Catholic Christmas Cards

I know, I know :o It’s not even All Soul’s day and here I am posting about Christmas.

But I just received the Christmas Card preview catalogue from DaySpring and fell in love with this set.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-93128105900816_1966_15387026 http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-93128105900816_1966_15435671

I’d never seen anything like it before and think it may be time to get this image out there. What do you guys think?

Those are wonderful! I think I have just decided what I am sending out this year. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Our Wal-Mart has some awsome Catholic type Christmas cards. In fact there is a set with the Song Of The Angels on the front. :thumbsup:

They also have large Christmas cards that you can set out in your front yard. Again there is a set with Song Of The Angels on it. I so love this picture! :love:

Explore Shelie Boyd

These are so pretty!

Sabda, I do the best that I can to not shop at Walmart. Can you find out the name of the publisher for that card set? I could then Google it to see what other stores carry it. If I can find them in a Catholic or Christian store I’m willing to pay higher prices to support those businesses.

As for the picture, yes, it is lovely!

Am I the only one who has problems with the paintings of the nativity showing a huge, chubby very anglo looking baby Jesus, though? I’ve often wondered if the artist chose to depict the baby that way for emphasis, because considering the country of origin and the fact that Mary was travelling on a donkey quite a distance leading up to the birth, I would have expected a thinner child with at least dark hair.

I confess I take how baby Jesus appears in selecting Christmas cards withHim on it. I go out of my way to find the ones with a curly haired, thinner baby who doesn’t take up Mary’s entire torso area (that just looks so disproporionate to me).

Am I the only one who has problems with the paintings of the nativity showing a huge, chubby very anglo looking baby Jesus(rosey cheeks, snow white skin, lots of folds around the legs/arms, chubby cheeks, clear blue eyes)? I’ve often wondered if the artist chose to depict the baby that way for emphasis, because considering the country of origin and the fact that Mary was travelling on a donkey quite a distance leading up to the birth, I would have expected a thinner child and certainly not looking like 9 months old on her lap. :blush:

The one in your picture is ok because there’s no indication where or when Mary was holding Jesus in her lap with angels around. That easily could have been 9-10 months after he was born, but then why is he still in a diaper? I would have thought he’d be in a little tunic by then, but hey, what do I know? The picture is absolutely enthralling as is.

I will go check but it will probably be a few days before I get back over there. :slight_smile:

This is one of my favorite Christmas cards to send out! I have purchased them from Leaflet Missal Co. at : www.leafletonline.com 25 cardsfor $10.95, and I believe I have bought them from EWTN’s catalogue on line, too. When you go to leafletonline, go to christmas, then cards, & they are shown about page 10. I can’t link it, sorry.:shrug:

I sent these exact cards last year! I loved them because they are simple and say it all in just a few words! Everyone I sent them to said they were quite thought-provoking.

Beautiful!! I’m going to go buy these cards RIGHT NOW!! Thanks YinYangMom!!

Ooooo…I haven’t even started thinking about Christmas cards yet! I’m in alot of card exchanges through the internet groups I’m a member of (yeah, I’m an introvert :wink: ) plus offline friends, family, neighbors, etc. I would love to send out a very Catholic message this year instead of going for a more “Seasons Greetings” sort of route.

And that picture…Song of Angels…if they have that in a large greeting card for the yard at my Wally World I might have to pick it up to put on the wall! I love the tree, the presents, the food, the music and entertainment specials, but I think it’s important we keep reminding ourselves what Christmas is truly about while we enjoy the more secular aspects. A few years ago we started placing a golden, bejeweled cross near the top of the tree, just as a little reminder.

Eeek, I sure do drift, don’t I? :wink:

It may depend on when it was painted. I’ve seen Renaissance paintings of Mary where she is blond, fair skinned, well dressed, etc. This is not a statement on Mary’s actual appearance, it was a comment on the purity of her soul and life using the accepted artistic shorthand of the day. (Similar thing in a Renaissance wedding portrait, where the Italian bride is pale, blond, high forehead, etc. … to signify her piety, chastity, generous nature, etc.) (As a brunette, I always hated my mom’s blond, willowy Mary statue and the implication, even in art, that blond and thin is better.)

Plus, if it’s painted much more than fifty years ago or so, Mary and Jesus probably look like Europeans because it usually didn’t occur to the artist to paint them as anything else. Realism (skinny baby, shabby clothes, less-than-ideal surroundings) is not really the goal.

And then there are the modern paintings that show the Holy Family as being distinctly African, complete with Kente cloth.

Part of the purpose of the art may be to help us identify with this cute, chubby baby… and then juxtapose that with what we know is coming on Good Friday. We tend to identify best with people who look like our family.

To some extent, I don’t think this is a problem; remember that Mary has not appeared physically identical in all of her apparitions. To Bl. Juan Diego, she looked like an Aztec; to St. Bernadette, she looked more European. I have two different versions of Our Lady of China on my fridge, plus an eskimo Madonna from a diocese in Alaska. The Basilica of the Annunciation in Israel includes many images of Mary, including one from Japan where she and Jesus have Japanese features and dress (Mary has solid pearl sleeves; I just loved that image). And then there’s the image of Christ in judgement at the National Shrine in D.C.; painted by a holocaust survivor who became Catholic, Jesus is blond and blue-eyed, because that’s how the artist felt inspired to depict him.

Now, when people assume or try to insist that Jesus really was blond and blue-eyed, that does annoy me; I’m totally with you there.

This is just gorgeous!

They are very nice cards! I get cards from a pro-life
organization that makes beautiful cards and includes a pro-life
message in their cards.

www.hh76.com

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.