Catholic books to read

I like the Pauline Press edition, with a short reflection at the end of each chapter.

1 Like

If anyone wants to achieve “the best version of him/herself”, I strongly advise them to get away from books that promote that idea, and find the path that Jesus teaches:

• the path of self-denial in obedience to Him,
  • the path of self-gift in the truth of love,
  • the path of self-sacrifice in imitation of Christ who died for us,
  • the path of the Cross, for His name’s sake.

Christ does not teach the goal of self-fulfillment, self-improvement, self-obsession. It is not “all about me.” It is about God. In Him, a human person can finally find himself. Seek Him, forget about yourself. You will find happiness in Truth.

Mat 16:24 Then Jesus told his disciples, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.
Mat 16:25 For whoever would save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

Think about it. Pray about it.

1 Like

I think this book is going to prove to be a life-changer for me .

2 Likes

calvine%20and%20hobbes

“Treatise on mystical and ascetical theology according to the writings of Calvin Schneider and Johnathon Hobbes” (forward by JamaalChristophr)

1 Like

Any book of Gaitley’s is amazing. I had the pleasure of meeting him in person a couple years ago, went to a mass of his and a talk of his and then got a personal blessing afterwards and talked with him for a bit. Very holy priest

1 Like

I highly recommend the following books:

The Catholic Church and the Counter-Faith: A study of the Roots of Modern Secularism, Relativism and de-Christianization by Philip Trower

The Unintended Reformation: How a Religious Revolution Secularized Society by Brad S. Gregory

The New Anti-Catholicism: The Last Acceptable Prejudice by Philip Jenkins

Making Sense of Suffering by Peter Kreeft

The Genesis Flood by John C. Whitcomb, Jr and Henry Morris (not exactly Catholic, but provides an abundance of scientific evidence for the truth of the Bible)

Libido Dominandi Sexual Liberation & Political Control by E. Michael Jones

1 Like

I was about to purchase it last night but held off. Should have done it!

1 Like

1 Like

That’s on my reading list – it seems like if you ask seven different Catholics what Vatican II said, you’ll get seven answers. I think the only way to get a trustworthy view of it is to read the documents.

2 Likes

You can’t go wrong with writings by the Doctors of the Church. They are Doctors because their works have contributed so much of the development of Church doctrine. But their writings are deep and can be hard to understand.

With the sound guidance and direction of a priest from our Archdiocese, I’ve written notes to help guide others through some of the works of St Teresa of Avila, St John of the Cross, and St Augustine. You can find these notes, available for no charge, here:

Hey friends! So I ordered a bunch of books! I’m so excited- it will come soon and I’m so happy about it.
Can’t wait to read them! And you guys, feel free to keep posting books for each other, too- and after I read the books I’ve ordered, I’ll pick some in this thread that I haven’t ordered!

Thank you guys a ton!
Michelle

2 Likes

An excellent book , especially for learning about Biblical apocalyptic literature .

‘Characters of the Reformation’ by Hilaire Belloc.

If all you know about the Reformation you learned in public school, you need Belloc’s short history books of the event that shaped the modern world.

https://abbeyshop.ampleforth.org.uk/god-is-not-angry-by-ian-petit-325-p.asp

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.