of non-persecution, to give the faithful
an opportunity to suffer for their faith.

[/quote]

I couldn't agree with you more. But my diocese doesn't seem to be very warm towards traditional Catholics. There is one Latin Mass in Seattle run by the FSSP.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.