Catholic apps?

Being a new iphone owner I was looking to see what kind of apps for catholics might be available? Things like spoken bible, apologetics, church history, saint's biographies, bible studies etc. but so much stuff came up but not all catholic in nature so I thought I'd search here. What are some neat apps available that are in line with catholic teaching?

Thanks

One app has almost anything a Catholic could want: iPieta.

This is a partial list of what they have:

Douay Rheims bible, linked to both Haydock commentary and St Thomas Aquinas’s Catena Aurea-- and you have the option of English, Latin, or both, either interlinear or side-by-side

Calndars with readings, gospel is linked, for both OF and EF.

But wait! There’s more!!!

Prayers

and a section with saint’s lives, catechismS, council documents and papal encyclicals, and many good Catholic books like Introduction to the Devout Life…

and the Summa Theologica by St Thomas Aquinas.

ETA and you can download matching audio for quige a number of things on there, but I don’t think you can get an audio of the Bible.

[quote="St_Francis, post:2, topic:237611"]
One app has almost anything a Catholic could want: iPieta.

This is a partial list of what they have:

Douay Rheims bible, linked to both Haydock commentary and St Thomas Aquinas's Catena Aurea-- and you have the option of English, Latin, or both, either interlinear or side-by-side

Calndars with readings, gospel is linked, for both OF and EF.

But wait! There's more!!!

Prayers

and a section with saint's lives, catechismS, council documents and papal encyclicals, and many good Catholic books like Introduction to the Devout Life....

and the Summa Theologica by St Thomas Aquinas.

ETA and you can download matching audio for quige a number of things on there, but I don't think you can get an audio of the Bible. However, I believe that Librivox has the Douay Rheims in audio, you could download that onto iTunes, then sync onto your phone, or get a download manager app and dowload directly onto there. (I have two: Goodreader and Download Manager, you really only need one for both audio and reading. I like both of these.)

[/quote]

Is that something I can listen to or is it all just read only? Thanks

[quote="k5thbeatle, post:3, topic:237611"]
Is that something I can listen to or is it all just read only? Thanks

[/quote]

Oh, I messed up and was editing while you posted. I went and checked so I could get a link for you from Librivox, and they do not have the DR :(

IPieta allows you to download audio of many things on it. If the app description doesn't tell you, you can ask and I will check.

Oops… iPieta allows audio download for many prayers, not the other things.

Librivox is working on the Douay Rheims, and seems to have all the Deuterocanonical books here among all the Bible readings they have.

My son has an iPad and he downloaded an iRosary app.

It is not specifically Catholic, but Olive Tree Bible Reader for the iPhone has several Catholic Bible versions, including the NAB (and soon NABRE) and Douay-Rheims. Also Clementine Vulgate, if you read Latin.

There is a wealth of stuff for prayer. If you’re into praying the Hours, there is “Universalis” and “Divine Office”. “Evangelizo” is also nice.

“iRosary” is a very nice rosary app with both Latin and English.

If you’re a fan of Ignatian spirituality, try “Reflections” - a daily Ignatian meditation.

You can listen to Catholic radio on your iPhone. Try the “AMR Radio” and “LivingBread” apps.

For an introduction to the new Mass translation, there is “New Mass”.

If you travel a lot, you can find the nearest church with your iPhone! The Catholic Directory has an app called “Mass Times” that works flawlessly.

Finally, I like the first iPhone app to have received an imprimatur - “Confession”. It walks you through an examination of conscience, which you can save for the next time you go to the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

If you want to listen while on wifi, you can download several apps for free like Ave Maria Radio, just search for catholic radio.

If you want other things to losten to, look on Sonitus Sanctus, where you will find a wide variety of links to places with Catholic MP3s. A couple I have downlpaded a lot of sermons from is Audio Sancto. There is so much out there !

I also got a cassette converter so I could listen in my car. If your cassette player plays both sides, you need a special converter to work with that; I had to go to an auto parts store fpr that and it was aboit $15.

ETA Librivox also has the audio of several GKChesterton books

If you want a good podcast to listen to, I just discovered one called "RCIA Hollywood". It's available for free on iTunes. Very, very good lectures for intelligent people coming into the faith - or wanting to renew theirs.

Here’s what I have on my iPod Touch…some of these cost a few dollars, no more than $3 I think…

I have iRosary, Divine Mercy, Mother Teresa Quotes, RC Calendar (lite I think), and Mass Times (for when you travel…great source) and Rosary Guide.

iRosary has the Rosary AND Divine Mercy and the Loreto Litanies.

I also have the following free apps for Catholic Radio, which requires some sort of internet connection…hopefully you can connect to these with 3G as well…
Ave Maria Radio
LivingBread
Guadalupe Radio

and the CatholicTV App

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.