Catholic bishop lends support to medical marijuana

Des Moines’ Catholic bishop is joining with Iowa lawmakers who are pushing to make medical marijuana legal in the state.

Bishop Richard Pates, the influential leader of 100,000 Roman Catholics in southwest Iowa, has asked House and Senate members to approve a comprehensive bill to permit medical cannabis. The Iowa Legislature is in an intense debate over medical marijuana legislation as the final days of the 2016 session wind down.

“I believe now is the time to help suffering Iowans and their families get access to this medicine,” Pates said in a letter dated late last week.​

desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2016/04/25/catholic-bishop-lends-support-medical-marijuana/83507586/

If this is medicine, it should go through the same clinical studies as any medicine/drug, get FDA approval and be sold in pharmacies, not “dispensaries.”

Ed

(bad pun alert…)

(you have been warned…)

What a dopey statement! :smiley:

… groan …

Ed :slight_smile:

Mea culpa… :slight_smile:

Seriously, though, you’ve made an excellent point: if it’s really “medicinal” marijuana, let it pass the safety and efficacy checks that any other drug goes through. If it proves to be unsafe or ineffective, it might as well be dropped. :slight_smile:

Not clear on why we are spending millions on anti tobacco smoking campaigns and saying that marijuana is okay.

Medical marijuana? I do not like that idea at all.

We do not use cocaine for toothaches, do we?

I did the internet research.

Marijuana causes an eight (8) point reduction in IQ.

That was the OLD marijuana.

The new marijuana is MUCH more powerful.

Look it up.

My main concern is, Marijuana causes a state of ecstasy in certain levels, aka as a “High”. My concern about “Medical” Marijuana is that people can abuse it and end up injuring themselves or others. Recently, there have been a few traffic accidents that were FATAL and some drivers were found with more than the legal limit of THC. I will not argue, as this might have been a “Freak Event”, but I see signs saying that it is not in anyones best interest to pursue such a drug as a medical treatment.

We do use opiates for toothaches. Is that okay?

When a little girl is on 10 traditional medications and still suffers from 1000 seizures a day they should be allowed to use Cannabis to treat their suffering if its effective. It is highly immoral to deny them that.

No, you shouldn’t. I live in Colorado, and that’s how it all started. Basically a year after that it was legal for whatever reason. Big red flag going up when I hear that.

When a little girl is on 10 traditional medications and still suffers from 1000 seizures a day they should be allowed to use Cannabis to treat their suffering if its effective. It is highly immoral to deny them that. Please stop your self righteousness this is a real issue that has real consequences. Next time you condemn those who use medical marijuana think about the children who need that medicine to stay alive.

I am not a medical proffesional

You don’t need to be a medical professional. When a doctor who has a patient that is failing on 10 traditional medications and prescribes cannabis as treatment which will bring the condition under control you do not block that. You do not tell the little girl that she will have to die because you are afraid of marijuana. And if you are not a medical professional why are you so quick to make a judgement agaisnt marijuana.

What I’m saying is medical turned to recreational almost instantly.

That would be ideal, but as our farcical federal agencies have classified marijuana as a Schedule I drug that isn’t possible, and the only way to get medicine to patients is thorough the back door.

It’s less frequent today but it’s used in dental and other procedures.

What I am saying is that opposition to medical marijuana is killing little children with epillepsy and it is a sin above all othes to oppose saving children.

While medicinal marijuana is a promising treatment for childhood epilepsy, I believe your “1000 seizures a day” is hyperbolic.

Moreover, even those researchers who advocate it mention that we don’t know enough about its long-term effects on a child’s brain:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27139708

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26835389

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26800377

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26724101

Considering its well-known mental health risks (which have now extended beyond schizophrenia to bipolar disorder), caution would still be advisable.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.