Catholic Archbishop [Chaput]: Wake Up! Religious Liberty At Risk In USA

Catholic Archbishop [Chaput]: Wake Up! Religious Liberty At Risk In USA
cnsnews.com/news/article/catholic-archbishop-wake-religious-liberty-risk-usa

People don’t believe it.

Maybe it’s what we need, maybe it’ll put a little distrust in our senses.

Archbishop Chaput’s column:

archphila.org/press%20releases/pr002170.php

Sadly, I don’t know what can be done at this point. I mean, poll after poll show that Catholics by and large support abortion, so-called SSM, gay adoption, and on and on and on. And take a look at how Catholics vote. It’s atrocious. It’s a pitiful situation we’re in! I believe that a lot of the blame can be placed on decade after decade of poor catechesis…And I mean, very poor! Fr. Charles P. Connor referred to this generation as “Catholic illiterates.”

Peace, Mark

I don’t put all the blame on poor catechesis. The bishops have spoken in public on this time and time again, but the people don’t want to hear it. I used to be ignorant, but anyone who cares about the faith will seek knowledge of it. When someone is new to the faith ignorance can be an excuse but not when they’ve been Catholic all their life and have never tried to learn or listen to what the bishops are teaching.

When it comes to people not being educated on the Church’s teachings, I think the problem lies in the old “in one ear, out the other.” As said before, the people just don’t want to listen. They don’t seem to care about what the Church teaches. While we are all sinners, and we all can do better, at least there’s a large group of Catholics who listen to the Church’s teachings. :smiley:

Someone’s chickens came home to roost. :frowning:

Thanks for the link:)

I thank you also for the link.

In addition to this, our generation has near endless resources on the internet. Not only can we go directly to the Vatican’s official website, but we also have plenty of other websites such as EWTN, Catholic Answers, New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia, CatholicCulture.org, Scott Hahn’s Saint Paul Center for Biblical Theology website, etc. And the fidelity of these Catholic websites can be known because we have the Catechism of the Catholic Church to measure it by which is also available for free online or in paperback form for under $10. So I don’t think that many today have a legitimate excuse unless they are illiterate.

Kudos to the Archbishop. Here he shows how more than Catholics could be affected.

I am glad he wrote about the HHS mandate, because some people may have forgot about this battle.

It’s easy to be negative and say no one cares, but the internet has not helped. Yes, we have access to great resources but what we’re getting from the media is 24/7 immorality and half-truths.

Here’s a list of current and past legal actions against the HHS Mandate:

becketfund.org/hhsinformationcentral/

There are people who are willing to stand up and act. This is illegal. There is no legal way for the government to force its citizens to buy a product or service like this. But it appears to me that the largest segment of the population, the fake name baby boomers, and others, will be forced to do what they know is wrong and subsidize fake health care for others, like contraception. Contraception interferes with a natural bodily function. It is not health care. Health care is treating a problem.

I thank God for Archbishop Chaput.

More information: stophhs.com/stop-hhs-faq/

Peace,
Ed

That’s true. The mainstream media is totally corrupt and does the work of Satan. But I still say that it’s not an excuse for most since we have the Catechism of the Catholic Church and the living Magisterium by which we can measure truth from lies. But the problem is that many who call themselves Catholic or Christian are in reality hedonists in love with the pleasures of the flesh, and they allow themselves to be seduced by the lies of the Devil which exploit this weakness of humans. The truth is not what most people want to hear anymore.

I believe we are close to the end times that were prophesied in the Holy Bible. How close God only knows. But it’s clear that there is a major apostasy from God that is aggressively taking place on a global scale. In the prophecies it says that in the end times it will be like how it was in the time of Sodom and Gomorrah and how it was in the time of Noah. In the time of Sodom and Gomorrah homosexuality was rampant, and the flood of Noah represented something that was on a global scale. So combined it matches what’s happening today - the whole world turning into one big Sodom and Gomorrah. This on a global scale is unprecedented in the history of the world.

I emphasize the global aspect of this because there are those who will say “but this has happened before”. But homosexuality has never been this aggressively pushed on a global scale like it is now.

And there are other prophecies that have come to pass in modern times that were previously unprecedented on a global scale such as the global culture of death:

Luke 23:29-30

For behold, the days are coming when they will say, Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bore, and the breasts that never gave suck!' Then they will begin to say to the mountains,Fall on us’; and to the hills, `Cover us.’

This as well as the “rumors of wars” prophesied for the end times which I believe is the threat of nuclear holocaust which is considered by world leaders to be the biggest physical threat to human civilization.

“The day when Americans could take the Founders’ understanding of religious freedom as a given is over,” said the archbishop. “We need to wake up.”

More and more it seems that our constitutional guarantee of religious liberty is being translated from freedom of religion into freedom from religion.

Liberty, once relinquished, is hard to regain. The secular state has become the new religious establishment. It teaches the established religion in the media, in the schools, in the universities, and increasingly tries to see it established as law.

I wouldn’t underestimate the mushy attitude of some bishops (at least on the west coast) toward pro-abortion Democrat catholics. It is the older generation of priests and bishops on the west coast who have that attitude - the younger, newer priests seem to be much more solid. But when pro-abortion Democrat catholics get elected by the votes of catholics then something is wrong. There has been little or not leadership on this issue. Certainly ineffective leadership. The leaders in the Catholic church on the west coast are more likely to emphasize the liberal/left social justice issues like “immigrant rights” “living wage for the poor” etc. over the unborn. The pro-abortion Democrat catholics are right in line with the bishops on those issues. Both US senators from Washington are catholic and get support from Emily’s list (as did our previous catholic governor). Failed leadership is partly to blame, imo.

Ishii

I disagree since during the first Obama campaign the bishops were clear enough that a writer for the National “Catholic” Reporter in defending his vote for Obama said, “Bishops be damned”. And the HHS mandate was condemned by 100% of US bishops, but many Catholics still refused to listen and voted for Obama anyway. If the US bishops were unclear in the 1970’s they made up for it in the last 8-10 years. Like I said, it comes down to how people now only listen when someone is telling them what they want to hear. This time was prophesied in Holy Scripture as follows:

“For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own likings, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander into myths.” - 2 Timothy 4:3-4

How about when the government turned itself into a religion?

With the HHS mandate Obama wants to redefine for us Catholics what it means to be a Catholic. He wants to be our Pope. Unfortunately, the majority of Catholics in the USA act as if he is our Pope. Sometimes I feel like as an orthodox (small “o”) Catholic that I’m part of the smallest minority in the United States. :frowning:

Not exactly my point, but judging by the polls taken among Catholics, there may be some truth to that. However, it extends to more than the HHS mandate and more than just this President.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.