Catholic bashing book

Has anyone read this book…I got it for my daughter who likes to argue with people online that have misconceptions about the Catholic faith. She wondered why we were picked on the most or close to maybe the Evangelicals. It doesn’t put Catholics down but truthfully tries to see why and how it started and discuss’s past and modern day things.

The New Anti-Catholicism: The Last Acceptable Prejudice,

What is the title?

M

[quote="debraran, post:1, topic:239394"]
Has anyone read this book...I got it for my daughter who likes to argue with people online that have misconceptions about the Catholic faith. She wondered why we were picked on the most or close to maybe the Evangelicals. It doesn't put Catholics down but truthfully tries to see why and how it started and discuss's past and modern day things.

The New Anti-Catholicism: The Last Acceptable Prejudice,

[/quote]

That is a good book. It is written by Dr. Phillip Jenkins:

youtube.com/watch?v=nvLqR0FChEk

[quote="mlldrl, post:2, topic:239394"]
What is the title?

M

[/quote]

Dear mlldrl,

Cordial greetings and a very good day.

The title of the book is: The New Anti-Catholicism: The Last Acceptable Prejudice by Philip Jenkins (Oxford University Press, ISBN 0195154800).

This volume has been favourably reviewed by, among others, the National Catholic Register. Interestingly, the book is written by a scholar who has departed from the Catholic Church, thus it provides history and insight from a chap with no possible motive to defend the Church or its dogmas etc.

This text looks as if it might be jolly useful as an apologetic resource to Catholics who are seeking to make sense of the constant barrage of attacks upon our beloved Church from fundamentalists and liberals. I will probably be securing a copy fairly soon.

Warmest good wishes,

Portrait

Pax

[quote="Portrait, post:4, topic:239394"]
Dear mlldrl,

Cordial greetings and a very good day.

The title of the book is: The New Anti-Catholicism: The Last Acceptable Prejudice by Philip Jenkins (Oxford University Press, ISBN 0195154800).

[/quote]

Oh. Silly me I though the OP was making a statement.

Thanks,
M

It is indeed a good book. The author Philip Jenkins is I believe an Episcopalian.

Dr. Jenkins has been one of the best writers on the Priest abuse crisis who actually uses comparitive figures and statistics to show its NOT a “pedophile” crisis (though there ARE pedophiles among the abusers) but rather it’s primarily a crisis of homosexual priests crossing the age barrier to prey upon post-pubescent males (which is NOT pedophilia–go argue w/ the DMV-IV if you disagree)

Yes, my daughter liked it because it’s brutally honest in some areas (she hates whitewashing things) and balanced.

I’ve read simiilar books by priests or ex-priests but his book is the best and not biasd.

That sounds like a good book. Must get a copy. Good for Dr. Jenkins. :thumbsup:

[quote="Lion_of_Narnia, post:7, topic:239394"]
Dr. Jenkins has been one of the best writers on the Priest abuse crisis who actually uses comparitive figures and statistics to show its NOT a "pedophile" crisis (though there ARE pedophiles among the abusers) but rather it's primarily a crisis of homosexual priests crossing the age barrier to prey upon post-pubescent males (which is NOT pedophilia--go argue w/ the DMV-IV if you disagree)

[/quote]

His research also indicated that the problem wasn't any worse among priests than anywhere else in society, which isn't exactly something to put in a brochure, but certainly goes a long way to against arguments suggesting that the nature of priesthood somehow causes the problem.

On the one hand, I'd love to see him join the Catholic Church, but it is awfully helpful to have a non-Catholic conducting research that people can't say is biased.

A good book is: " Catholicism for Dummies " by Frs. Trigilio and Brighenti. I recommend for Catholics and non-Catholics alike.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.