Catholic (?) Book Says Spiritual Resurrection Only

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the book: “The Relentless Widow: The Spiritual Wisdom of the Gospels for Christian Preachers and Teachers” by John Shea? (NOT MARK Shea).
I recently picked up the book at the local Archdiocese book store. It was published by Liturgical Press of Collegeville, MN; copyright by the Order of St. Benedict of Collegeville, MN. Each week there is a short reading on the Sunday Gospel. Most of it had been pretty good until this week. This week’s reading, regarding the gospel story of doubting Thomas, clearly and unequivocally states that the resurrection of Jesus was only a spiritual resurrection. For example, it claims that when contemplating the gospel reading, "Jesus came, although the doors were locked, and stood in their midst. . . " the book explains, “[H]e is not there physically because the doors were locked. He is in the midst of the disciples, emerging from within, as the communication of peace and the presence of joy.” The whole reading for the week similarly indicates that we are to understand the resurrection as a spiritual one, not as though Jesus was physically resurrected.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this book or author? Why would they sell such a book at the Archdiocese bookstore?:

I’m not familiar with John Shea. Needless to say, his intepretation of the post-resurrection appearances of Jesus is simply wrong, if he asserts that Jesus did not physically rise from the dead in his own body. If memory serves, Liturgical Press of Collegeville does tend to carry titles that might be considered somewhat theologically “liberal.”

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I think I’d take it back and ask for a refund. Or maybe I’d highlight that and send it to the Archbishop (and then ask for a refund.)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.