Catholic Bishops Start Fortnight of Freedom Campaign for Religious Conscience

Catholic Bishops Start Fortnight of Freedom Campaign for Religious Conscience
(today, June 21st to Independence Day, July 4th)

lifenews.com/2013/06/21/catholic-bishops-start-fortnight-of-freedom-campaign-for-religious-conscience/

In response to the many threats to religious freedom in the “Land of the Free,” the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops is once again sponsoring a national Fortnight for Freedom from June 21 to July 4. This period of prayer, fasting and action is meant to unite the faithful in defending our religious freedom.

June 21 is the eve of the feast of St. Thomas More and St. John Fisher, both of whom were martyred because of their refusal to support the King of England’s break with the Catholic Church. What better patrons could we have for our stand for religious freedom than these faithful men who died rather than act against their consciences?

1. Do you think this “Fortnight of Freedom” campaign has much value?

2. What is your parish and/or diocese doing to observe it?

3. Will you personally pray and fast for religious liberty?

If last year is anything to judge by then:

1. NO

2. Parish - NOTHING / Dio. - A COUPLE OF TALKS

3. YES

1. I certainly think it has value and I’m glad we are doing something of the sort. I’m unsure about the effectiveness of this particular strategy though. I’m sure stretching it out to two weeks is helpful for scheduling many events in many different places, but it makes the whole thing less distinct. And repeating these fortnights doesn’t help to keep the issue fresh. I’m surprised that this time around they didn’t mix things up and organize a single day of activity all over the country to really get people’s attention.

2. I’m unaware of anything happening locally around me, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t happening.

3. I’m praying for the situation

PP and AM I’m glad you are praying. Please encourage others to pray also.

Not a peep from anyone in my diocese or any parishes here about the Fortnight either.
Not a peep this past year from the clergy during their homilies, or in parish bulletins, about the issues.

CATHOLICS ARE NOT IN THE KNOW and in fact many are very misinformed or poorly informed, and too many are ignorant and apathetic about the issues and about what is going on.

I pray every day for the Church’s and our nation’s leaders.

It’s how it was 45 years ago, when Pope Pius VI issued Humanae Vitae on the regulation of births – our clergy ignored it. Maybe they can be excused to some degree, maybe they didn’t get it from their bishops and we didn’t have the Internet back then.

It’s how it was 40+ years ago when abortion was legalized (1970 in a few states, 1973 nationwide). No instruction to the Catholics in the pew or Catholic students about the evils of abortion.

USCCB website: usccb.org/issues-and-action/religious-liberty/fortnight-for-freedom/
There is a list of resources for parish and other use, including bulletin inserts, on the left side of the web page. I wonder how many bishops have instructed their pastors and Catholic school administrators to look at and use this website.

Prayer for the Protection of Religious Liberty
O God our Creator,
from your provident hand we have received
our right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
You have called us as your people and given us
the right and the duty to worship you, the only true God,
and your Son, Jesus Christ.
Through the power and working of your Holy Spirit,
you call us to live out our faith in the midst of the world,
bringing the light and the saving truth of the Gospel
to every corner of society.

We ask you to bless us
in our vigilance for the gift of religious liberty.
Give us the strength of mind and heart
to readily defend our freedoms when they are threatened;
give us courage in making our voices heard
on behalf of the rights of your Church
and the freedom of conscience of all people of faith.

Grant, we pray, O heavenly Father,
a clear and united voice to all your sons and daughters
gathered in your Church
in this decisive hour in the history of our nation,
so that, with every trial withstood
and every danger overcome—
for the sake of our children, our grandchildren,
and all who come after us—
this great land will always be “one nation, under God,
indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”

We ask this through Christ our Lord.

Amen.**

1. I think it does have a positive effect on some Catholics, and it makes us at least look like we’re doing something. That is good, and is a first step in the right direction. However, I do not believe that this is the best strategy. I will not contravene my bishop. However, I will do what I can on my own in addition to this.

2. Parish: not much, although the pastor does talk about it a lot, or similar issues, in his homilies. He gets it. Diocese: the Pontifical Masses, talks, etc.

3. I will.

God bless the bishops and all faithful Catholics in this fight. But we wouldn’t need a first or a second Fortnight for Freedom Campaign if Catholics wouldn’t have voted for Obama in the first place. Here’s something that I think sums up the current situation in America:

http://iycoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/Obama-and-Church.jpg

Thank you for praying YTC.

I’m curious if you have any ideas about what might be a good strategy for the Church in the U.S. to use.

It sounds like your pastor is a blessing!!

1. Yes.

2. Parish: I don’t know. Diocese: Abp. Nienstedt is presiding a Mass for this next week.

3. I’ll try.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.