Catholic Bishops of Zambia: 'Constitution Should Not Identify Zambia as Christian Nation'

Link here: catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=15290&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+CatholicWorldNewsFeatureStories+(Catholic+World+News+(on+CatholicCulture.org

Zambia’s constitution should not identify ‘Christian nation,’ bishops argue

CWN - August 20, 2012

The Catholic bishops of Zambia are opposing a plan to identify the African country as “a Christian nation” in the preamble to a new proposed constitution.

In explaining their stand, the bishops said that “a country cannot practice the values and precepts of Christianity by a mere declaration.” The bishops’ statement, circulated in response to a call for comments on the draft constitution, continued:

The principle of separation between State and Religion must not be lost. If Zambia is a multi-religious Country, a fact that was recognized in the preamble of the first draft of the Technical Committee, to say that Zambia is a Christian nation would be in contradiction with this fact.

In other comments, the Catholic bishops objected to language that would allow for the death penalty and for legal abortion.

Remnant’s take: remnantnewspaper.com/

“World news”?

I actually agree with the Bishops on this. The Constitution isn’t the place to establish religion, especially when Christianity is so fragmented and diverse in Zambia that any general label of “Christian” is practically inapplicable.

The country is either Christian or it isn’t, but that happens on the ground, not on a piece of paper.

Peace and God bless!

P.S. As a side note, there are two states between the Granola State and Canada. Which one do you inhabit?

If we take a look at nations with state religions, we see some of the most secular societies in the world. I am thinking Europe and Scandinavia here.

On the last point, I consider Oregon as the granola state. I am in King county, actually.Yeah, that one.

Which is precisely my point, and I believe part of the point of the Bishops. State religion doesn’t make for religious practice.

On the last point, I consider Oregon as the granola state. I am in King county, actually.Yeah, that one.

Never heard Oregon called that before, but it’s true enough. Though if Oregon is Granola, so is Western Washington. I’m in Seattle so I’m familiar with the “Granola Belt” of Cascadia. :stuck_out_tongue:

Peace and God bless!

Why wouldn’t it be. If Catholic bishops were opposed to a re-draft of the US constitution would you expect that to be stuck in a local news channe?

When that was posted the thread wasn’t in World News yet; it was a request in the form of a question.

Peace and God bless!

This was originally posted in a different forum, and has been moved. That was a suggestion.

Makes sense. Identifying it as a Christian nation in the Constitution just opens up a can of worms as people argue over which flavor of Christianity, how it should be enforced, if it should be enforced, the extent to which the government tolerates other religions, etc.

Better to just let people decide which religion they want to follow and be identified as and not have the government involved in the process.

Better to just let people decide which religion they want to follow and be identified as and not have the government involved in the process.

I think it would depend on the country. To say the country recognizes the importance of Christianity in the foundation of its laws would seem perfectly acceptable. You can’t separate morals and laws from the faith of the people.

Abortion can only be understood as evil with the idea of the dignity of the individual being recognized from conception to natural death.

Sorry. It was in that section when I came across it and didn’t know it had been moved.
It kind of came across as a bit sarcastic in the sequence of comments, as if to say, should this be considered newsworthy? Needless to say I totally misread the comment.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.