Catholic Book Study for Women

OK, this one's for all you ladies out there. My wife is wanting to start up a Catholic book study for women of our parish, and she wants to know if anyone on CAF has any suggestions. She's never done anything like this before, but figures some of you here have, and wanted some ideas on good books to check out. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Try The Return of the Prodigal Son by Henri Nouwen. Also, the follow-up to that book is called Home Tonight. Really, anything by Fr. Nouwen is great. Hope this helps.

Hmm I guess it depends on what kind of book study she is trying to start. I would always suggest Scott Hahn’s books (he doesn’t write novels), especially The Lamb’s Supper. I would also recommend anything by G.K. Chesterton. I really enjoyed Orthodoxy (this is not a novel but GKC did write some novels).

My husband and I read How Firm a Foundation a novel by Marcus Grodi together and discussed it. Its about the conversion of a protestant minister to Catholicism and his wife has a little story line in there too, along with a drama and things to make it interesting. It wasn’t bad, though never being protestant I always wonder if the protestants are being mis-characterized. :stuck_out_tongue: (I just read the authors bio, and he was once a protestant minister who became Catholic, so I guess he can’t be that far off. :D)

Interior Castle by St.Theresa of Avila and/or Entering the Castle which is a modern interpretation written by Carolyn Myss.... it's very good.

Scott Hahn's Hail Holy Queen and he has study guides on website for the book.
Couarageous Women-A Study on the Heroines of the Biblical Histiory by Stacy Mitch-It is really great.

Katrina Zeno has a book titled Every Woman's Journey.

Katrina J. Zeno, a freelance writer and speaker on topics such as the nature of men and women, singles and romance, the culture of life, the new feminism, prayer, and parenting, is also co-foundress of Women of the Third Millennium, an organization that promotes the dignity and vocation of women through one-day retreats. Her articles and interviews have appeared numerous periodicals, including Our Sunday Visitor, New Covenant magazine, Catholic Parent, and Franciscan Way, and she has spoken in the U.S., Canada, England, and Trinidad.

wttm.org/about.html

Great news! Katrina's well-loved book, Every Woman's Journey, has been republished by Pauline Book and Media under the title of Discovering the Feminine Genius: Every Woman's Journey. You can now purchase it directly from Pauline on their web site (www.Pauline.org) or from Amazon (www.amazon.com).

I have heard Katrina on Catholic radio and was inspired to get her book. I would love to attend a retreat or have her as a guest speaker sometime.

Please ask your DW to let us know what was chosen and report back on the experience.

God bless,
Mimi

What kind of books or subject is she wanting to start with or focus on?

I think some good discussion books might be The Women of Genesis series by Orson Scott Card. They're fiction and he's not Catholic though he is Christian (I'm pretty sure anyway), but it's a very interesting/good read. There's three books out now, and one coming. The first three are called Sarah, Rebekah, and Rachel and Leah. Course, one must remember they are fictional. :D

Or, a good one might be The Authentic Catholic Woman

Or Full of Grace: Women and the Abundant Life

Or Discovering the Feminine Genius

Or The Privilege Of Being A Woman

Lol, these are all one's I'd like to read too :D :p Again, I don't know what she wants to aim at, but if it's in the direction of "being a Catholic woman" or something, these may be good.

If she's aiming towards more theological oriented subjects, I'm sure the catholic shop tab would have lots too, but you probably don't really need me to fill up any more space with links! :thumbsup:

For women? Kimberly Hahn. Start with Chosen and Cherished. It's great for Bible studies because you can get the DVDs and they have discussion questions for each section.

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.