Catholic Apologists quote Scripture and ECF and Protestants only use Scripture

I noticed that Catholic Apologists here use Scripture and the Writings of the ECF and seem to be well verse in it. While Protestants only use Scripture and use their own personal interpretation on the Bible.

I also like to note that Catholics does not rely on his own interpretation but ensure the interpretation of Scripture is in line with the Catholic Church. I also noticed many of the Catholics here basically say the same doctrines and beliefs, like believing that Mary is the woman in Revelation 12:1-5 (though the Church never officially declare her to be so), Eucharist, etc. The beliefs are essentially the same.

In Protestant Apologists, their opinions vary and they are not the same. There seem to be a lack of unity in Protestantism. I guess that is because of the doctrine of Sola Scriptura.

Anyone else noticed this?

There are many Protestant commentaries that Protestants use when studying Scripture. If you would take the time to read some you would find that they are all pretty much in agreement with each other. The ECF writings are in fact nothing more than a commentary.

The big difference between the writings of the Early Church Fathers and Protestant commentators, or Protestant reformers themselves, is the fact that some of the Early Church Fathers practiced Christianity during, and sometimes directly under the supervision, of the Apostles themselves.

Who would more correctly know how Christianity was practiced as taught by Christ and then the Apostles, the Early Church Fathers or reformers 1500 years later or even more recent than that?

This is false on its face—Protestants cannot agree upon the number and significance of sacraments, which is why my wife who grew up Presbyterian had to be re-baptized to become a Pentecostal.

If you don’t honor each other’s baptisms, you agree on nothing of importance.

The ECFs were not offering lay commentary—they were officials of the Church, often quite highly-placed. “Nothing more than a commentary” indeed! :tsktsk:

Protestant commentators do not agree with one another. If they did, there would not be so many sects, often using the same denominational name. As a cradle Baptist, I well remember times in my youth when we were feeling somewhat superior to another Baptist church in our part of town, one in which we shared some events, that had some different teachings. We were one and yet we were not one. We, not they, had understood the Bible correctly, or so we thought.

Some teach that one cannot be saved without having been baptized. Others teach that salvation is granted upon reaching a saving belief. Some believe that the Bible commands baptism. Others believe it is an optional devotion. Some believe that Saturday is the holy day while most believe that Sunday is it. Some ordain women while others believe that women must never speak in church. Some hold dances at social events. Others believe that all dancing is totally sinful. Some accept moderate use of alcohol while others quote the Bible on strong drink. Some marry those who were divorced while others refuse. Some allow divorced clergy. Others would never hear of it. Some believe in a clerical hierarchy while others do not. I could go on and on, but you get the picture. Unity of belief is not a mark of Protestantism. If it were, there would not be Protestant churches of the same stated denomination sharing a common property line. That is no joke. There is a pair like that near my old home. Otherwise, one can see them on opposite corners.

We most certainly did not honor other baptisms. People who came from other churches were baptized again unless they came from another church of like faith and practice.

We went to church Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night and occasionally other times. I cannot remember ever hearing ECF anything until I made my trip across the Tiber. It was always nothing but KJV and writings by preachers going back no farther than Moody.

ECF would have been given no more weight in our teaching than would have been afforded the preacher down the road.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.