Catholic Artists among Christian music?

This question may already be out there, my apologies if this is a repeat.

I work alone at night, and lately I have been blaring the radio…I alternate between Catholic radio and the contemporary Christian stations. Catholic radio has very little music so I like the Christian music station.

I have been pondering this though: I get the impression many of the christian artists are protestant in general? I suppose it doesn’t matter, but does anyone know if any of these popular groups happen to be Catholic? In a way, for me, I think it would almost take on a new meaning.

TIA!

I have much the same problem. I haven't noted any Catholic artists on the Christian music station, but you may find some who perform the style you like here or here.

I haven't perused either of them much so I can't really give a review.

Mark Maher (Grace is Enough) is Catholic!!! :):)

[quote="ILOVEGOD1970, post:3, topic:217623"]
Mark Maher (Grace is Enough) is Catholic!!! :):)

[/quote]

*Matt :o

Matt Maher, Sarah Hart, Tom Booth, Chris Padgett just to name a few. I listen to them on my mp3 during my commute to work. There is also a band though I can't remember their name off hand and no mp3 near, but there are quite a few Catholic artists out there. I love "Shine Like the Son" by Matt Maher and "You Stand Knocking" by Tom Booth and "Be Forgiven" by Sarah Hart. These are just a few.

I wonder if an internet search would bring something up....

I really love Casting Crowns, Switchfoot, and Jars of Clay....the last two have been favorites of mine for years now....I swear I had a friend once tell me someone in Jars of Clay became Catholic? Dunno, just curious.

I suppose, again, it shouldn't matter....some songs just take a lot on for me, and I thought maybe I would pay more attention to Catholic artists in particular, if I knew of some. :)

John Angotti in an excellent Catholic composer and performer,:thumbsup: I do not know if he gets much air play however.

[quote="zipperc98, post:6, topic:217623"]
I wonder if an internet search would bring something up....

I really love Casting Crowns, Switchfoot, and Jars of Clay....the last two have been favorites of mine for years now....I swear I had a friend once tell me someone in Jars of Clay became Catholic? Dunno, just curious.

I suppose, again, it shouldn't matter....some songs just take a lot on for me, and I thought maybe I would pay more attention to Catholic artists in particular, if I knew of some. :)

[/quote]

I don't think any of those groups are Catholic.

Rich Mullins was on the cusp of being received in the Church when he died. However, I know of at least a couple of his songs that are not in line with Catholic teaching.

Very interesting.

Yeah, I assumed most of the ones I like are not...I guess that's not a big deal.

But I will definitely be checking out Catholic groups as time goes on. Music has always been a big part of my spiritual life. Sometimes it really speaks to me. So finding artists who believe as I do will be helpful. :)

http://payingattentiontothesky.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/mozart1.jpg?w=271&h=283
I recently came across this marvelous meditation on Mozart by the great Theologian Karl Barth.

It gives you a whole other view of music and what it can mean.

Might even get you to pick up a couple Mozart CDs…

dj

payingattentiontothesky.com/2010/10/28/mozart-as-a-musician-of-life%e2%80%99s-gracious-imbalance/

**Danielle Rose is one of my favorites!

daniellerose.com/home**

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

I only found Danielle Rose on the youtube a few days ago. Totally blew me away and i ended up pulling the trigger on all her albums off the Itunes. Did the same with Matt Maher after finding his litany of the saints on the youtube -awesome stuff. Another i listen to is John Michael Talbot whose music puts me in a special place also. There are artists out there. Its unfortunate, however, that they don't get as much exposure as they deserve. If i find any more i'll mention them on here.

Francesca Battistelli

Good Choices. I also really enjoy Jacob and Matthew!

Jars isn’t Catholic. But their new album is AMAZING! The song “No Greater Love” gives me chills because it fills me with such strong images of Mother Teresa. Here’s part of the song:

*Is it still my turn
I think I’m the last one left to learn
That the life I lose
Is the least of my concerns

Show me the beauty of a life
Laid down*

I just think of how beautiful she was ministering and loving the least fortunate among us.

Anyways, “Jars of Clay presents The Shelter” is an amazing album (featuring Matt Maher on one of the songs). They may not be Catholic in name, but their music gives me so much appreciation for our beautiful faith.

[quote="celticsfan1983, post:15, topic:217623"]
Anyways, "Jars of Clay presents The Shelter" is an amazing album (featuring Matt Maher on one of the songs). They may not be Catholic in name, but their music gives me so much appreciation for our beautiful faith.

[/quote]

I have always loved Jars of Clay....some of their music seems very deeply inspiring to me...I should check out that new album.

Hi!!! I am not sure what denomination Phillips, Craig and Dean is - but Revelation Song is one of the most crazy-beautiful perfect songs ever! They did not write it - maybe the person who did write it is Catholic? It doesn't matter because the Holy Spirit definitely led the lyrics for this one:

**Worthy is The Lamb who was slain
Holy, Holy, is He
Sing a new song to Him who sits on
Heaven’s mercy seat

Holy, Holy, Holy is The Lord God Almighty
Who was, and is, and is to come
With all creation I sing praise to the King of kings
You are my everything and I will adore You

Clothed in rainbows, of living color
Flashes of lightning, rolls of thunder
Blessing and honor, strength and glory and power be
To You the only wise King

Holy, Holy
You are Holy

Filled with wonder, awestruck wonder
At the mention of Your name
Jesus Your name is power, breath, and living water
Such a marvelous mystery

Adore You
I cry Holy Lord, Holy Lord All creation sings Holy
Holy Holy (Lord You are Holy)
You are Holy**

This is not only the ringtone for my phone - but also played a big part in my Conversion!!! I still get chills when I hear it!!! :):o:p

[quote="ILOVEGOD1970, post:17, topic:217623"]
Hi!!! I am not sure what denomination Phillips, Craig and Dean is - but Revelation Song is one of the most crazy-beautiful perfect songs ever! They did not write it - maybe the person who did write it is Catholic? It doesn't matter because the Holy Spirit definitely led the lyrics for this one:

[/quote]

It was written by Jennie Lee Riddle and Kari Jobe also had a major hit record with the song.

Audrey Assad is Catholic also. I have a great story about Revelation Song. I was part of the group that did Adoration @ NCCYM. When we sang Revelation Song, you could feel the Spirit moving through that room. It was an awesome experience(not to mention having such an awesome Shepherd in Bishop Noonan celebrate was great too.).

Mike
upperroomadoration.org

I like her, and she did record part of her video for “Beautiful, Beautiful” in a Catholic Church – I think the same one that is seen in the movie October Baby.
But there are a couple of songs in her repertoire that are at least questionable with respect to Carholic theology.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.