Catholic and Anglicans Sisters in same community

I met a woman, who wears a habit. She is married and is Catholic. She belongs to some religious order that has both Catholic and Anglican sisters.

Has anyone ever heard of such an order? It doesn't appear that she does much, except attends a group of Anglicans who are entering the Ordinariate and travels to Catholic events around the country.

It seems odd to me to know she is married and wears a habit at all times that I have seen her. Also how would the community celebrate Mass as one when non Catholics may not receive Communion.

What is the point of this community as far as I know they are not a teaching one, nor work with the poor etc.?

Thanks for any information on them.

Yours in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary

Bernadette

You’ll need to ask her what the name of her order is, as not all orders are alike.

If she is married, it is quite possible that she is a member of a lay order.

Some such can wear habits and may be called ‘Sister’ by fellow members, but are also permitted to marry and pursue careers that would normally be closed to celibate religious.

There are lots of orders within the Catholic Church that are contemplative. They will work in various ways within their communities, and quite hard too, whether it be cooking, cleaning, laundering, maintaining their houses and grounds or whatever. But they rightly consider their chief work to be prayer.

And prayer is just as important a work as any that is done out in the world. If you think otherwise remember the Gospel story of Martha and Mary, remember Our Lady, closest of all people to Christ, who did no preaching or teaching or miraculous healings that we know of but had a rich prayer life.

And also remember St Therese of Lisieux who ardently longed to go out and be a missionary but rightly came to the realisation that she could do just as much good in her quiet and unworldly life in the convent. A view that the church has endorsed by elevating
her to the status of Doctor of the Church.

As for your query about the fact that the community has members of different Christian faiths - the monastic community at Taize in France is the same. my understanding is that they do have prayer together as a community, not Mass. And that the Anglican members will have Sunday worship according to their mode, the Catholics a Catholic Mass for them and so on, so intercommunion doesn’t take place

There are LOTS of “religious orders” which are not official Orders recognized by the Catholic Church. Some of these are based in Catholicism, and have Catholic founders, but are open to non-Catholics with varying degrees of affinity to the Catholic Church. Most enroll married people, and many wear habits.

One such order are the Brothers & Sisters of Charity, founded by Catholic (and secular Fransiscian) musician, John Michael Talbot. FWIW, I greatly enjoy Talbot’s music (his album, The Regathering, is one of my all-time favorites).

I’m familiar with some such communities that are sincere and well-intentioned but kinda wacky in their theology. At the extreme fringes of the scale are outright cults, such as the Branch Davidians and the People’s Temple (Jim Jones’ sect). Some such cults will also wear habit-like clothing (it lends an appearance of credibility and historical authenticity).

There are approved secular Orders within Catholicism. Many Religious Orders (ie, Second Orders of professed celibate brothers/monks and/or sisters/nuns) have secular Third Order chapters. My wife is a secular Carmelite (OCDS). She does not wear the brown Carmelite habit, though she has the right to be buried in one (and this is her desire). As I mentioned, John Michael Talbot is a secular Fransiscian. My Parish has two chapters of secular Dominicans (I once contemplated this vocation).

I can't find the link, but there is a community of women who live as nuns, made up of Anglicans, Catholics, and Orthodox women. I think they're looking to be received into the ordinariate, though I could be wrong. I can't find their webpage right now, but I'll post it when I do.

Here it is!

This what you're talking about :)

[quote="LoyalViews, post:4, topic:281794"]
I can't find the link, but there is a community of women who live as nuns, made up of Anglicans, Catholics, and Orthodox women. I think they're looking to be received into the ordinariate, though I could be wrong. I can't find their webpage right now, but I'll post it when I do.

Here it is!

This what you're talking about :)

[/quote]

Hi LV,

The habits are similar, although hers is a darker blue and she is married and lives close to me with her husband.

It might just be me, but when I am around her I don't get the feelings towards her as I do when I am around "regular sisters/nuns. It just seems strange and I do wonder if she is part of Second or Third Order. Anyway it is all new to me.

Thanks for everyone's input.

God Bless

Bernadette

I think you're referring to the 'The Companions of the Sacred Cross'. They're based in Canada, and their foundress is named Mother Wendy.

They also accept Orthodox ladies, too.

I'm sorry, I don't have a link offhand. Maybe Google the name above.

Yes, I’d just presume it’s a local chapter of a Third Order, because you’d be surprised – some members choose to wear the habit all the time. Or maybe she’s a sort of hermit?

It’s more likely that she is a Sister of the Servants of the Sacred Cross, the link posted before.

I have been in contact with the Formation director and the Superior put out a post back in January. Here is the link to that thread: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=634528&highlight=servants+of+the+sacred+cross

Like a secular order or a community that doesn’t have one specific apostolate, sisters of the SSC and other communities, such as the Daughters of the Heart of Mary serve where they are and bloom in the place where God has planted them.

As for the Anglicans, you’ll see in Mother Wendy’s post, and as I have been told by Sister Patricia, that they will soon be all Catholic and the Anglicans are going through the Ordinariate (to be a part of the Catholic Church). Catholics are required to sign a statement of faith saying they agree with the faith of the Catholic Church and

And the married and single Sisters who do not live in community don’t have to wear the habit all of the time. There is a modified habit for them. From the website:

"There are guidelines as to when the habit must be worn by Extern Sisters, but it is not mandatory to wear it at all times unless the Sister desires to do so. There is also a form of “work habit” for Extern Sisters [Sisters who do not live in community]. The Community has adopted a distinctive long traditional veil, navy with white under-veil and full coif and bandeau, as the head piece for Conventual Sisters. Novice Conventual Sisters wear the same style in white. Sisters living in community must wear the full habit at all times.

Extern Sisters wear a modified veil in a simpler style but the remainder of the habit is the same for both Externs and Conventuals. In addition, the Community offers a simple style of habit suitable for Eastern Orthodox women.

Postulants and Novices wear a wooden cross on a navy cord while the Professed Sisters wear a pewter cross with superimposed anchor, in keeping with the SSC’s motto, Crux Mihi Ancora, “The Cross is my Anchor”. The anchor is an ancient Christian symbol signifying hope.

Members of the Community are addressed as “Sister” as a prefix to their secular names. Conventual Sisters receive a “name in Religion” at their Profession."

From an email from the Vocation Director: “Before a Catholic woman can be clothed (receive the habit), she must sign a “Statement of Faith” stating that she believes all the teachings of the Catholic Church and that she will obey the Pope and the Magisterium.”

I hope that clears things up for you. It’s not for everyone but that’s why there are sooooo many different communities around the world. The sheer number of them makes my head hurt just thinking about it. But when I came across this community, I felt I had found all that I had been looking for.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.