Catholic...anything else is heresy

I am wondering if political correctness has progressed so far that there are those that aren’t willing to admit the title of this thread is true. This is a Catholic website…the majority of people here are Catholics…we believe we are the One, True, Church…right? If that is the case…then anyone not in full communion with The Catholic Church is in a heretical sect or a heretical faith, right? Then why do so many people get upset when we say that if you are not Catholic, then you are heretic…afterall, it is the truth…I guess what they say is true…the truth hurts. I hope we haven’t been effected enough by liberalism, modernism, and political correctness to not call a spade a spade…If we don’t stand up for the teachings of The Catholic Church…then what does that say about us as Catholics? I am not starting this post in order to degrade someone or their faith…but to reaffirm that this is a universal truth we all believe…the difference between you and me though…is that I am willing to be chastised for making this statement, because I love and believe in my faith enough to do so…for those of you who will choose to chastise me over this…I will respond with the words of Christ:
"10 Blessed are they that suffer persecution for justice’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake: 12 Be glad and rejoice, for your reward is very great in heaven. For so they persecuted the prophets that were before you. 13 You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt lose its savour, wherewith shall it be salted? It is good for nothing any more but to be cast out, and to be trodden on by men. 14 You are the light of the world. A city seated on a mountain cannot be hid. 15 Neither do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but upon a candlestick, that it may shine to all that are in the house. "

Dominus Vobiscum

I fully agree to the extent of saying that anything practiced in other faiths that aligns itself with Catholic teachings is not heretical.Any watering down of Catholic doctrine for the sake of ecumenism needs to be totally avoided. To water down the Church is to undermine Christ Himself as the Church is His Bride. I find it hard to see any true Catholic saying that your post is problematic other than to appreciate what we have in common with other faiths and pray for unity… That’s my:twocents:

…and Orthodoxy of course

I suppose first and foremost, I am more concerned with my own sin than with anybody else’s. However, when considering the position of our Protestant or Orthodox sisters and brothers in Christ, I stay mindful of the fact that material heresy and formal heresy are two different things.

…and Oriental Orthodoxy, of course.

It would be important to distinguish between material heretics and formal heretics.

Sedes…I see you are in Charleston…I love that city…I graduated from The Citadel in 2001…went back in November for our 5 year class reunion at homecoming.

Pardon my ignorance. What is material and formal heresy??

one would be born into heresy, while the other chose to leave the faith…

We have quite a few of your Katrina-refugees in these parts. Must be the weather.

I learn something every day. God Bless…:slight_smile:

Blessed are they that suffer persecution for justice’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake: 12 Be glad and rejoice, for your reward is very great in heaven. For so they persecuted the prophets that were before you. 13 You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt lose its savour, wherewith shall it be salted? It is good for nothing any more but to be cast out, and to be trodden on by men. 14 You are the light of the world. A city seated on a mountain cannot be hid. 15 Neither do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but upon a candlestick, that it may shine to all that are in the house. "

Dominus VobiscumDon’t get all martyr complexed over it…:rolleyes:

You make such a self embellishing case as if you are right and everyone else is wrong.

Let’s see what the church actually says about this.

[size=]The sacramental bond of the unity of Christians

1271 Baptism constitutes the foundation of communion among all Christians, including those who are not yet in full communion with the Catholic Church: "For men who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in some, though imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church. Justified by faith in Baptism, [they] are incorporated into Christ; they therefore have a right to be called Christians, and with good reason are accepted as brothers by the children of the Catholic Church."81 "Baptism therefore constitutes the sacramental bond of unity existing among all who through it are reborn."82

See any heresy there?

Who belongs to the Catholic Church?

836 "All men are called to this catholic unity of the People of God. . . . And to it, in different ways, belong or are ordered: the Catholic faithful, others who believe in Christ, and finally all mankind, called by God’s grace to salvation."320

837 "Fully incorporated into the society of the Church are those who, possessing the Spirit of Christ, accept all the means of salvation given to the Church together with her entire organization, and who - by the bonds constituted by the profession of faith, the sacraments, ecclesiastical government, and communion - are joined in the visible structure of the Church of Christ, who rules her through the Supreme Pontiff and the bishops. Even though incorporated into the Church, one who does not however persevere in charity is not saved. He remains indeed in the bosom of the Church, but ‘in body’ not ‘in heart.’"321

838 "The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter."322 Those "who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church."323 With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound "that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord’s Eucharist."324

Any heresy alleged there?

Sure I believe that the Catholic Church is the one true, original, New Testament, “full Gospel” church and that everyone should be Catholic, but do I take the position that you do? Absolutely not! Why? Simple…your rhetoric mirrors that of every anti-Catholic that I have ever encountered. It rings of the same condescending “I love you but…” “No offense but…” self aggrandizing attitude that they take with us Catholics.

And I will never, ever, allow that to creep into my life and faith sharing.

Don’t feel persecuted Dum’ I won’t give you the satisfaction because I don’t honestly believe for a second that you’ll take one word of what I’ve said to heart…but maybe some of the other faithful Catholics that read this will.
Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.[/size]

[LEFT]As this thread is already failing in charity and drifting from topic it is now closed.
[/LEFT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.