Catholic apologetics in regards to Orthodoxy

I’ve been wondering if there’s any source of Catholic apologetics that answers specifically Orthodox questions. It seems like all the resources are geared towards Protestants or Atheists but there seems to be a new trend for traditional Catholics to consider (“convert to”) Orthodoxy and I would love to have some resources when it comes to dealing with them.

I find it much more complicated than when dealing with Protestants and am really at a loss with some of the Orthodox claims against the RCC.

Did you search the Catholic Answers website?

It’s true.
Catholic apologists are so hell bent on talking about why Catholics are correct to have more books in their Bibles than Protestants because of the Septuagint but then are silent in regard to why Orthodox have more books that also were in the Septuagint. Like why we have the first 2 books of Maccabees but not the 3rd or 4th makes no sense since they all were in the Septuagint and you find them all in Greek Orthodox Bibles.

I cant say i have ever read from a Catholic source that the reason we have the books we have in our bible was because of what is in the Septuagint. I have, however, read many times that the reason was because the church decided on the books and if you would like some backing or history for these books you can see them in the Septiagint. This is two completely different points.

Peace!!!

I’ve always heard that the Catholic Church has defined what is in the canon, but not what books are outside the canon. This gives wiggle room for the Eastern Churches to consider additional books canonical. (Who knows if someday those books could be recognized by the RCC as canonical).

The West simply hasn’t incorporated those books either into liturgical use or for doctrinal citations. They generally also haven’t been included in the canons of western synods. However, the west has had a long history of using the deuterocanonical books.

As for apologetics addressing Orthodox concerns specifically, I haven’t seen a book in English dedicated specifically to that, though I’ve found some interesting essays here and there on specific topics, which I haven’t saved.

English is a langauge originating from the western edge of western Christianity. I wonder if there are more apologetic resources in countries (and other langauges) closer to or overlapping with Orthodoxy.

If anyone has a good, Catholic book on the subject, I’d love to read it.

Check out the article, why I’m not Eastern Orthodox, I believe it’s on Catholic answers site. I think the problem with debating folks from Eastern Orthodoxy, is that we have so much in common. I think another problem, is what someone who is a practitioner of Orthodoxy believes, may depend on who their Bishop is. I had a friend of mine, I was talking to, and he was telling me about a friend of his, that was becoming Orthodox, and saying that he had to be charismated (sorry if I misspelled that), even though he’d already been confirmed. That really does depend on who his Bishop is, other bishops wouldn’t have required that. Some, although not all, may have said that he was not even validly baptized. When you talk to someone that is Orthodox, always bring back the issue of authority, but you need to start out with what you have in common. By the way, lest I forget, Dave Armstrong has articles on biblical evidence for Catholicism blog, that deal with Eastern Orthodoxy. I had an instance where I had an Eastern Orthodox priest as a professor, that defended the position, that the Catholic position on contraceptives isn’t infallible, obviously I disagree, however, he was very defensive, when he was talking about Catholicism, and he flat out said that he was frustrated with people saying Catholics worship Mary, he said they give her honour they give her respect, and there’s a place of common ground right there, the Orthodox hold our lady in very high reverence.

Well there was the Galsian Decree in I believe the fourth century that did condemn a list of books however none of the Orthodox books are on it.

http://www.tertullian.org/decretum_eng.htm

Why? We should be concerned about our shared spiritual heritage with the Orthodox.

Most Orthodox I know consider the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox to be “sister Churches.” The ones that tend to be “against” the Catholic Church, in my experience anyway, are Protestant coverts to Orthodoxy and have brought along their anti-Catholic baggage with them.

ZP

Holy Mother Church seeks to focus on common ground, that which unites us with the Orthodox, not that which divides us.
The typical approach that Catholic apologists take towards Protestantism just doesn’t work well with the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox.

You hit the nail right on the head and there have been some great documents in regards to this the last 30 years or so!

ZP

Try this site:
http://catholicbridge.com/orthodox/index.php

Scroll down and click on “Show all Catholic/Orthodox topics”

That’s not quite right. The “canon” is, by definition, the, well, canonical list. So anything not in the canon is outside.

It’s not “canon” but rather “inspired” or “divinely revealed” that you want here–the Church has not stated that books not in the canon are not one of the latter. In fact, most of what we believe/know about Mary’s live comes from the Protoevangelium of St. James, which is rather commonly thought to be divinely inspired (and, no, I will not get into a debate about that!)

The canon was codified at ecumenical councils. While the Bible exists as an exercise of the Church’s teaching authority, the books forming it and chosen by the council are those that were used liturgically at that point.

hawk

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.