Catholic Charismatic Movement

I would like to hear the experiences people have had with this movement, good and not so good. Thankyou.

Firstly I am not a person to report as such, however in the pros and cons from my point I would start with the pros.

I yearned for more than I was getting from the mass and prayers I had. I prayed for more and God heard my prayers a cousin asked me to join him in a prayer group.
I agreed found it to be so up lifting free prayer singing. And then this group became strangers in their own house they started speaking other languages??? I had a vision!! when I left I asked my cousin what was happening, he told me they were speaking in toungs, and God gave me a vision. Funny I understood what it ment.

The group had a leader who kept all things in line and catholic. God became not only Jesus and the Father but tri union, we related to the Holy Spirit as equal to all of God. They taught with authority. I heard God speak through them, there ws much power.
Nowhere did any person move from the Catholic faith. They all seemed to have fallen in love with the church deeper and were praising God lifting the priests nuns religious Pope and all congregations.
There were miracle’s happening people set free, arms limbs healed, even lengthened. They gave more deeply to helping the families around gave money at will food at will to other families.

The bible became their focus reading songs of praise catholic and others became their every day songs. Teaching healing proclaiming the faith the Eucharist, the Mass was much deeper as if i was transformed.

Cons
A few thought that they heard God tell them to leave the church and, others would not follow instruction of the Catholic faith any longer, but wanted to take over the leadership.
But nothing ever happened to them in the church.

Well that’s it
Godbless.

Do you know if the people who thought of leaving received confirmations thru other people ? During the meeting from last night that I attended, someone would share visions and prophecies and a verse of scripture. Someone else would maybe get excited and say the other person confirmed something for them.

Try to keep a level head when hearing such things.

Humility goes a long way when being involved in the Charismatic Movement. Not every claim of gifts or supernatural experiences are real, but have more to do with people stroking their spiritual egos.

Jim

Yes, I agree. My interest in learning was sparked this weekend when I attended a charismatic conference. I thought I understood the movement correctly but now I’m not so sure. Thats why I wanted to hear from people. Thankyou for responding.

If you keep in mind that the charisms of the Holy Spirit are given to build up the Church, and Tongues are the least of the gifts (but still a gift, nonetheless) you should have nothing to fear, because you will properly understand how to use the gifts you have been given. Pray for the higher gifts, so that you may be able to serve God in His Church better, and do not be carried away by emotionalism, but keep yourself open to the Holy Spirit.

I have been involved more or less in the Charismatic Renewal since 1981, not so much now as in the past, but I have never received the gift of tongues, and it is not that important to me. The Holy Spirit gifts us as He sees fit. The people I hang around with that are involved are great workers in the Church, and use their gifts to build up the Church. They quietly go about their business, and have a deep love of God. Their encounter with the Holy Spirit transformed their lives, as it did mine.

Most of the Catholic Charismatic prayer meetings, conferences, etc., that I have been to are much more orderly than the Pentecostal ones I’ve been to, (which I no longer attend), but that is not always the case, a lot depends on the leadership. I have been fortunate enough, for the most part, to be in places where Priests and Deacons have been in leadership roles, and have heard excellent teachings, and have not allowed things to get out of control, keeping the focus on the Lord.

Despite the nay-sayers, I firmly believe that the charismatic gifts of the Holy Spirit are meant for all times and ages, not just the Early Church, because we have always had teachers, prophets, healers, etc. in the Church, so why would we not have tongues, interpretation of tongues, etc.? Why would the Holy Spirit continue to give some of His gifts, and not the others? And right now, we need an outpouring of the Holy Spirit more than ever, because the faith and love of so many has grown cold.

Anyway, that is my experience, but this is a very controversial subject, as I’m sure you know.

***There is no problem with a person getting a prophecy or being told to tell some person a word of knowledge. There could however be a problem if there is NO true or strong leader who has been given the gift to lead. (read James 3:5) Discern discern discern at all times allow God to lead, always be readyto serve, having little to speak but some to share led from biblical readings. ***

Below is a good point from CB catholic, (thanks).
If you keep in mind that the chrisms of the Holy Spirit are given to build up the Church, and Tongues are the least of the gifts (but still a gift, nonetheless) you should have nothing to fear, because you will properly understand how to use the gifts you have been given. Pray for the higher gifts, so that you may be able to serve God in His Church better, and do not be carried away by emotionalism, but keep yourself open to the Holy Spirit.

Many are carried away from the truth by hidden ad genders, such as the want to be liked or accepted or even trying to be seen as a leader.
Humility is always the way of sainthood, We serve God only by being led by God for He does not need our interference but He does want our availability to serve.

Don’t be turned on by any false desire to become a mystic but learn to more so understand the simple life of meditation upon the love of Jesus towards others.
Hope this helps.

Godbless.

I don’t know, but the Charismatic Moment… is one of the thing that made me more Catholic than ever. I learn so much, my life has change since i join the group prayer. I love, at first i could understand and i was kind of shy. Now is totally different, I also receive spiritual gift like speaking other languages. I Thanks GOD for this the Charismatic Moment.

God Bless you… I hope i see you in one of the group prayer!:thumbsup:

I am pleased to hear how your life changed by the Holy Spirit and that you have been given a gift to strengthen you. There are many gifts and also there are many deceptions, from satan using other people especially from your own church saying you are wrong but don’t worry however from other churches be aware and donot follow their deception if they tell you to leave the church. Remember god has much work in our own churches, for those lead by the Holy Spirit and always try and be under the guidence of a leader who should also be under the guidence of the priest.
Discern ALL by the bible, questioning others who try to point you on the way, ask them to show you in the bible at all times as a reference, and then put all things to God.

remember God tells us to “be still and know He is God” Read the books about the Holy Spirit, the Saints, The Bible, Pray, say the rosary, help others where possible. Live humbly Donot put on eirs, read about St Therese “little way” live simplly.
Godbless

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.