Catholic Books

Hey Everyone I love to Challenge my knowledge in the Catholic Faith Can Anyone Give me some really Good Books on our Faith? I love to read. And where can I find these books?

You can try the bookstore here at Catholic.com.

Or the one at EWTN.com.

Or the good folks over at TanBooks.com.
:o

Thanks for the quick response:) I will check out those websites are there any books you have read that have helped you in learning the faith?

The Evidential Power of Beauty: Science and Theology Meet
(ISBN:978-0898707526)

Fire Within: St. Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, and the Gospel-On Prayer
(ISBN:978-0898702637)

An Exorcist Tells His Story
(ISBN:978-0898707106)

1. Catholic and Christian by Alan Schreck
  2. Theology and Sanity by Frank Sheed

The book that really deepened my Catholic faith was the Bible, before I read anything else! Other than that:

Catholic & Christian by Alan Schreck
Nuts & Bolts by Tim Staples
Catholicism & Fundamentalism by Karl Keating
The Catechism of the Catholic Church is also invaluable

Mostly I learned a lot of my faith from listening to the Catholic Answers radio archives, especially the Open Forum Q&A’s. Last I heard they were not functioning though prior to April 08. :frowning: But hopefully it will be fixed soon!

Hey Marco, Thanks again Yeah I have been reading the Bible more infact I am doing a Bible study by scott han right now that is really intersting on st. paul, I will check out some of those other books soon do you think a regular library woud carry them?

Hello,

Some books that definitely helped me learn more about the faith:

Jesus of Nazareth by Our Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI – which really does an excellent job exploring the multiple dimensions of Christ’s ministry. I really can’t recommend this book enough. If it’s the only book you ever read about Our Lord and the faith, you couldn’t go wrong.
Mary: The Church At Its Source by Our Holy Father writing as Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger – which really offers an excellent understanding of how both Mary and the Church are Our Mothers.
The Hidden Manna: A Theology of the Eucharist by Fr. James T. O’Connor – which explains the historical understanding of the Eucharist
7 Secrets of the Eucharist by Vinny Flynn – which offers some valuable insight into this most precious of Sacraments!

If you’re interested in learning about the history of the Church and the faith then I would recommend Paul Johnson’s A History of Christianity.

You could always call them. The Schreck and Keating books are probably more well known. The Nuts & Bolts is a shorter, easy read covering some roots of the faith, but probably less well known. You know what else is a short handy “apologetic” little book is Pillar of Fire here from Catholic Answers. Listed for $1 !

I got this one for Christmas and am enjoying and learning much from it:

The Fulfillment of All Desire:
A Guidebook for the Journey to God Based on the Wisdom of the Saints
by Ralph Martin

This book explains the spiritual journey from conversion to the highest levels of union with God. I haven’t been able to put it down for long!

I love Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic by David Currie.

i am reading search & rescue by patrick madrid - and the essence of his book is to become a well read and versed catholic. he has a lot of book recommendations within this book. (some that have already been mentioned above)

Hi Faustina :wave: I recommend Ignatius Press. They have a wide selection of Catholic books and films. I’m always very happy with anything we get from them. God bless and Happy New Year :snowing: (I would read anything written by Father Benedict Groeschel. Fr. Groeschel has a way of speaking to the “common man”. He’s great! :smiley: )

ignatius.com/index.aspx

The CCC is a must read! Anything by Sheed is great. The Navarre Bible Series is wonderful (and the notes are very insightful). I, personally like books about St. Therese, also most anything I can find on the BVM. For fiction, O’Brien’s books are topnotch.

Great book!

This is from a brochure; it lists good Catholic books and more and where to get them.

Books for kids.

Hey thanks everyone I will have enough books for a week or two.:slight_smile: lol I am very excited to start reading you all have given me awesome suggestions thanks. Faustina

Watching EWTN and listening to your Catholic radio station, esp. CA radio Q&A are probably not near as overwhelming and really, really helpful.

Ahh… thought you would never ask. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

My favorite books for logical/intellectual reasons for faith!!
The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel, written by a former atheist, Chicago Tribune Legal editor, and Yale Law gradaute

My favorite books for developing an intense, passionate, ardent spirituality:
Diary of St. Mary Faustina: Divine Mercy in My Soul saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS1.shtml
True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin (by St. Louis Mary de Montfort) fisheaters.com/totalconsecrationmontfort.html
Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus
en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#FIRST_POINT._.E2.80.94_The_ardent_desire_Jesus_Christ_feels_to_be_with_us. (by St. Margaret Mary Alacoque)
Secret of the Rosary (by St. Louis Mary de Montfort) montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html
The Love of Eternal Wisdom ewtn.com/library/Montfort/lew.htm (by St. Louis Mary de Montfort)
On the Dolors of Marywriter.zoho.com/public/immaculate/Seven-dolors (by St. Alphonsus Mary de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church)

My upcoming reading list for Christian mysticism:
Autobiography of St. Therese of Liseux The Story of a Soul gutenberg.org/etext/16772
The Teaching of St. Therese of Liseux on Purgatory: catholic.com/library/Proving_Inspiration.asp
Ascent of Mount Carmel by St. John of the Cross: ccel.org/ccel/john_cross/ascent.ii.vii.html
Dark Night of the Soul by St. John of the Cross: ccel.org/ccel/john_cross/dark_night.html
Spiritual Canticle: karmel.at/ics/john/cn.html by St. John of the Cross
The Living Flame of Love: karmel.at/ics/john/fl.html by St. John of the Cross
The Life of St. Teresa of Avila: (another Autobiography) catholicfirst.com/TheFaith/CatholicClassics/StTeresa/life/teresaofavila.cfm
The Way of Perfection by St. Teresa of Avila catholicfirst.com/TheFaith/CatholicClassics/StTeresa/way/wayofperfection.cfm
Interior Castle by St. Teresa of Avila: sacred-texts.com/chr/tic/index.htm

Scriptural commentary:
** Commentary on Jonah: ** litteralchristianlibrary.wetpaint.com/page/Jonah+Chapter+3

Papal Writings:
Love Conqures All: vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/encyclicals/documents/hf_ben-xvi_enc_20051225_deus-caritas-est_en.html
Spe Salvi: On hope: vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/encyclicals/documents/hf_ben-xvi_enc_20071130_spe-salvi_en.html
On the Christian Meaning of Suffering
vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_11021984_salvifici-doloris_en.html

St. Josephine Bakhita, St. Louis Mary de Montfort, St. Maximilian Maria, St. Alphonsus Mary de Liguori, St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, St. Mary Faustina, St. Therese of Liseux, St. John of the Cross, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Francis of Assisi, St. Dominic, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, St. Padre Pio, Archangel Gabriel, Archangel Raphael, Archangel Michael, pray to the Mother of the Word for us!!

May the Holy Spirit through the Mother of the Word grace us with the gifts that we most depserately need, particularly an abundance of love, mercy, discernment, patience and perseverance!! May the LOVE and MERCY of the Sacred Heart of Jesus be adored forever and shine into our hearts now and always!! May the WONDERS of the Mother of the Word come to our aid now and always!!

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!
Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

+J.M.J.+
Archbishop Sheen has a bunch of books out that are short but powerful reads.
The Cross and the Beatitudes
Seven Last Words
Seven Capital Sins
Seven Words of Jesus and Mary: Lessons on Cana and Calvary
Characters of the Passion: Lessons on Faith and Trust

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.