Catholic but doesn't believe in purgatory?

I’m stressed and depressed. I was talking to a lady from my church who I’d been thinking would make a good sponser and told her the whole tragic tale of Thomas which boils down to: 1)My husband died, 2)We were both atheists at the time, 3)This was a real obstacle for me in conversion. She asked me a few questions like was he baptised? I think so in a protestant church, as a child. Was he saved? Before he was baptised he thought he’d had that experience (I think) Then she said she didn’t believe in purgatory, he was in Heaven with God and she gets ‘spiritual lessons’ from many places. (???) Before we ended the conversation she asked me to pray for her two children, she was worried they would die outside the church. (???) Sorry for this terrible post but I’m so confused right now, on so many levels I don’t know what to think. Help Catholics, help. 1)I pray a lot for the suffering souls and pray that Thomas is among them. 2)Why would she be worried about her own children if Thomas is with God? 3)She’s not sponser material. :mad::confused::frowning:

Purgatory is part of what Catholics believe. Here is what Pope John Paul II wrote:

ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/JP2HEAVN.HTM#Purgatory

I hope this helps. God bless you.

If this lady doesn’t believe in Purgatory, she is definitely not sponsor material. But more than that, she probably doesn’t understand the purpose of Purgatory, and is simply confused. Be patient, the right sponsor will be there for you eventually.

For devotional information on the holy souls, check out Holy Souls Online Thank you so much for praying for them.

Do pray for the conversion of this lady’s children. Don’t be depressed. You’ll find many Catholics simply do not understand Purgatory at all. When I was going through my own conversion, I was told the church stopped teaching on the doctrine of Purgatory. That sure didn’t make sense considering we still celebrate All Soul’s day!

Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son Jesus, in union with the masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen.

I don’t know enough about Fatima, I use some prayers Our Lady gave us at Fatima, though. I’ll have to learn more about it now.
Thank you guys for the links. They were a big help! I appreciate your comments, I was very bumfuzzled when I posted but I feel SOOO much better now. That’s what a VIgil Mass will do for ya! Again thanks a lot, Love and God Bless You—KimBoLee:):D:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.