Catholic Authors

I am reading George Weigel's 'Letters to a Young Catholic' and enjoying it very much. I plan on reading some of his other books but was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of other authors that have written similar books (historical, what it means to be Catholic). I did a search for both Weigel and Catholic authors and found nothing. Thank you.

John

[quote="johnnyc176, post:1, topic:215450"]
I am reading George Weigel's 'Letters to a Young Catholic' and enjoying it very much. I plan on reading some of his other books but was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of other authors that have written similar books (historical, what it means to be Catholic). I did a search for both Weigel and Catholic authors and found nothing. Thank you.

John

[/quote]

Hi John,
Weigel's book is indeed an excellent work. His writing style is very engaging.
I started to read his wonderful biography of Pope John Paul II but stopped as I was moving house. I hope to begin again soon.
A friend recommended a book called 'The Sacrament of the Present Moment' by Malcolm Muggeridge. I do not know if it is still in print but she said it was such a dynamic and thought-provoking book by the late Catholic writer and broadcaster. I'm sure Amazon would
have it. Good luck on your reading!
God Bless,
Colmcille.

P.S. There is a thread on Henri Nouwen which you might find helpful.

Thomas Howard is one of my favorite Catholic authors, specifically "On Being Catholic."

There's this guy, Karl Keating, who's written a few books you might be interested in... :p

[quote="bluerose, post:4, topic:215450"]
There's this guy, Karl Keating, who's written a few books you might be interested in... :p

[/quote]

Lol.....now that I looked him up I imagine I would be. Thanks.

Thank you Colmcille and Karen. Quite a few books by the authors you mentioned (especially Nouwen) on my library list. A note on 'The Sacrament of the Present Moment'. Amazon has the author as Jean-Pierre de Caussade translated by Kitty Muggeridge.

God Bless,

John

There is Living the Catholic Faith by Denver Archbishop Charles Chaput.

Someone just gave me a copy of Matthew Kelly's Rediscovering Catholicism.

If you listen to Catholic radio or watch Catholic TV, look up some of the hosts and guests; they probably have books out there that would interest you.

[quote="johnnyc176, post:5, topic:215450"]
Lol.....now that I looked him up I imagine I would be. Thanks.

Thank you Colmcille and Karen. Quite a few books by the authors you mentioned (especially Nouwen) on my library list. A note on 'The Sacrament of the Present Moment'. Amazon has the author as Jean-Pierre de Caussade translated by Kitty Muggeridge.

God Bless,

John

[/quote]

Hi John,
Thank you for your clarification on that one!
Happy reading!
God Bless,
Colmcille.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.