Catholic Care loses its 5 year legal battle

The adoption agency Catholic Care has lost its five year fight to reserve its services for heterosexual couples only, in a landmark court ruling.

The adoption agency based in Leeds, had taken its case to the Upper Tribunal in order to win the right to maintain charitable status while being permitted to refuse to place children with same-sex couples, in accordance with the charity’s Catholic ethos.

However, they were defeated today as the Charity Commission argued that the charity’s stance is “divisive, capricious and arbitrary” and undermined the dignity of homosexual couples whose parenting abilities are “beyond question”.

The tribunal concluded that Catholic Care had failed to come up with “weighty and convincing reasons” as to why the agency should be allowed to discriminate against gay couples who were trying to access their services.

Emma Dixon, who was representing the Charity Commission, told tribunal judge, Mr Justic Sales, that Catholic Care’s desried arrangement would violate Article 14 of the European Convention on Human Rights, which outlaws discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation and other characteristics. She said: “A requirement to operate within the tenets of the Church cannot constitute Article 14 justification.

“To do so would be to offer protection to the substance of the Church’s belief that homosexuality is sinful.

“To do so would not only be divisive, capricious and arbitrary, it would be excluding from assessment couples whose personal qualities and aptitude for child-rearing are beyond question.”

She added: “There is, as the charity now accepts, no basis whatsoever for calling into question the skills and abilities of same-sex couples as adoptive parents, including as parents of ‘hard to place’ children…it is not necessary to exclude same-sex couples in order to find suitable and loving adoptive parents for children.

“Indeed, the reverse is true. To excluse from assessment same-sex couple’s whose personal qualities and aptitude for child rearing are beyond question would be to allow considerations favouring marriage to prevail over the best interests of the chlid, which would be neither objectively justified nor proportionate.”

But Monica Carss-Frisk QC, who represented Catholic Care, argued that the Commission’s focus put the needs of children second and said it was “tantamount to putting the interests of the helper before those of the helpless.”

catholicherald.co.uk/news/2012/11/02/catholic-care-loses-its-5-year-legal-battle/

The world is sliping into darkness. Christianity is under world wide attack. God help us.
Soon they will be rounding us up. :shrug:

To excluse from assessment same-sex couple’s whose personal qualities and aptitude for child rearing are beyond question would be to allow considerations favouring marriage to prevail over the best interests of the chlid, which would be neither objectively justified nor proportionate.”

What does this mean that they are ‘beyond question’?

Does this mean that if a couple is homosexual, they will not be investigated or assessed at all?

Do they not understand that it is in the best interests of the child that they have adoptive parents of opposite sexes, as their actual parents were?

:frowning: so sad

Sadder still as this is the result of an “own goal” because Catholics play politics rather than standing ground on what we believe.

Very sad, but not at all surprising. So much trampled underfoot in the stampede towards “tolerance”. They make such a big deal about finding worthy parents for adoptive children, yet want to take away the rights of anyone to apply moral standards in the search. What exactly is the criteria meant to be? “Has a job”? “No offensive body odour”? It all becomes so arbitrary. If you can’t factor in a person’s home life in vetting prospective parents I don’t know what you can do. Oh wait, I know–just pretend that all lifestyle choices are equal! :doh2:

In seriousness, this is what worries me most about the gay rights crusade. Homosexuals have the right to live their lives in any way they choose, as we all do. To persecute someone just for being gay is wrong. But forced acceptance is another thing entirely. The freedom of conscience is being taken away, bit by bit. No one is forcing gay couples to go to Catholic adoption agencies, they could go elsewhere. But instead of accepting that the Catholic Church’s views are incompatible with their lifestyle they seek to have them shut down. I pray that gay marriage doesn’t become law in the UK, but if it does I have no faith at all in the government’s ability (or desire) to protect the views of those who think otherwise. :frowning:

ETA: I didn’t realise Catholic Care was the last Catholic adoption agency in England. Now that is sad.

Cabrini Children’s Society remains under the umbrella of several Dioceses in England. An annual diocesan collection is still taken up for Cabrini Children’s Society. One can query whether they operate on the basis of Catholic ethos given that they no longer have clergy trustees and cooperate with local authorities on broad government legislation.

From their website on adoption services:

We welcome people of all ages, cultures and faiths. You could be single or a couple, in a same sex or heterosexual relationship.
cabrini.org.uk/cabrini__adoption.htm

The case of Catholic Care was bound to fail from the onset because Catholic leaders over here do not sing from the same hymn sheet.

Why are some of you so sad? I say rejoice! :slight_smile:

I recall Jesus’ words to Pontius Pilate - “You would have no power over me unless it had been given you from above” (John 19:11)

“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:10)

“But rejoice in so far as you share Christ’s sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed.” (1 Peter 4:13)

Catholic family agency in my diocese was cooperating with this evil 4 years ago…no mandate in place at the time.
Sorry to report this but readers of this thread ought to understand the division among us stems back before the current law.

I am beginning to really think so. OTOH, I would imagine that that would be a sign of our Lord’s Second Coming, so…:wink:

I’m not sure I agree with this. Are they saying that homes where a single parent or several siblings exist can’t be adoptive?

Freedom of religion, void where prohibited by law.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=727345

Does this mean that if a couple is homosexual, they will not be investigated or assessed at all?

No…but it means the criteria used are so insane that all bets are off as to what the environment actually may be.

Some Catholic social services need to move and operate, to the extent possible, within countries which still permit religious freedom. This means that people who live where Catholicism is not allowed to operate within its moral guidelines, to not receive that charity, at least legally. I have no problem with violating immoral laws.

Exactly.

Believe it or not, it started at least 40 years ago. Granted, the separation has grown steadily and become more extreme, but the dreaded “relativism” started into high gear right after
Vat ll. It has just become increasingly pronounced as the years have gone on. I have heard it said from some of our Catholic brethren that our “fundamentalism” is dark ages thinking. Where I can, I reply that no, it is authentic Catholic teaching, please refer to the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.