Catholic Church founded by Jesus?

Thats right. It becomes His body. We differ on the how.

What is there to leave out? It was your post. There about 22 more early father quotes you could post. They are in the basket, along with my post, (that you " left out")? None refute figurative speech.

@Wannano
Didn’t mean to imply that you were offensive but magic has no place in the Catholic Church or any Christian church that I know of. It just was read by me the wrong way. Maybe process would have been a better word.

“One does not get direct answers most of the time anyway.”
Don’t mean to be indirect either. Just difficult to explain to a person who hasn’t been a cradle to grave Catholic their whole life. I get too deep sometimes and it doesn’t have to be too deep. Ask anyway and we will TRY to help.

But isn’t the ‘figurative language’ a way of saying ‘the accidents remain’?

Both/and’ as opposed to ‘either/or’

1 Like

Jesus held Himself “figuratively” in His hands. :roll_eyes:

No. We differ on the whether it is His Body or not.

Then I will pose the same question I posed to McQ72…
By what authority do you know when scripture is figurative or literal. From a Tradition or from self interpretation?

Patrick Madrid shows an example of interpretation e.g.:
“I never said you stole money” - this phrase can be interpreted in at least 5 ways.

So without an authority, how do you know you are interpreting correctly? There is only one TRUTH, so why all the different interpretations?

Peace to All

(Solid imoji face usage. Well done. :clap:)

From Catholic Answers on the subject of predestination:

"The Catholic Church permits a range of views on the subject of predestination…,

Even in the Catholic Church, personal (studied presumably) interpretation is permitted. The question of course is always where the sidelines are drawn.

I don’t think so. As Radical once posted on CAF, “If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck”.

No stranger than saying He ate Himself.

1 Like

Again we differ on how it is His body.

Regardless of how weirded out you are, Augustine said “He held Himself in His Hands.” To say it figuratively is to be dishonest.

No. We say it is. You say it isn’t. You can’t have your cake and eat it too.

No. You say it is literally. We say it is figuratively , in a truer unbloody manner.

I don’t think so. The worst I can be is wrong, or ignorant, not dishonest.

1 Like

He clearly said, “This IS My Body” not “This is a symbol of My Body.”

You cannot quote a Augustine as a non believer in the Real Prescene.

How did you work that out? Jesus condemned them for their sinful works - in other words, their DISOBEDIENCE to God’s commandments.

Respectfully, your not answering the question… How do YOU know YOU are interpreting scripture correctly? If you and a fellow christian from your church disagree on the meaning of a scripture line, where do you go to get a final correct answer? The pastor? majority of congregation in agreement?

Peace to ALL

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.