Catholic bashing

Why do people bash catholics so much ?

I think they have a desperate need to justify their schismatic stance. If you stand apart from the one true Church, you have to be fairly vehement about your opposition, don’t you think?

I also think the Church is an old and venerable institution with many followers. People love to bash institutions like that!

In part, it’s the unfounded arrogance which we project, steming, I believe, from our blessed assurance of salvation. I don’t believe Protestants, especially of the once-saved-always-saved tradition, know where they really stand before God. Thank God for the Sacrament of Confession!!

It’s interesting to me how many Protestants will talk of the great number who will not be going to heaven. Yet, it doesn’t appear to be any of them. I guess it’s just us Catholics and other non-Christians.

Ignorance, and arrogance (they can go hand in hand). In America, the Catholic understanding goes against our individualistic thinking.

Are you kidding! It is so much easier to be a Protestant.

1. I said a prayer and now I am saved.

2. I don’t have to go to confession ever.

3. I don’t have to go to church every Sunday.

4. I don’t have to waste my money for big celebrations for Baptism,Holy Communion,and Confirmation.

5. I don’t have to learn the Rosary.

6. I don’t have to bend my knees.

7. No midnight Mass

8. No CCd every wednesday

9. I don’t have to learn about the saints or pray to them.

10. I don’t have to worry about dropping the Body and Blood of Jesus every Sunday.

11. I don’t have to marry in the church.

12. I can leave my spouse whenever I want to.

Yup it is harder to be Catholic. 2000 years of Sacred Tradition and all the blood from the martyred saints on your shoulders. That’s heavy.

They don’t want us to be right. The thought is to scary.

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Right! So, when is a locomotive most free?

Why do Catholics bash Protestants, Christians bash non-Christians, non-Christians bash Christians, Jews bash Muslims, Muslims bash Jews, Christians bash Muslims, Muslims bash Christians, Christians bash Jews, Jews bash Christians, ad nauseum?

Insecurity. Because human nature often appears to feel the need to belittle or ridicule others that differ from themselves in order to feel secure that their choice is the right one. Because having anyone differ from oneself makes one feel threatened.

2000 years ago Catholicism began.
The ancient jews rejected it mostly;
The islamists were Catholic until they rejected it;
The EO were united Catholics until they split;
The protestants were Catholic until they rejected it;
Many athiests were probably baptised, until they in turn rejected it.

Basically, a lot of people define themselves in relation to Catholicism.
Its like some sort of standard against which people situate themselves at various distances either north south, east or west.

Maybe it’s the same reason that the posters here bash Protestants, Mormons, Moslems, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Seventh-Day Adventists, Buddhists, and Hindus so much?

Because acceptance of Catholic teaching means they would have to change their lives - stop contracepting, stop living together, stop aborting, and actually humble themselves to the Magisterium.

No one said it was easy to be Catholic. Just ask the holy martyrs.

It’s far easier to just live according to one’s own rule and not be accountable to anyone.

~Liza

This is why:

Acts 23-30

23 After their release they went back to their own people and reported what the chief priests and elders had told them.
24 And when they heard it, they raised their voices to God with one accord and said, “Sovereign Lord, maker of heaven and earth and the sea and all that is in them,
25 you said by the holy Spirit through the mouth of our father David, your servant: 'Why did the Gentiles rage and the peoples entertain folly?
26 The kings of the earth took their stand and the princes gathered together against the Lord and against his anointed.'
27 Indeed they gathered in this city against your holy servant Jesus whom you anointed, Herod and Pontius Pilate, together with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel,
28 to do what your hand and (your) will had long ago planned to take place.
29 And now, Lord, take note of their threats, and enable your servants to speak your word with all boldness,
30 as you stretch forth (your) hand to heal, and signs and wonders are done through the name of your holy servant Jesus.”

And

Acts 40-42

40 After recalling the apostles, they had them flogged, ordered them to stop speaking in the name of Jesus, and dismissed them.
41 So they left the presence of the Sanhedrin, rejoicing that they had been found worthy to suffer dishonor for the sake of the name.
42 And all day long, both at the temple and in their homes, they did not stop teaching and proclaiming the Messiah, Jesus.

It has been going on since the beginning. If the Apostles had endured it, and rejoiced, then shouldn’t we also??

If they didn’t want to be “bashed” they should have picked a nice, safe religion like Judaism or Islam. No one ever gets mocked or aboused for being Jewish or Muslim.

We’re not allowed to mock Judaism or Islam. :tsktsk: They won’t let us.

I don’t agree with you. I think some bashing is ignorance and some is not really bashing but questioning the validity of many practices and beliefs that are not only not founded upon scripture but contrary to scripture. Not all folks that are not in agreement with the authority of Rome are ignorant of Catholic faith and doctrine.

Because Anti-Catholicism is the last accepted prejudice

I will say that one of the most suprising things I found on this board was the degree of anomisity between Catholics and Protestants. As a Jew, I have to admit that I generally viewed the world of Christianity as “us against them”. It was odd to see what at first looked like infighting between christians when I started visiting these boards. I’ve since learned that there is strongly held differences of belief amond christians that explains (but does not justify) a lot of the bashing I’ve seen here.

Ignorant of the understanding of Catholic faith and doctrine then ?:cool:

There’s an old expression that goes, “If you shoot at a king, you’d better kill him.”

There is also the corollary to doing the bashing, which is the perceived legitimacy and prestige granted by being a victim (this is usually perceived only in the case of those who have no personal idea what actual persecution entails). There are portions of most any group that will loudly proclaim persecution in the face of glaring evidence to the contrary because it gives them a group identity and a perceived level of attention that they believe others get who are actually persecuted.

also…
Don’t forget the fact that we, many Catholics, do not live as good Catholics. That is one of the reasons we get bashed for.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.