Catholic bishops switch course and urge Congress to preserve health care coverage

At a conference at Catholic University of America, just north of Capitol Hill, Boston Cardinal Sean O’Malley called affordable health care “foundational” and warned government leaders that they had a “moral obligation” not to deprive people of health insurance.

cruxnow.com/rns/2017/01/21/catholic-bishops-switch-course-urge-congress-preserve-health-care-coverage/

:thumbsup:

I think the article has mistaken information because the Bishops called on universal healthcare before that however they said that they had a problem with the HHS mandate they never said they had a problem with government-funded health care some individual Bishops may very well have had a problem but United States Conference of Catholic Bishops did not at least not that I’ve read

I disagree. The government doesn’t have a moral obligation to give us stuff. It is us the citizens of the United States that have a moral obligation to love our neighbor and provide said “healthcare”, not insurance. Universal healthcare can’t work, there is to much greed in the system. That’s why I dropped my health insurance and switched to a Christian Health sharing organization. It’s members loving your neighbor taking care of each other. Only the members involved, no stock holders trying to make a buck off your premium. If the Bishops want to make a statement they should switch every church employee and encourage parishioners to join one of these organizations. This would make a statement to our insurance companies make and would make these organizations a real competitor in the market place.

:thumbsup: Spot on !

Just a question. Is the plan accepted as widely as say BCBS among providers?

My understanding is that these are not plans, they are health care cost sharing arrangements. Perhaps somebody is negotiating with providers but they aren’t forming networks, negotiating allowable fees and service registers. A member accesses service, gets billed, passes on the bill to the administrators at the health care cost sharing organization.

Interesting read. There were certainly a couple of points of interest:

1. The statement that the ACA is more popular than ever. 45% according the poll. Given what popular connotates in the American lexicon that wording seems questionable.
  2. The bishops urge that a viable replacement is in place prior to repel. That’s common sense.
  3. Without a link the article states that premiums will sky rocket if the ACA is repealed. I did not see anything to substantiate that claim. Nor did I see recognition that in several states exchange premiums were increasing by up to 80% on top of the fact that said increase is further compounded by rising deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums.

It’s not insurance. It’s a Christian health sharing organization. So I can see whoever I want. Wife had kidney stones in November. Had to have 2 surgeries. Went to the hospital as a cash patient. The hospital was wonderful. Gave us a 75% discount for not having insurance. The urologists were terrible, charged us 3 times the Bcbs allowable, refused to discount. I sent the bills to my organization they were approved and next month other members should start sending me their shares to help pay my bills. Sure it was more work on my part but my monthly family share is about $500 per month and it is looking like all my wife’s bills should be covered. Sure beats my old BCbs plan that was $1200 per month and an $11,000 family deductible. If I had kept that plan last year I would have had 20k out of pocket before Bcbs paid a penny towards my wife’s hospital stay.

WOW! Very interesting, this!

I don’t know but I read here a previous letter from the bishops to Congress noted the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops supported the general goal of the 2010 health care law, but added that the conference in the end opposed its passage “because it expanded the role of the federal government in funding and facilitating abortion and plans that cover abortion, and it failed to provide essential conscience protections and access to health care for immigrants.”

catholicnewsagency.com/news/us-bishops-health-care-should-be-truly-universal-affordable-63861/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+catholicnewsagency%2Fdailynews+%28CNA+Daily+News%29&utm_term=daily+news

Are you using CMF Curo? cmfcuro.com

And one way that we can do this is a comprehensive fashion is though our government.

That’s why I dropped my health insurance and switched to a Christian Health sharing organization. It’s members loving your neighbor taking care of each other.

Went to the hospital as a cash patient. The hospital was wonderful. Gave us a 75% discount for not having insurance.

Hmmm… Perhaps you might like to clarify, but it appears that somehow the hospital thought you were without resources, notwithstanding your participation in a Christian Health sharing organization in lieu of insurance. That 75% discount was funded by other patients paying elevated costs to support you. That is one sweet deal.

I agree.

It’s contrary to the Gospels to knowingly and wilfully deprive disadvantaged persons of the ability to receive healthcare when they fall ill.

I am glad I am not a Catholic living in the USA who is forced to choose between church-hating proabortionists and anti"communal healthcare for the poor" and “don’t you tax my money in order to help the least fortunate” parties.

It is catholic and humane to protect life from conception, to support social structures that help the poor, especially healthcare, to be compassionate to immigrants already in the country who are not fellons or dangerous and to be responsible in our use of the environment, not just for ourselves but for all the future generations of humans who have a right to an integral world as a home just like we living right now.

But ideology gets in the way of common sense.

The one thing I liked about Trump is that he seemed willing to protect life, the church and was for universal healthcare and anti-unnecessesary wars. He scares me a lot in his reactive, frankly juvenile behaviour but you could see that being outside the crystallized ideological mold of the two parties, he was more flexible with some things and could see things in the common sense way of an average man on the streets.

The dogmas of the two parties prevent people from using their common sense and natural compassion for the unborn, the sick poor and immigrants already in the U.S for many years. These are things that if it were not for ideologies, most people would agree on.

Unaffordably high deductibles.

Super high annual premium increases. [Double digits in most places; triple digits in at least one place … up 116%]

Mandatory coverages for things you don’t need or want.

Federal Internal Revenue Service penalties.

Really???

This is what we want?

Some sort of Christian Health sharing organization seems like a viable way to go.

Yes. :thumbsup:

I have only had to use it this one time so I am still learning the ins and outs. So far no regrets.

Can you join and participate if you are not Christian?

Disagree. I work in the health care industry. The government has handled the medicare and medicaid side of healthcare for years, just ask anyone over 65 how well that is working out for them. Then go and ask any provider how well they enjoy jumping through hoops working with the government bureaucracy to get paid.

Hmmm… Perhaps you might like to clarify, but it appears that somehow the hospital thought you were without resources, notwithstanding your participation in a Christian Health sharing organization in lieu of insurance.

I am a cash patient and the hospital knew full well I was not without resources. On several occasions they asked me to fill out paperwork to get medical assistance through the government (which would have lowered my bill considerably more). I already knew the hospital offered the discount so I kindly stated, “That is OK I am self employed and do make a decent living, I just don’t make enough to pay for my own health Insurance anymore. I appreciate all that the hospital does for the community and am more than happy to cover the discounted rate.”

The reason I am a cash patient is because with my sharing program you have to have faith in your Christian community. There is no guarantee of payment. If the need for this month is higher than the amount shared by the members you are responsible for a portion of your bill. Thankfully that doesn’t happen to often. It happen 4 months ago so people were still responsible for like 10% of their bill, but hey that was still better than my 80/20 policy after I met the deductible.

That 75% discount was funded by other patients paying elevated costs to support you. That is one sweet deal.

Once again I disagree. As I stated in my original post the rates were already 3 times the BCBS allowable. Therefore, the 75% discount just took my bill down to the level of what the hospital would have been paid by BCBS, if I would have had insurance. No wait I still would have been a cash patient, that would have been paid by me as well because of my deductible. :eek:

I did nothing dishonest here as you would like to imply. I paid them the exact same amount that they would have received from BCBS. What difference does it make if my brothers in Christ are willing to help me out. This is a gift it is not insurance. I don’t get a government write off.

Maybe you should thinking about the cash patients that have to pay the unfair over inflated rates these doctors and hospitals charge. All of the fees in my office are within $5.00 of the BCBS allowable for my area.

On a final note, my payment to the hospital, at the 75% discount, was still 10 times what they get paid for a government supported medicaid program. Which was the only accomplishment of Obummer Care (putting more people on Medicaid).

So my question to you is, Who are these patients that were stuck paying the elevated costs to support me? :shrug:

On the surface no. I do have to send a link to my Church annually when I renew. The Church has to answer to the best of their knowledge if I go to Church at least 3 times a month, No sex outside of marriage, no excessive alcohol, no drugs. Basically does he live a Christian lifestyle.

I am sure someone could lie about these things if they choose to.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.