catholic books

Hello,
I was hoping someone could clarify this for me. What is the difference between the missal, the lectionary, the book of the Gospel and the liturgy of the hours. Does the roman daily missal contain all the readings from the missal and the lectionary or is the lectionary a compleatly different book? Thank you for your help.
~Aaron

The Missal is the book used to celebrate the Mass. It has all Mass prayers and parts in it for the priest, deacon, and congregation. The full name is the General Instruction of the Roman Missal (you’ll see it abbreviated GIRM on here).

The Lectionary is the book that all the Mass readings are in, which are on a 3 year rotation (they repeat every 3 years). I don’t know off the top of my head if the Psalm is included in it, but I think it might be.

The book of the Gospels is just that–it contains only the Gospel readings used at the Masses throughout the year. Those readings are also, I believe, on a 3 year rotation.

The Liturgy of the Hours (you’ll see it abbreviated LOTH on here) is a set of prayers for different times of the day. It can be prayed by any Catholic, priest or laity.

Different books have different stuff in them. The Magnificat has the full text of the Mass, readings for all daily Masses, saints of the day, meditations, etc. It also has prayers for the morning and evening, which I believe are from the LOTH, but I could be wrong.

Hope this helps!

Some corrections: The Missal is not synonymous with the General Instructions of the Roman Missal. The GIRM are part of the Roman Missal. The GIRM are the rubrics that the priest is to follow when celebrating Mass. It is part of the Roman Missal.

There are two lectionaries. The Sunday Lectionary covers Sunday and solemnities. It runs on a three-year cycle (A, B, C). Then there is one for weekdays and feasts/memorials/optional memorials; the weekday lectionary follows a two-year cycle of readings (I and II). The Book of the Gospels contains the Gospel readings for years A, B and C.

Then there are other specialized supplements to the Missal such as the Order of Christian Burial, Directory of Masses for Children, etc.

Thank you for your responces, that was very helpful. One more question though. Is the daily roman missal the same as the regular Roman missal? Or does it contain the readings from the lectionary in it also?

Let me correct myself. My writing was a bit inexact. The Sunday lectionary has three one-year cycles (A, B, C) while the daily lectionary runs in two one-year cycles (I and II).

The daily Missal for personnel use contains the readings for the day and all feast days as well as the order of the Mass and is usually published in several volumes.

Does anyone know how much of the bible is covered in the daily roman missal? As in how much is covered in the full cycle of Sunday and daily ( A, B, C and 1, 2)

The Daily Roman Missal for personal use has the Mass readings for everyday of the week including Sundays. There is also a Sunday Missal (for personal use) that is usually smaller and less expensive than the Daily Missal, and it just has the 3 year cycle of Sunday readings. You can also buy a yearly paperback Sunday Missal (for less than $2) at Catholic Book Publishing Co. that just has the Sunday Readings for that Church year (you buy a new one each year).

I seem to remember a figure of 75 percent (not sure) if you count the 3 year Sunday Lectionary and the 2 year cycle of Weekday readings (incl. feast days). May be someone else has a source, I can’t remember where I got that figure.

Ok, that number may be off. According to www.catholic-resources.org the combined Lectionary (Sunday and weekdays) uses: 90% of the Gospels, 55% of the rest of the N.T, and slightly more than 13% of the O.T.

Which is about 50 times more than the average “Bible believing” Protestant church does in decade. I once heard a former Baptist preacher on the Journey Home say that they recycle a lot of sermons and readings.

Agreed!

In addition to the readings a good deal of the Mass is biblical

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.