Catholic Book Recommendations for Non-Catholics

Its better to learn about Catholicism by reading about it from Catholics than from non-Catholics. Thus, I present the following link, a list of 10 books by Catholics on Catholicism for Non-Catholics to learn about the Faith. What books would you add?

squidoo.com/top-10-books-by-catholics-to-learn-about-the-catholic-faith

*Not entirely sure this is the correct forum for this, post.

Happy Advent!

John Salza’s book:

The Biblical Basis for the Catholic Faith

scripturecatholic.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=5&ccSID285e73f64c04744fc5f33ff68f529742=e5b8f714385404025dc0920b297be671

The Catechism of the Catholic Church.

Also:

Sources of Catholic Dogma (Denzinger)

Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma (Ott)

Upon this Rock by Steve Ray
Jesus, Peter and the Keys by Scott Butler & co.
Catholicism and Fundamentalism by Karl Keating
Theology for Beginners by Frank Sheed

I’d replace the history book the list recommends with

-Triumph: The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church: A 2,000 Year History, by H. W. Crocker III

This book is a little more engaging and a lighter read IMO.

And the list is missing a #3, so I’d put this one in there :

-The Last Superstition: A Refutation of the New Atheism, by Edward Feser

The last book would be if you’re really looking to root out any latent atheism you have, which is tough since you have to undo 400 years of atheistic philosophical thinking that has permeated society and led too many people to think that “faith” is really an irrational “leap in the dark”, when it’s not. The main point of the book is not to deal with the sophmoric yet unfortunately popular “new atheism”, although it does cover that.

Ohh thank you, going to go shopping for first on list tomorrow :thumbsup:

I really enjoyed “On Being Catholic” by Peter Kreeft IIRC.

It was a bit cerebral, but worth it.

I’ve heard that,* “There We Stood, Here We Stand”*speaks well to Lutherans who are considering swimming the Tiber.

Jon

It really depends on the background of the non-Catholic what to recommend. I would add:

• Catholicism for Dummies. Well written in the dummy format by two Priests.
  • US Catechism for Adults on Audio CD referenced in my signature. 20 hours on multiple CDs. Link is here. It’s rated 4 1/2 stars+ on Amazon.
  • on the Eucharist,* Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist* by Brandt Pitre. This books helps one understand why Jewish converts to Christianity so readily accepted the teaching of the Bread and Wine being turned into the Real Body and Blood of our Lord.
  • The St Ignatius bible. It’s the best $30 that you can spend both for the translation and for the commentary. It contains the NT only. The OT is under “construction” but can be viewed online why it is being developed for free.

PnP

The Catholic Way was recommended to me before I even converted to Orthodoxy. I still have it. It helped with some of the issues I had as a Protestant.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.