Catholic bible devotional

I found the following devotional guide at Books-a-Million today:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e377/papismark/IMG_0233.jpg

I bought it mainly because I figured it would help me grow spiritually, but that's beside the point. The main reason I'm posting this is the sticker, which is quite large compared to the relatively small book. Part of me found it somewhat amusing that someone felt the need to let everyone know that this bible devotion book was Catholic. The other part of me is kind of insulted that they had to put a giant red sticker on it warning everyone that this isn't a "real" bible devotional - it's Catholic. That same part of me wants to say if any book deserves a giant red sticker, it's non-Catholic bible books. After all, the bible is a Catholic book, so people should be warned that what is contained inside may not be true to the original contents or intents of the authors.

Maybe it's just me being sensitive when there's no need. Anyone seen something like this? If so, what are your thoughts?

-CK

I wouldn't necessarily see it as a "warning," just a label.

[quote="Catholic_Kenpo, post:1, topic:209959"]
I found the following devotional guide at Books-a-Million today:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e377/papismark/IMG_0233.jpg

I bought it mainly because I figured it would help me grow spiritually, but that's beside the point. The main reason I'm posting this is the sticker, which is quite large compared to the relatively small book. Part of me found it somewhat amusing that someone felt the need to let everyone know that this bible devotion book was Catholic. The other part of me is kind of insulted that they had to put a giant red sticker on it warning everyone that this isn't a "real" bible devotional - it's Catholic. That same part of me wants to say if any book deserves a giant red sticker, it's non-Catholic bible books. After all, the bible is a Catholic book, so people should be warned that what is contained inside may not be true to the original contents or intents of the authors.

Maybe it's just me being sensitive when there's no need. Anyone seen something like this? If so, what are your thoughts?

-CK

[/quote]

When you opened it, did it have an Imprimatur?

I would be offended by this.
I have been in Books-a-Million and found some extreme anti-Catholic books on their shelves, such as writings by Jack Chick, and someone who wrote several books about the “Vatican Billions.”

But then, our local Catholic book store has the Left Behind series on the shelves.

The owner said they really were “left behind” by the previous owner-- the shop used to be a generic “Christian” book store.

Nihil Obstat: John J. Quinn, M.A.
Censor Librorum

Imprimatur: Patrick J. Sheridan, D.D.
Vicar General, Archdiocese of New York

-CK

You’re in the Bible Belt, aren’t you? That explains it.
Those people think Catholics have horns growing out of their heads-- at least that’s what I’ve heard.

Strip that label off the book and just read it!
God bless you.

[quote="Catholic_Kenpo, post:1, topic:209959"]
The other part of me is kind of insulted that they had to put a giant red sticker on it warning everyone that this isn't a "real" bible devotional - it's Catholic. That same part of me wants to say if any book deserves a giant red sticker, it's non-Catholic bible books. After all, the bible is a Catholic book, so people should be warned that what is contained inside may not be true to the original contents or intents of the authors.

-CK

[/quote]

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I would have assumed it was so we could find the real Bible.
I for one would appreciate such stickers cuz in bookstores our stuff is usually swamped by ninety-leven Protestant Bible versions, commentaries &c, &c.

[quote="didymus, post:6, topic:209959"]
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I would have assumed it was so we could find the real Bible.
I for one would appreciate such stickers cuz in bookstores our stuff is usually swamped by ninety-leven Protestant Bible versions, commentaries &c, &c.

[/quote]

That's what I would say. I'm guessing it's some sort of "daily reading" guide, so the Catholic version would include the deuterocanon while a "generic" version wouldn't.

We have Catholic versions of Bible's (like the RSV-Catholic Edition), so this really isn't any different.

Magnificat (which is a monthly catholic devotional) is a very good publication. I recommend it as a good alternative.

magnificat.net/english/index.asp

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.