Catholic books to read

Quite a collection here, including some already mentioned…

http://www.saintsbooks.net/BooksList.html

0 Likes

I was going to mention both of these, but I didn’t want to give too many suggestions all in one post. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Or Introduction To the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales.

2 Likes

Do you know how many pages that is by any chance?
The treatise is very long indeed, probably six months of reading!

0 Likes

You’re a brilliant guy, Joe! due to a very short attention span, I am far better off with wisdom in daily morsels. So, these are more suited to me. I have a shelf of partially read books, so day-by-day is just better for me. For example, I have not even finished reading the title of the Summa Theologica…

3 Likes

1 Like

The paperback I have goes to 245 pages. I got the one with the preface by Archbishop Edward Egan.

1 Like

Fr Christopher Jamieson’s books are well worth reading (he’s a very good speaker too). I’d also add anything by Thomas Merton (start with The Seven Story Mountain) or Ronald Knox.

0 Likes

I think I will also mention the works of Fr Frederick Faber, who not only wrote a number of hymns, but a number of books. I love his hymns and have dipped into his books.

He wrote about the dangers of letter-writing, as it is so easy to shade the truth to make the recounting of events in one’s life a little more… funny, important, touching, etc.

And now we have FB …

1 Like

Any book by Fr Raniero Cantalamessa , Preacher to the Papal Household , chosen by Pope John Paul II , and retained by Pope Benedict and Pope Francis .

https://www.google.com/search?q=books+by+raniero+cantalamessa&oq=books+by+raniero+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0.16161j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

1 Like

Summa Theologica was included in my philosophy class. I am an English major, so we study history and philosophy as part of our degree.

Most of my friends were confused because they were not Catholic. So I remember that I described most of the information to my classmates and told them about the Catholic faith. It’s a bit long, but a brilliant read!

Pax Christi!

1 Like

Thanks friends! Now it’s time to go to library to pick up the books… but I just hope that there will be books.

I live in South Korea and religious books are not really available in our country. I read many books (or compilation of his letters, etc.) in Korean as I speak Korean fluently, along with fluent English. So I might buy some books online instead.

I felt many feelings of desolations because the resources in this country are lesser than other regions, especially North America. I studied in Canada for 10 years and I was always able to find books in my university’s library. My main language is English so this causes more problems in S. Korea.

I am very excited! Thank you all.
Pax Christi!

1 Like

Dynamic Catholic has many good religious books, and plenty are free you just have to pay shipping per book. So it’s like $5.99 a book

I’ve gotten a handful of books from them, I recommend checking it out if you want cheap, quality Catholic books :slightly_smiling_face:

0 Likes

0 Likes

Poem of Man God by Maria Valthortha.

0 Likes

Does anybody have a recommendation for a fairly modern book on the history of the Church?

0 Likes

How in depth are you wanting to go? Alan Schreck’s Compact History of the Catholic Church is nice, but it is quite brief.

I actually like the Didache series textbook on Church history a lot. It’s a bit pricey, but quite comprehensive.

0 Likes

In-depth but not academic.

0 Likes

I’d still recommend the Didache textbook. It is a textbook, but it is a high school textbook. So I think it does fit in the category of being substantial, but not overly academic.

Fr. John Laux has a Church History book that goes to present day, where “present day” is 1940. So it’s good for everything but the last 80 years.

Now that I check my bookshelf, I see another good one might be James Hitchcock’s History of the Catholic Church. I haven’t read it yet, but it’s from 2012, published by Ignatius Press, and is over 500 pages. So I would venture to guess this might fit well with what you’re looking for.

2 Likes

Much appreciated!

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.