Catholic bishops keep focus on abortion, marriage

news.yahoo.com/catholic-bishops-keep-focus-abortion-marriage-211419458.html;_ylt=A0LEV1WjiptT1kgAWIpXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzbDYwcm81BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1NXSU1DMF8x

This statement is false:

< Francis has said the church has been alienating Catholics by focusing more on divisive social issues than on mercy and compassion. >

The reporter also says that the bishops’ document on voting is a point of contention within the Church,but actually,the only people in the Church who complain about the document are those who wrongly think that government social programs are as important as abolishing legal abortion. And legal abortion is itself a social justice concern.

< The bishops’ document on political responsibility, titled “Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship,” has been published every four years since 1976, and has become a point of contention within the church over which issues voters should consider most important: abortion or social justice. The bishops voted Wednesday to incorporate Francis’ teachings into the document, but rejected a complete rewrite in favor of limited changes instead. >

Good, am glad to hear it. But I am also glad and relieved they will pick up the social justice theme more emphatically. I think we should we push our political parties to conform to the teachings of Christ, not the other way around.

It’s a voters guide, not a handbook for living a moral life. Abortion and marriage are still, in the US at least, the most critical issues facing voters. There are certainly many other social issues but they don’t pop up much in the ballot box.

Sometimes I get the feeling that some people really think that abortion/gay marriage are really going to somehow overtake helping the poor as an “issue” in the Church.

To me it’s really just a rather mindless way of thinking because the abortion/gay marriage thing and the issue of helping the poor are not at all in any way whatsoever even in the slightest opposed to each other.

Let’s think of the strongest voices in the US Church today like Bishop Paprocki and Archbishop Cordileone for a minute. Now, is someone really going to tell me that their dioceses are neglecting the care for the poor and instead spending gigantic resources on abortion/gay marriage? I don’t think so.

I mean, this is risible. These issues don’t even require the same responses, so they aren’t even taking up the same resources. The issue of helping the poor principally requires three things: prayer, money and people. On the other hand abortion/gay marriage principally requires another three things: prayer (which isn’t really limited in any sense anyway), clear exposition of doctrine and persuasive practical manifestations of that doctrine.

It’s like this, “ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG if the bishop sez abortion ZOMG POOR PPL!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!! Y U HATE GAY PPL? renews subscription to the National Catholic Reporter.

So yeah mainly sensational garbage imho.

:shrug:

Cornerstones of civilization. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.